Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I ask this question, to that money-driven part of each and every one of us:

What is your price to “shut your mouth?”
...and on the flip-side, what are you willing to pay someone to “shut their mouth.”

Here...we get a glimpse into where the cross-section of those two figures seems to be...at least between these two entities.
It depends on what I'm being told to keep quiet about. College athletics malfeasance? LOL, 4.5 mill will easily do the trick.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Anytime that you give someone more than what their contract stipulated for a buyout...you have got something to hide.

They did this with Chizik as well. Without investigating, I suspect that Bowden, Wingnut and others could be included in this category... :cool2:

TiderinAZ

1st Team
Sep 20, 2015
Carefree, AZ
I don’t get the aub hype. Just based on a great dline? LSU always has a great defense, but if you can’t score, you won’t beat elite teams. Their starting QB will have zero experience and the oline was terrible last year. Just because the oline is more experienced doesn’t necessarily translate to being better. Just my two cents. I think Oregon has a good shot at the win, I believe Mario will have them more physical than teams past.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Don’t know about that but they are past due for a good season. I’m thinking they overachieve this year and get to double digits in wins.
They're hard to figure. Historically the University of Auburn does well when they are predicted for a bad season and stink it up when given pre-season props to finish well (which would have included beating us).
So I rather like it when their pre-season pub is predicting wonderful things for them.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Anyone else think if they don't get 10 wins they fire malzahn!)
Depends on who they beat. 10-2, losing to us close, he stays. 10-2 losing to us by 21+, it’s a tossup whether he’s there next year.

But 8-4, beating us, he stays. 7-5, beating us, it’s a tossup. For Malzahn to get gone, even beating us, he’d have to be 5-6 going in, already announced that he isn’t coming back, and pulls the upset. And I see them at 5-6 as highly unlikely.

I really believe a win over us offsets at least three losses, and maybe four. Which, ironically, is a major reason they’ll never be a consistent contender.

IOW, it’ll probably come down to the Alabama game.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think it depends on how that first game against Oregon goes. If they lose, it could get bad for Gus. If they lose ugly, then watch out. If they are 2-2 with losses to Oregon and TAMU with MSU and Florida on the horizon, the temperature gets turned up on Gus.

Evidently neither Gatewood or Nix performed well in the first scrimmage. So it looks like Gus is back in the position of "developing" an quarterback, which is his expertise, right? (cough, cough).

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I think it depends on how that first game against Oregon goes. If they lose, it could get bad for Gus. If they lose ugly, then watch out. If they are 2-2 with losses to Oregon and TAMU with MSU and Florida on the horizon, the temperature gets turned up on Gus.

Evidently neither Gatewood or Nix performed well in the first scrimmage. So it looks like Gus is back in the position of "developing" an quarterback, which is his expertise, right? (cough, cough).
The defense winning the first scrimmage is pretty much the norm, so I'm not too concerned yet. Plus the QB's weren't live and that takes away one of our best options with Gatewood, seeing as we expect him to be a "power read" type QB.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Gotta give Gus credit, with all the turbulence surrounding the program, we’re tearing it up in recruiting. Went from 29th to 6th on the 247 composite since Big Cat. Looked like we were going to underwhelm badly on the trail this year, and now we have a top 6 class before the first game. Cadillac, Kodi and T-Will were great hires and are straight beasting on the trail.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Keeping a job can be a huge motivator. I suspect that Gus will have a decent year this season and they have Saban at JHS where Nick does not have a great record. We’ ll see what happens but as usual it will all come down to the Alabama game for Gus and Christi.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I don't keep up with their roster losses/gains but, as always with Auburn, it's gonna come down to QB play. They live and die with having the right fit. Everyone knows Gus really doesn't develop a QB but he inherits (almost accidently) whatever the football gods give him and that's one reason why they over/under achieve so much. If I were an Auburn fan it would drive me nuts.

To give CNS credit, he's shown much more creativity on offense to adapt to what he has to work with than Gus who is supposed to be an offensive guru. But Gus is really just a one-trick pony that needs a certain type of QB to make them a NC threat.

Historically, you could have made a decent fortune betting the barn would finish the regular season 8-4. I think they'll be +1/-1 on that "average."

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL

QB development is the key to the AU season. Gus has shown himself to be completely inept at actually developing QBs... any success he has had has come from upperclassmen transfers. I don't see any reason this trend should change, but with above-average QB play and the AU defense (at least the starters -- they have depth issues) they could make some noise and the Iron Bowl could determine the West champion.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
QB development is the key to the AU season. Gus has shown himself to be completely inept at actually developing QBs... any success he has had has come from upperclassmen transfers. I don't see any reason this trend should change, but with above-average QB play and the AU defense (at least the starters -- they have depth issues) they could make some noise and the Iron Bowl could determine the West champion.
I would agree. No question Auburn has playmakers on offense. The big questions will be quarterback play and has the o-line really improved?

The d-line is good (and deep). LBs are talented but lack experience. I look for the secondary to be improved but still questionable in coverage against top receivers.

Still they have talent to be in the discussion about the West.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Eh, Snowboard Cam was good enough to win some football games before his shoulder fell off and he partied his way off the team.

And Gus developed the crap out of Nick Marshall. He was never going to be an NFL QB, but he was a pretty good all around college QB by the end of his senior season.

If Gatewood performs well, we can probably put the "Gus can't develop a QB" reputation to bed. He was an unpolished project QB coming out of high school.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.