Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
No one else wanted the gig, IMO. Gus better win this year and that means beating both Alabama and UGA at home. Lots of pressure to win right now.
Now, they do have the top-notch HS, *u legacy, QB coming in for next year. So, they've got that going for them. Should be a piece of cake for them to run through the schedule undefeated.
ROLL TIDE!

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Amazing. Last year and in 2013 Gus was viewed as the greatest offensive mind ever. Now their fans and admin. want to run him off. Unreal.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Amazing. Last year and in 2013 Gus was viewed as the greatest offensive mind ever. Now their fans and admin. want to run him off. Unreal.
He’s been close a few times. Most recently, he was one loss away from getting fired last year after LSU before going on a run where we were arguably playing the best football in the country. It’s maintaining that high level of play where he fails.

Gus has his strong points. When he has the pieces, his base offense is nearly impossible to stop. He recruits very well.

But he’s stubborn and incapable of adjusting as needed based on what he has rather than what he wants to have. This year was evidence of that.

I have no doubt he is a true believer, though. He loves Auburn and genuinely thinks he can get us to the plateau of the game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He’s been close a few times. Most recently, he was one loss away from getting fired last year after LSU before going on a run where we were arguably playing the best football in the country. It’s maintaining that high level of play where he fails.

Gus has his strong points. When he has the pieces, his base offense is nearly impossible to stop. He recruits very well.

But he’s stubborn and incapable of adjusting as needed based on what he has rather than what he wants to have. This year was evidence of that.

I have no doubt he is a true believer, though. He loves Auburn and genuinely thinks he can get us to the plateau of the game.
Sounds like you are describing Les Miles.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

LSU has been a thorn in your side. Back to back heartbreaking losses to them and you haven't won in Baton Rouge since 1999. I know all Auburn fans are obsessed with beating Alabama and Georgia but LSU has to be priority #1 right now. If he loses in 2019, will the brass make a move in season ?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
LSU has been a thorn in your side. Back to back heartbreaking losses to them and you haven't won in Baton Rouge since 1999. I know all Auburn fans are obsessed with beating Alabama and Georgia but LSU has to be priority #1 right now. If he loses in 2019, will the brass make a move in season ?
I wouldn't be shocked if he's let go after another loss to LSU if we find ourselves at 4-4 or 3-5, or at least it's known he's gone. May do a gentleman's agreement like we did with Gene where he can finish the season.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
LSU vs Auburn is always a great game with costly results. When Les got fired both he and Gus were playing for their jobs. Even when the Barn played for a NT against FSU, they had that one loss to the tiggers.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I wouldn't be shocked if he's let go after another loss to LSU if we find ourselves at 4-4 or 3-5, or at least it's known he's gone. May do a gentleman's agreement like we did with Gene where he can finish the season.
Odd numbered years where you get both Alabama and UGA at home are always the toughest Auburn teams. We'll just to wait and see.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
LSU vs Auburn is always a great game with costly results. When Les got fired both he and Gus were playing for their jobs. Even when the Barn played for a NT against FSU, they had that one loss to the tiggers.
Not much will ever compare to the physicality of those mid-2000's Auburn-LSU games. We hit each other so hard you could feel it in the stands.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Not much will ever compare to the physicality of those mid-2000's Auburn-LSU games. We hit each other so hard you could feel it in the stands.
Auburn lost two heartbreakers down there in 2005 and 2007. Great games and both teams were incredibly talented.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

Isn't this contradictory? If he recruits very well, why doesn't he have the pieces he needs to run his offense?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The agreement in principle was for a reduced buyout. I don’t know about the numbers. We’re still going to end up paying him to go away.

Auburn will pony up if necessary.
Apparently y'all couldn't or it would have happened already...

The buyout reduces by what...$7m next December 1st?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Isn't this contradictory? If he recruits very well, why doesn't he have the pieces he needs to run his offense?
The re$ource$ are tied up by their HC's ridiculous contract...

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think he does recruit well enough, but he struggles with finding the right QB. He hasn't done anything with any QB he has ever recruited. He has always relied on a transfer from another school. I do not follow Auburn recruiting so I don't know if this is because he is striking out on QBs he wants, and settling, or if he is a poor judge of QB talent. He does not do well with pocket passers. He needs a dual threat, IMO. Last year looked nice but ended up still being a 4 loss season because while Stidham has a great arm and isn't a statue in the pocket, he's not a true dual threat.

Either Gus has a fascination with having a pro-style pocket passing QB or he is trying to fit such a QB into an RPO, option read style offense. They have only ever looked truly great when they had Cam and Nick Marshall.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
It's hard to see light at the end of the tunnel for the Gus-man. He hires a new OC, will loss his starting QB to the NFL and a high 4* RB (Asa Martin) is transferring. Oh, and the AU prez has handed over contract renegotiation duties to a Barn Booster.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
I think he does recruit well enough, but he struggles with finding the right QB. He hasn't done anything with any QB he has ever recruited. He has always relied on a transfer from another school. I do not follow Auburn recruiting so I don't know if this is because he is striking out on QBs he wants, and settling, or if he is a poor judge of QB talent. He does not do well with pocket passers. He needs a dual threat, IMO. Last year looked nice but ended up still being a 4 loss season because while Stidham has a great arm and isn't a statue in the pocket, he's not a true dual threat.

Either Gus has a fascination with having a pro-style pocket passing QB or he is trying to fit such a QB into an RPO, option read style offense. They have only ever looked truly great when they had Cam and Nick Marshall.
It's definitely a pieces thing. We've missed on some QBs lately. He can win with a pure passer, a la Stidham, but he'd better have an incredible all around back like Kerryon and a semi functional pass blocking line to make it happen.

But his offense does do a lot better with a dual threat in the backfield. Takes a lot of stress off the RB and line in blocking.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's definitely a pieces thing. We've missed on some QBs lately. He can win with a pure passer, a la Stidham, but he'd better have an incredible all around back like Kerryon and a semi functional pass blocking line to make it happen.
When has he ever done this? I'd assume you don't consider a 4-loss season a 'winning' year.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.