Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Interim though. Write this one off while we can. Beating UGA is a pipe dream. We're not getting over the hump with Gus. Let him come in and be all "rah rah" and let his coordinators coordinate, maybe we'll steal a game we're not supposed to and go to a decent bowl, but start trying to go after PJ Fleck or Jeff Brohm.
I ask with sincerity: do you really think that the AU PTB would give the needed authority to these coaches ? I'm beginning to believe those who claim AU must hire from within or hire someone willing to bend to the "AU way" of running things. Look at your past hires: Bowden from a 1-AA school, who was also associated with Lowder; Tuberville who was a ready puppet if he could get out of OM (he had shamelessly campaigned for the Bama job, so much so that it turned off the Bama brass); Chizik who was a former DC and knew the AU landscape; Malzahn - see Chizik. They turned down Kirby Smart who would have taken the job if they would give him the proper support, i.e., let him run his program. OTOH, in contrast to Smart,they almost hired Petrino, who is as unsavory as they come and is amenable to the "AU way". I guess it's unfair to ask an AU fan such a question, but do you really think they would hire someone that they can't control or one who would only do things that some coaches won't do ?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I ask with sincerity: do you really think that the AU PTB would give the needed authority to these coaches ? I'm beginning to believe those who claim AU must hire from within or hire someone willing to bend to the "AU way" of running things. Look at your past hires: Bowden from a 1-AA school, who was also associated with Lowder; Tuberville who was a ready puppet if he could get out of OM (he had shamelessly campaigned for the Bama job, so much so that it turned off the Bama brass); Chizik who was a former DC and knew the AU landscape; Malzahn - see Chizik. They turned down Kirby Smart who would have taken the job if they would give him the proper support, i.e., let him run his program. OTOH, in contrast to Smart,they almost hired Petrino, who is as unsavory as they come and is amenable to the "AU way". I guess it's unfair to ask an AU fan such a question, but do you really think they would hire someone that they can't control or one who would only do things that some coaches won't do ?
Hopefully JJ is out before the end of the year and we make a good AD hire. That doesn't happen, not much to hope for.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
I just saw this supposedly posted by Phillip Marshall; is this accurate?

"PhillipMarshall 42194 posts 4 hours ago
In Auburn's last five losses - to LSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, Alabama and Georgia - its only second-half touchdown was on the final play of the game in the Sugar Bowl. Other than that play, it has scored a total of three points in the second halves of those games"

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
That is really bad if that is accurate. Not exactly what you would expect from an offensive guru.

I just saw this supposedly posted by Phillip Marshall; is this accurate?

"PhillipMarshall 42194 posts 4 hours ago
In Auburn's last five losses - to LSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, Alabama and Georgia - its only second-half touchdown was on the final play of the game in the Sugar Bowl. Other than that play, it has scored a total of three points in the second halves of those games"

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Gimmick offenses struggle without a generational quarterback. After the referees began stopping play until the defense substituted on plays where the offense did Gus has struggled. His offense is dictated on the defense not executing their reads, not on his players executing their assignments. When the defense executes, they struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
A few rules to a good hire, get a good coach for one. 2 get the board boosters and the like away from the program. One reason Bear and Nick are so good, they RUN the football program, others have been sent back to their corners. One of Shula's biggest issues along with a few others, they did not have TOTAL control. Takes a certain personality to run the riff raff back to their luxury suites. Not all coaches have that personality or power in the program. To be the top dog at a large school, you first have to be a DOG. You have to own that job, and push the talking heads and the like away. Too many programs like auburn have too many chiefs, you can have only one if you want to win titles.

Bidgood

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2011
From a subsequent article in that AL link:

"I'm just doing what I'm told to do and I'm trying to execute at a high level. That's really what it comes down to, just trying to execute the called play."
Interesting that Stidham isn't allowed to check out of plays. (and tell the world about it.)

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
A few rules to a good hire, get a good coach for one. 2 get the board boosters and the like away from the program. One reason Bear and Nick are so good, they RUN the football program, others have been sent back to their corners. One of Shula's biggest issues along with a few others, they did not have TOTAL control. Takes a certain personality to run the riff raff back to their luxury suites. Not all coaches have that personality or power in the program. To be the top dog at a large school, you first have to be a DOG. You have to own that job, and push the talking heads and the like away. Too many programs like auburn have too many chiefs, you can have only one if you want to win titles.
Agreed. We haven't had a CEO type coach since Dye. That needs to change.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
At some point, Gus will have to learn to trust his QB. I can understand it with a playmaker like Marshall, but with a field general type QB like Stidham, you have to let them take the reins.
It is his first year in the offense. Hurts, as well as he played last year, did not change plays at the LOS. He is this year, but he wasn't last year.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Well; Terry Henley is at it again on WJOX. He just said that Auburn got beat by a Coach "that is a booger eatin' moron"
He really should not be that harsh on Gus.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Well; Terry Henley is at it again on WJOX. He just said that Auburn got beat by a Coach "that is a booger eatin' moron"
He really should not be that harsh on Gus.
You can bet that if Del Greco isn't there and there is any hint of controversy, the NTY foundation always sends him in on the OD.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It is his first year in the offense. Hurts, as well as he played last year, did not change plays at the LOS. He is this year, but he wasn't last year.
But he's not a rookie though. His experience at Baylor should be enough to show that he can change plays though. As long Gus micromanage Stidham, it's going to get worse for stidham.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
But he's not a rookie though. His experience at Baylor should be enough to show that he can change plays though. As long Gus micromanage Stidham, it's going to get worse for stidham.
I don't even remember him letting Cam change plays at the LOS. Just part of his deal.

When you think that you are the smartest guy in the room, why would you allow your QB to change your play calls?

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
You can bet that if Del Greco isn't there and there is any hint of controversy, the NTY foundation always sends him in on the OD.
Al ,was not there; and you can be assured Henley would not say that to Coach O's face, that would not end well for him

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.