Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
So back to football. We just got a big time GT from UMass. 6'5 300 pound Jack Driscoll. Graded as the 2nd best returning Go5 tackle going into next season. Has 2 to play 2. Can play anywhere on the line. Suddenly feel a lot better about our OL depth.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
The 2017 Iron Bowl has to be the most hollow drubbing Auburn has ever administered to Alabama.

It was a whipping, no doubt. But they followed it up with a performance in the SECCG at least as bad as the Alabama game was good.

Then followed that up with a lackluster game and loss to Central Florida, ending the season with 4 losses.

And followed that up by watching Alabama beat the team they lost to in the SECCG, winning the national championship in the process.

They invest so much emotion and effort into beating Alabama that it costs them winning championships. So long as that continues, we know what their true aspirations are, and aren't.
The end of last season was college football hell, baw.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't really have a problem with the rings existing but I wouldn't be parading around SEC West championship rings if my team then lost the SEC championship game and then lost to a lower division team in a bowl game and ended up with 4 losses. It's just bad optics considering how the season ended for AU. If Bama were in the same situation I'd be embarrassed if anyone officially associated with the university were showing these off like they were some big accomplishment. I'm sure some AU fans feel the same way..
This. This. This.

Granted, social media was not nearly as popular in 2008 as it is today, but I don't recall any publicizing on UA's behalf of the 2008 West rings.
The 2017 Iron Bowl has to be the most hollow drubbing Auburn has ever administered to Alabama.

It was a whipping, no doubt. But they followed it up with a performance in the SECCG at least as bad as the Alabama game was good.

Then followed that up with a lackluster game and loss to Central Florida, ending the season with 4 losses.

And followed that up by watching Alabama beat the team they lost to in the SECCG, winning the national championship in the process.

They invest so much emotion and effort into beating Alabama that it costs them winning championships. So long as that continues, we know what their true aspirations are, and aren't.
Something about that game that continues to go unmentioned by UCF fans and media members is the injuries Auburn had. Best DB on the team was absent. Kerryon wasn't 100%. OL was a wreck.

Should they have lost to UCF? No way.

But some across the nation act like UCF beat the same Auburn team that beat Georgia by 20+.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
This. This. This.

Granted, social media was not nearly as popular in 2008 as it is today, but I don't recall any publicizing on UA's behalf of the 2008 West rings.

Something about that game that continues to go unmentioned by UCF fans and media members is the injuries Auburn had. Best DB on the team was absent. Kerryon wasn't 100%. OL was a wreck.

Should they have lost to UCF? No way.

But some across the nation act like UCF beat the same Auburn team that beat Georgia by 20+.
If Awbarn had known that they were playing UCF for the NC I'm sure they would have performed much better than they did. Great job by UCF keeping the NC implications to what appeared to be a meaningless bowl game secret for so long.

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
Re: Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

Gus gonna ride this for all it’s worth [emoji58]

It's strange that an SEC head coach has such a loser mentality. Does he also have a shirt for the 2013 runner up national championship?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
In 2008, Saban and Bama were climbing, climbing up from a fairly low spot. The preceding year had been promising until a losing streak left us with a mediocre record. We had no recent success to speak of at that time so we looked to mark progress. 2017 Auburn still has the memory of 2013 somewhat fresh as the recent highwater mark and is the 5th year for Gus, a point in time where expectations are much higher generally than year 2. And I do like to point out that 2017 included a come from ahead loss to Ed Orgeron, a fairly rare accomplishment in itself. I think it's more odd to celebrate a stepping stone in year 5 than in year 2.The golf shirt is nice touch, good to see Gus aul in like that.
So it's different because... reasons?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just seems to me like they needed to award themselves for something and this is all they had left after losing their last 2 games. It is a participation trophy for playing in the SECCG and losing.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
If memory serves, Gus just got an extension/raise (?). Even so, with the way last season ended in such a thud, Is he on any semblance of a hot seat? Even warm ? Oh wait, as I type this, I realized the answer to my question. They beat Georgia ( at least did so once, anyway ) and us in the same year. Never mind.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If memory serves, Gus just got an extension/raise (?). Even so, with the way last season ended in such a thud, Is he on any semblance of a hot seat? Even warm ? Oh wait, as I type this, I realized the answer to my question. They beat Georgia ( at least did so once, anyway ) and us in the same year. Never mind.
He signed a $49 million contract for the next 7 years (75% guaranteed). He's not anywhere near a hot seat.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Just my opinion, but I think Gus is probably in the top 4 or 5 among SEC HC’s in terms of “Job Security” as things stand now.

And even though we crapped the bed against them in November, I hope Gus is the boog coach FOREVER. He’s good enough to keep the boogs happy most of the time (which keeps the booster checkbooks in their pockets) But NOT good enough to dominate. Even in the next era of Alabama football (which I hope is still years away) he won’t “own” the State.

Funny thing is, had the roles been reversed, and Gus lost to UA but somehow won the NC, Gus would be LESS secure in his job than he is now. That’s how nutty that bunch is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Wow! Not a good wow...but a sad wow...not for the Myers clan or the auburn clan....but for the girls.
If it's even possible, this will turn out to be the worst hire of Jay Jacobs career and that's saying a mouth full right there. They better get ready for the lawsuits to rain down from above.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Just saw that the new AD fired 6 administrators...after extending the contract of Bruce Pearl who refused to talk to his own leadership.

Some things are just incomprehensible...
The sad truth over there with that SICK bunch, is that they'd hire Harvey Weinstein to coach there, AND they'd extend his contract IF he could beat "You Know Who".

The culture there is THAT warped. :(

If it's even possible, this will turn out to be the worst hire of Jay Jacobs career and that's saying a mouth full right there. They better get ready for the lawsuits to rain down from above.
Couldn't happen to a More DESERVING bunch.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
The sad truth over there with that SICK bunch, is that they'd hire Harvey Weinstein to coach there, AND they'd extend his contract IF he could beat "You Know Who".

The culture there is THAT warped. :(

Couldn't happen to a More DESERVING bunch.
Now UF has hired Jacobs. The #metoo movement must have not made it down there yet.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.