Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Aside from Myers' son being inappropriately involved with players (sounds like multiple according to the articles that are coming out), the team being "quarantined" for several hours and instructed to destroy texts and not communicate with former players is veeeeeerrrrry bad. If confirmed, and if known by Jacobs without immediate disciplinary action, well say goodbye to AU softball. What decent players and coaches want to come into a program with title IX badness being investigated?
TIFWIW, but got an insider that said pretty emphatically that JJ is clean as a whistle here...

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Aside from Myers' son being inappropriately involved with players (sounds like multiple according to the articles that are coming out), the team being "quarantined" for several hours and instructed to destroy texts and not communicate with former players is veeeeeerrrrry bad. If confirmed, and if known by Jacobs without immediate disciplinary action, well say goodbye to AU softball. What decent players and coaches want to come into a program with title IX badness being investigated?
I'm told the only reason that Corey Myers resigned was that Clint was confronted by a group of players before the Georgia series in Athens and basically said "If Clint is on the bus tomorrow, we will not be."

And I'll say this: there were people close to that program that were well aware of this and they let it continue. And there were good Auburn people asking a hell of a lot of questions that got stonewalled by those people.

Jacobs is toast.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
TIFWIW, but got an insider that said pretty emphatically that JJ is clean as a whistle here...
Then you're insider is a joke

He was a hire made without due diligence, and if JJ didn't know this stuff was going on then that by definition that is lack of institutional control

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
TIFWIW, but got an insider that said pretty emphatically that JJ is dirty here and guilty of what's been alleged..

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Then you're insider is a joke
You don't know that, and in my experience he's been reliable.
Nothing implicates JJ yet. Not saying that couldn't change in a hurry though. If info comes out indicating a he knew and attempted to cover it up, I'll be the first to call for his head to roll. I just have a hard time believing he'd risk exposing us to a Title IX bomb after everything that went down at Baylor.
He was a hire made without due diligence,
You don't know that either. I don't think it's reasonably provable AU knew what went down at ASU.
and if JJ didn't know this stuff was going on then that by definition that is lack of institutional control
That's a term of art regarding NCAA investigations that you're misusing.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
It is the thing I've been saying all along. This thing has been festering for almost a year. Both my kids attend Auburn. It was relatively well known in many circles about Corey's predatory behavior.
That is the reason I asked the question when Corey resigned about "what did Clint and Jay Jacobs' know and when did they know it?". You had to be completely tone deaf or simply trying to "tiptoe past the graveyard".
This was a Title IX train wreck waiting to happen. And this girl possibly has half the softball team's current and former players that willing back her up.
It really goes to show you why nepotism in hiring coaches is not a good thing.

By the sound of it, the allegations (no hard proof yet) came to Clint back in the fall. My thinking is that Clint, being a dad, believed his son, even asking the players to go to bat for Corey. When hard proof came to light, he couldn't deny it any more and told his son he had to go.

Any other coach, he would have been gone with nary a word.

He failed. He abdicated his responsibility to his players in favor of protecting his Neanderthal son. It should have been the end of Clint's career too. At least one of our associate ADs failed to, by the sound of it. Where JJ fits into all of this remains to be seen, but it doesn't look good.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It really goes to show you why nepotism in hiring coaches is not a good thing.

By the sound of it, the allegations (no hard proof yet) came to Clint back in the fall. My thinking is that Clint, being a dad, believed his son, even asking the players to go to bat for Corey. When hard proof came to light, he couldn't deny it any more and told his son he had to go.

Any other coach, he would have been gone with nary a word.

He failed. He abdicated his responsibility to his players in favor of protecting his Neanderthal son. It should have been the end of Clint's career too. At least one of our associate ADs failed to, by the sound of it. Where JJ fits into all of this remains to be seen, but it doesn't look good.

Dub,

That's my point. You know as well as I that many AU message boards were lit up with this stuff (my son frequents several) last fall. And those threads got shut down. Someone in that case was "carrying the water" for someone (who was "toting" and "who's water" I won't speculate here but I've got a good idea).

And my son has been telling me since before Corey stepped down that this was coming. And he was furious. Furious in the fact that no one was stepping in.

If Auburn fans are discussing on THERE message boards, it should cause enough smoke that someone in the athletic department or the school's administration starts asking questions, daddy being the head coach be damned.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
So, is this what we're supposed to believe:

the assistance head coach, during the heart of the season - when AU is an odds on favorite to not only be in the WCWS but to possibly win it - strolls in one day and resigns in order to "spend more time with his family" and JJ isn't intrigued enough to want to know more? JJ shrugs and says "Corey I think that is a great idea and I admire you for reaching that decision so by all means quit your job, abandon your team, dump all the work/responsibilities on your dad, and go hug your kids and kiss the wife." I think most people in positions similar to JJ's would certainly dig a little deeper to learn/understand why one of his key employees is quitting at this most critical of times.

I think it is far more likely, but who knows for certain, JJ did dig a little deeper, didn't like what he was learning, then decided it would be better not to know so he has "plausible deniability." So he issues his statement about how he does indeed admire Corey for wanting to spend more time with his family - cause we all know how important family is on the plains - and hopes the story goes quietly/quickly away. It's difficult to believe Jacobs didn't learn anything about the real cause of his coach quitting - it is, after all, part of his job to find out why one of his employees would leave in such a manner - and should it come out that he did have that knowledge, it will not, and should not, end well for him.

Count me firmly among the I'm not buying it crowd.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
If he didn't know, he should have known. There is no way that an AD can be clean as a whistle when these type of shenanigans are going on and being covered up. It is his job to know what is happening with his sports programs. At a minimum, he should have launched an investigation back in August 2016 when the complaints resulted in Corey's 2 week resignation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Dub,
That's my point. You know as well as I that many AU message boards were lit up with this stuff (my son frequents several) last fall. And those threads got shut down. Someone in that case was "carrying the water" for someone (who was "toting" and "who's water" I won't speculate here but I've got a good idea).
If Auburn fans are discussing on THERE message boards, it should cause enough smoke that someone in the athletic department or the school's administration starts asking questions, daddy being the head coach be damned.
They were, but the AD's hands are actually pretty tied with regard to what is actionable. Stuff bandied about among the fanbase is not, and neither are, by law, anonymous or third party complaints in Title IX cases, for that matter, though I can understand why the players that put forth the complaints did so anonymously.
And my son has been telling me since before Corey stepped down that this was coming. And he was furious. Furious in the fact that no one was stepping in.
We all suspected something ugly was coming down the pipe.

This is the wrong time for AU to "circle the wagons." This isn't the NCAA looking into impermissible benefits, this is the Office of Civil Rights of the federal government that might be coming to visit. It is very important we are open about this. If the investigation into the AD bears fruit and we need to demolish and rebuild from the ground up, so be it.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Something just occurred to me over morning coffee...

Anytime Auburn wins at anything except maybe swimming or equestrian, a scandal ensues soon thereafter

http://www.eagleeyeauburn.com/article/2017/08/exclusive-former-player-details-abusive-environment-inside-auburn-softball

Last edited:

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Audub is right. Now is not the time to deploy the Cam strategy. The OCR is a whole different beast than the keystone kops show based in Indianapolis. The OCR wants heads on pikes to show how powerful they are, justify Title IX (which is rightly being called into question), get additional money, etc. Definitely better lawyer up, but that, paying off potential witnesses and refusing to cooperate won't work this time.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
How would he not know? Does he have an underling that handles day-to-day stuff? Is there a person that runs the women's side of the department?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They were, but the AD's hands are actually pretty tied with regard to what is actionable. Stuff bandied about among the fanbase is not, and neither are, by law, anonymous or third party complaints in Title IX cases, for that matter, though I can understand why the players that put forth the complaints did so anonymously.

We all suspected something ugly was coming down the pipe.

This is the wrong time for AU to "circle the wagons." This isn't the NCAA looking into impermissible benefits, this is the Office of Civil Rights of the federal government that might be coming to visit. It is very important we are open about this. If the investigation into the AD bears fruit and we need to demolish and rebuild from the ground up, so be it.
I have Franklin, Lightfoot handling a 1.5 million suit against Regions for me. I don't want them distracted... :D

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
How can we honestly expect JJ to not know if the talk was so strong among Auburn fans and students and eventually other fan bases and the media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.