Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Of course he is- except for the fact that he "is not". He is the Athletic Director- we all understand Jacobs is protected by the Pat Dye worshiping people at Auburn. But that fact alone is probably their biggest problem. Jacobs is ultimately responsible for this situation.Why? Because he hired Myers and his sons in the first place.
TIFWIW, but got an insider that said pretty emphatically that JJ is clean as a whistle here...

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Myers coached for 27 years in Arizona, including the last 8 at Arizona State, his alma mater. Normally, a favored son who comes back to lead the program and has success is taken care of if another program comes after him. It sure seemed ASU let him go kinda easily to me.

A search on ASU websites will reveal the same rumors about the son in Tempe as what has been floating around auburn.

It sure seems there is at least some potential issues, for auburn, that could pretty easily have been discovered during the hiring process. Either laziness/incompetence can be attributed to au, or else they blatantly ignored things in an effort to once again chase Alabama success in a sport.

And the fact the plan was for the old man to pass it over to his kid adds extra weight to the mess.

Reminiscent of Dana Kirk at Baylor trying to coerce his players to lie about what was going on around the murder of one of their Basketball players.

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-softball-corey-myers-resigns-clint-myers-jay-jacobs

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don't think Auburn has a choice here -- they have to clean house, including Jacobs.

This is the Feds coming, complete with subpoena power and the threat of charges of perjury if witnesses are less than completely truthful. Settling with witnesses might prevent or resolve a civil action brought by those witnesses, but that wouldn't affect a Title IX investigation.

Mess with those witnesses, and you have tampering with a witness in a federal investigation -- and the full weight of the Feds coming down on your head.

If Jacobs knew or should have known what was going on, and did nothing, he has to be gone. If he truly didn't know about something this pervasive, that's a different problem, but he still has to be fired.

If, as the al.com article states, the associate AD tried to force the players to delete the texts, that's a huge problem, and grounds to subpoena the phone records going back as far as they go.

Unless the al.com article is largely wrong (always possible in today's world of what passes for journalism), the NCAA will be the least of Auburn's problems.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't think Auburn has a choice here -- they have to clean house, including Jacobs.

This is the Feds coming, complete with subpoena power and the threat of charges of perjury if witnesses are less than completely truthful. Settling with witnesses might prevent or resolve a civil action brought by those witnesses, but that wouldn't affect a Title IX investigation.

Mess with those witnesses, and you have tampering with a witness in a federal investigation -- and the full weight of the Feds coming down on your head.

If Jacobs knew or should have known what was going on, and did nothing, he has to be gone. If he truly didn't know about something this pervasive, that's a different problem, but he still has to be fired.

If, as the al.com article states, the associate AD tried to force the players to delete the texts, that's a huge problem, and grounds to subpoena the phone records going back as far as they go.

Unless the al.com article is largely wrong (always possible in today's world of what passes for journalism), the NCAA will be the least of Auburn's problems.
The al.com article just took out the big points of the original ESPN article, which used the 14 page complaint for many things. The part about the Associate AD came from the complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
You don't know that, and in my experience he's been reliable.
Nothing implicates JJ yet. Not saying that couldn't change in a hurry though. If info comes out indicating a he knew and attempted to cover it up, I'll be the first to call for his head to roll. I just have a hard time believing he'd risk exposing us to a Title IX bomb after everything that went down at Baylor.

You don't know that either. I don't think it's reasonably provable AU knew what went down at ASU.

That's a term of art regarding NCAA investigations that you're misusing.
Resident NTYF Representative? :cool2:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Can someone give a brief synopsis of what this scandle is about for someone too lazy to go back and read. Asking for a friend. :wink:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
I believe auburn has been involved in shenanigans for years under Jacobs. Even exploiting his own high level boosters - how many remember this issue regarding ticket distribution, which faded quickly in the media, for some reason :rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...l-ticket-woes-raise-major-questions/73315908/

As early as Dec. 7, just days after Auburn beat South Carolina in the 2010 SEC title game, Auburn officials were quoted in news stories explaining that the school’s 17,000 tickets provided by the Fiesta Bowl were spoken for — as the university doled out tickets to donors using a priority list, and also to students, faculty, staff and the band.
Longtime, big-time donors had been limited to one BCS game ticket per top-level season ticket purchased in 2010. Requests for additional tickets by several donors, including at least two in the top 50 of Auburn’s priority list, were turned down, leaving them to search the secondary market and scalpers to find a seat.
Fast-forward nearly four years to last November. The Wall Street Journal, after an exhaustive look into Auburn’s ticket practices and the financial management of a program that had lost $866,000 in 2013, published a story recounting the odd and complicated manner in which the AU athletic department sells tickets.

Included in that story is one sentence that ignited a mini-firestorm among Auburn’s top-level donors: “(One donor) … also had purchased 60 tickets to Auburn’s win over Oregon in the January 2011 national-championship game in Glendale, Ariz.”
Among groups of longtime donors, that sentence became the topic of conversation.
Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs acknowledged that it prompted one donor to set up a meeting just so he could ask questions about the 60-ticket purchase. On fan message boards, the rumors began to swirl.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I believe auburn has been involved in shenanigans for years under Jacobs. Even exploiting his own high level boosters - how many remember this issue regarding ticket distribution, which faded quickly in the media, for some reason :rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...l-ticket-woes-raise-major-questions/73315908/
Fast-forward nearly four years to last November. The Wall Street Journal, after an exhaustive look into Auburn’s ticket practices and the financial management of a program that had lost $866,000 in 2013, published a story recounting the odd and complicated manner in which the AU athletic department sells tickets.
​Not surprised they lost money in today's market. Did you see what LSU was willing to pay for a player? Aubarn is having a tough time keeping up with the Jones.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
Can someone give a brief synopsis of what this scandle is about for someone too lazy to go back and read. Asking for a friend. :wink:
Cliff Notes version; SB Coach's son who is asst coach banging/harassing players. Jacob's et all do their best Sgt Shultz act; again.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Jay Jacobs and Sgt. Schultz do tend to favor each other, don't they?

Now that I think about it, did you ever notice that you don't ever seem them in the same room at the same time? :biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.