Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Eh, Snowboard Cam was good enough to win some football games before his shoulder fell off and he partied his way off the team.

And Gus developed the crap out of Nick Marshall. He was never going to be an NFL QB, but he was a pretty good all around college QB by the end of his senior season.

If Gatewood performs well, we can probably put the "Gus can't develop a QB" reputation to bed. He was an unpolished project QB coming out of high school.
I know that you want your team to do well, so you support Gus while he is your head coach. My Question - Do you want Gus to be your head coach or are you just supporting him because he is your head coach?

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I think AU will struggle this year due to the schedule they face and having to play an inexperienced QB. That's not a recipe for success in the SEC. I see them losing 4 games, possibly more. Losses to UGA and Bama cold be ugly, which would put an end to Malzahn's career on the Plains.

Oregon - toss up
A&M - toss up
UF - loss
LSU - loss
UGA - loss
Bama - loss

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I know that you want your team to do well, so you support Gus while he is your head coach. My Question - Do you want Gus to be your head coach or are you just supporting him because he is your head coach?
I'm pretty much ready to move on unless he puts together a quality season this year, but I think the QB thing is one that sounds a bit better given a little context.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
I think AU will struggle this year due to the schedule they face and having to play an inexperienced QB. That's not a recipe for success in the SEC. I see them losing 4 games, possibly more. Losses to UGA and Bama cold be ugly, which would put an end to Malzahn's career on the Plains.

Oregon - toss up
A&M - toss up
UF - loss
LSU - loss
UGA - loss
Bama - loss
Think around 8-5 with a 15+ ranking is our ceiling if the O-line doesn't continue their improvement from the end of last season and we don't get some quality play from whoever the QB happens to be.

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL
Eh, Snowboard Cam was good enough to win some football games before his shoulder fell off and he partied his way off the team.

And Gus developed the crap out of Nick Marshall. He was never going to be an NFL QB, but he was a pretty good all around college QB by the end of his senior season.

If Gatewood performs well, we can probably put the "Gus can't develop a QB" reputation to bed. He was an unpolished project QB coming out of high school.

It's interesting to me that both of the young QBs have such different skill sets coming out of HS. This would seem to mean that the coaches better make a QB decision early in the Fall since the offense each QB runs is so different.

I would be interested in hearing your take on this.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

You are going to have a hard time convincing anybody outside of Auburn about that. Cam was a once and a lifetime gift and Nick Marshall's gift was he was a great runner and very, very fortunate passer. Most of his long balls were 50-50s. Gus needs an elite runner who is a good passer. I don't think he made Cam or Nick any better or worse.

BTW, not sure who snowboard cam is, but nobody outside of Auburn can name a recent QB not named Cam or NM anyway.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
The way I see it this year down on the plains:

I think for Gus being retained the key is getting to 9 wins. IF he is 9-3 and has losses to Georgia and Bama the outcry for him to be fired will very loud but I just don’t see them pulling the trigger. Any scenario involving 8 wins or less and it starts to get dicey.

A minimum of 8 wins combined with a win over Bama—Gus stays

8 or fewer wins combined with a loss to Bama —Gus is fired

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
You are going to have a hard time convincing anybody outside of Auburn about that. Cam was a once and a lifetime gift and Nick Marshall's gift was he was a great runner and very, very fortunate passer. Most of his long balls were 50-50s. Gus needs an elite runner who is a good passer. I don't think he made Cam or Nick any better or worse.

BTW, not sure who snowboard cam is, but nobody outside of Auburn can name a recent QB not named Cam or NM anyway.
Snowboard Cam is Sean White.

Youll get no argument from anyone with a brain that Marshall’s best weapon was his legs and shiftiness in the open field, and yeah, there was a healthy dose of throwing it up and letting Sammie or Duke make the play, but he could absolutely hit his spots when needed and got a lot better as his career wore on.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

So is Gus the official QB Coach...? :confused:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
7 wins, 1 for sure loss, 4 Toss ups. Gus needs to win at least 2 of the Toss Ups and one of them needs to be UGA or Alabama. If he goes 1-3 in the toss up games and the 1 is Alabama he is safe. He is going to be hard pressed to win 9 games.

Oregon (Atlanta) W
Tulane (Home). W
Kent St (Home). W
TAMU (Away). Toss Up
MSU (Home). W
Florida (Road). Toss Up
Arkansas (Road). W
LSU (Road). L
Ole Miss (Home). W
UGA (Home) Toss Up
Samford (Home). W
Alabama (Home). Toss Up

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
7 wins, 1 for sure loss, 4 Toss ups. Gus needs to win at least 2 of the Toss Ups and one of them needs to be UGA or Alabama. If he goes 1-3 in the toss up games and the 1 is Alabama he is safe. He is going to be hard pressed to win 9 games.

Oregon (Atlanta) W
Tulane (Home). W
Kent St (Home). W
TAMU (Away). Toss Up
MSU (Home). W
Florida (Road). Toss Up
Arkansas (Road). W
LSU (Road). L
Ole Miss (Home). W
UGA (Home) Toss Up
Samford (Home). W
Alabama (Home). Toss Up
Alabama and Georgia are both significantly better than LSU, but LSU is a sure win while Alabama & Georgia are toss-ups?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The Barn plays Uga and us at home. Weird things regularly happen in Jordan-Hare.
Still doesn't make it a toss up, or even close. Alabama fans will worry about it because that is what they do, but Alabama will be a significant favorite.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Alabama and Georgia are both significantly better than LSU, but LSU is a sure win while Alabama & Georgia are toss-ups?

I agree that both Alabama and UGA are better than LSU, but the auburn vs LSU game is on the bayou and strange things happen down there. I have seen too many UGA and Alabama teams that should have won easily in JH leave with an L. Not saying it is going to happen, just that I would not bet on both of them beating auburn in JH.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I agree that both Alabama and UGA are better than LSU, but the auburn vs LSU game is on the bayou and strange things happen down there. I have seen too many UGA and Alabama teams that should have won easily in JH leave with an L. Not saying it is going to happen, just that I would not bet on both of them beating auburn in JH.
When should Alabama have won easily and lost in J-H? Not once. Actually, Bama has played over their heads more than not: 1995, 1997, 2001, 2003 come to mind. IMO, only 2005 and 2017 have they played a poor game. They barely escaped in 2009 but that was the only really close call. They've only played them 14 times. AU was fortunate to play 6 of those 14 games while Bama had crippling sanctions.

Richt had a 5-3 record in J-H. I don't remember one upset, in fact, UGA probably upset AU a time or two. AU is 29-20 vs P5 teams in J-H since 2008, Bama is 41-4 in B-D.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.