Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Auburn is really going "All in" on winning the State Championship

Okay. I get it. They won the Iron Bowl, good for them bad for us. But this has gotten way too stupid even for Auburn standards lately. First Daniel Carlson made the jab "They may of won the National Championship, but we won the State Championship" on Finebaum. I can see that as a stupid remark that is factually true, but is just there to fan the flames of a rivalry. But these guys just went full stupid by getting SECW rings and painting 2017 SECW Champs in their locker room. SMH

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...n-shows-off-2017-sec-west-championship-rings/

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Re: Auburn is really going "All in" on winning the State Championship

Okay. I get it. They won the Iron Bowl, good for them bad for us. But this has gotten way too stupid even for Auburn standards lately. First Daniel Carlson made the jab "They may of won the National Championship, but we won the State Championship" on Finebaum. I can see that as a stupid remark that is factually true, but is just there to fan the flames of a rivalry. But these guys just went full stupid by getting SECW rings and painting 2017 SECW Champs in their locker room. SMH

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...n-shows-off-2017-sec-west-championship-rings/
Fine....whatever.....let it go. We did the same thing a few years back as far as the rings are concerned.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

Not that I think it matters or is a big deal, but at least in '08 we were the sole West Champs, in '17 auburn is Co-Champion (although I didn't see that on their ring). It's the tiebreaker criteria that sent them to ATL. Anyway, at the end of the day auburn is gonna auburn.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

I actually don't have a problem with stuff commemorating an actual championship of some sort. Now, when South Carolina got rings for their 10-win season... that's a little strange. Also, UCF's national championship claim -- don't get me started (there's another thread on that anyway).

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I suppose it just equates to what some folks consider a championship. I don't consider winning a division as winning a championship. It seems like there was a year when the SEC was still only 12 teams and there was a three way tie for the division. If half the teams can claim a championship, it really isn't worth claiming in my book. To me, winning a division just qualifies you to play for a championship. Winning the SEC title is big to me, and winning the national title is huge to me. Those are the only two I care to claim, but to each his own. I'm just glad we have so many SEC and national titles to claim. Roll Tide!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I suppose it just equates to what some folks consider a championship. I don't consider winning a division as winning a championship. It seems like there was a year when the SEC was still only 12 teams and there was a three way tie for the division. If half the teams can claim a championship, it really isn't worth claiming in my book. To me, winning a division just qualifies you to play for a championship. Winning the SEC title is big to me, and winning the national title is huge to me. Those are the only two I care to claim, but to each his own. I'm just glad we have so many SEC and national titles to claim. Roll Tide!
I`ll go out on a limb and say that I believe that most Bama fans would subscribe to this. I know I do.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Same action, but perceived differently when a coach does it in his 5th year versus 2nd year.
And publicize it.

And when the rival school wins the national title.

And when said coach is only a few years removed from playing for the national title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It's different because it's celebrating regression.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
An interesting perspective. Would make for an interesting question to CNS over a glass of wine while peering thoughtfully out over the lake. Wish I knew him that well ! :) I think it might be safe to say that the expectations of the program and the fandom are beyond division championships. They weren`t so much in `08. We were still pretty much trying to find our way out of the wilderness.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I think it is easy for Bama fans to only want to claim the NC and SEC championships, after all, we have dozens of them. But what if we only had 2 NC and 5 SEC titles? I don't know how many SEC titles Auburn has and I am not just talking about Auburn. I would guess that most fans think winning a division title (even a shared one) is a big deal. It is for them. We have an abundance of wealth. Roll Tide.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
They’ve locked in for $49 million with what has basically been an “8-4” coach for his tenure.

Spending that kind of money, you need to find something to celebrate.....

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't really have a problem with the rings existing but I wouldn't be parading around SEC West championship rings if my team then lost the SEC championship game and then lost to a lower division team in a bowl game and ended up with 4 losses. It's just bad optics considering how the season ended for AU. If Bama were in the same situation I'd be embarrassed if anyone officially associated with the university were showing these off like they were some big accomplishment. I'm sure some AU fans feel the same way..

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The 2017 Iron Bowl has to be the most hollow drubbing Auburn has ever administered to Alabama.

It was a whipping, no doubt. But they followed it up with a performance in the SECCG at least as bad as the Alabama game was good.

Then followed that up with a lackluster game and loss to Central Florida, ending the season with 4 losses.

And followed that up by watching Alabama beat the team they lost to in the SECCG, winning the national championship in the process.

They invest so much emotion and effort into beating Alabama that it costs them winning championships. So long as that continues, we know what their true aspirations are, and aren't.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.