Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I’ve heard that Horton and Gus had some “philosophical differences” on running game coaching concepts. Horton felt like he wasnt spending enough time “teaching and developing” the backs and the running game.
Gus wanted less “position coach time” and more time spend on offense and defensive unit concepts. I believe it has been a point of contention between the two for the last couple of years.
Some believe Horton felt Kerryon was “over extended” in 2017 because of lack of development in others behind Johnson and Pettway.
At least that had been some of the talk floating around campus right after the first of the year.
How can Gus need alot of time spent on offensive team concepts? Doesn't his offense just run variations of the same 3 plays?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
How can Gus need alot of time spent on offensive team concepts? Doesn't his offense just run variations of the same 3 plays?
And that was part of the “philosophical differences“ between Horton and Gus. The direct quote I was given was “Horton wanted to spend more time working on fundamentals and diversifying the running game. Gus wanted to spend more time scrimmaging and in seven on seven.”

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
You would think that they would have a Playbook or sumpin'...

I guess Horton wanted to use more than just cartoon cards. :biggrin:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Well, with the history on Bruce Pearl, it's obvious why he is so successful at awbern.

They have the perfect system in place to facilitate the way he operates. Pat Dye drew up the blueprint and Jay Jacobs implemented it across other sports... :cool2:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
We're loaded there, but Gus had better start getting some production out of these guys or recruiting at the position is going to tank.

Comes down to QB play, and Saturday was promising. Line also seems to have continued the trend upward from the tail end of last season.

D-line still loaded. DB's should be good. Replacement LB corps is the unknown on that side of the ball.

Kicking game should be better than last year with Carlson and Siposs back.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We're loaded there, but Gus had better start getting some production out of these guys or recruiting at the position is going to tank.

Comes down to QB play, and Saturday was promising. Line also seems to have continued the trend upward from the tail end of last season.

D-line still loaded. DB's should be good. Replacement LB corps is the unknown on that side of the ball.

Kicking game should be better than last year with Carlson and Siposs back.
Heard complaints earlier on radio down here - Gus continues to do 1s v 2s, so guys ended up looking better than they probably are.

Gus can do whatever he wants, but I can see how that practice can lead to fans and/or media members getting an over inflated idea of a player, which then in return makes the expectations higher and can lead to frustration when the expectations aren't met.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Heard complaints earlier on radio down here - Gus continues to do 1s v 2s, so guys ended up looking better than they probably are.
Gus can do whatever he wants, but I can see how that practice can lead to fans and/or media members getting an over inflated idea of a player, which then in return makes the expectations higher and can lead to frustration when the expectations aren't met.
That is true.

Of course, after last year, the difference in the o-line is still promising. Last year, the 1st team line simply could not generate push at all at A-day, and that carried over into the season, where that proved to be our undoing. Not until a still not 100% Brahms replaced Kim at center where they started steadily improving toward the end of the season.

But with QBs, you can’t glean too much either way just basing it on the game. Hell, a lot of folks thought Cam Newton was brought in to ride the bench behind Caudle after the 2010 spring game lol.

I do have someone on the inside right now though, one of the DBs, whose mom I work with. Her son still isn’t certain who it will be, but in the live scrimmages were described as “Joey is 1A, Bo is 1B, Malik is, well, Malik.”

I think it’s going to be Gatewood because word is he’s come a long way as a passer, along with his running ability. Not that Nix is a slouch in that department, he’s as slippery as they come. It’s that Gatewood’s size makes that inverted veer and power read we loved to run with Cam an option again.

But I’d be happy with either at the moment.

Last edited:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I hear a portal door opening...
That is true.

Of course, after last year, the difference in the o-line is still promising. Last year, the 1st team line simply could not generate push at all at A-day, and that carried over into the season, where that proved to be our undoing. Not until a still not 100% Brahms replaced Kim at center where they started steadily improved toward the end of the season.

But with QBs, you can’t glean too much either way just basing it on the game. Hell, a lot of folks thought Cam Newton was brought in to ride the bench behind Caudle after the 2010 spring game lol.

I do have someone on the inside right now though, one of the DBs, whose mom I work with. Her son still isn’t certain who it will be, but in the live scrimmages were described as “Joey is 1A, Bo is 1B, Malik is, well, Malik.”

I think it’s going to be Gatewood because word is he’s come a long way as a passer, along with his running ability. Not that Nix is a slouch in that department, he’s as slippery as they come. It’s that Gatewood’s size makes that inverted veer and power read we loved to run with Cam an option again.

But I’d be happy with either at the moment.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
“We’re going to be the best receiving corps in the nation,” Hill said. “Forget Clemson, forget Alabama. We’re going to make some plays.”

No comment needed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.