Who Remembers The Birmingham Americans? Paging Alabama Mike...

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Look what I found this weekend in storage...

In the star are 3 signatures - Dennis Homan, Larry Willingham ( an aub I believe) and George Mira, the poster boy here

Used to hang in my bedroom as a kid - man, where does the time go?

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I listened to every game on the radio. Very few were televised. Birmingham is the undisputed champion of the WFL, since they won the first and only World Bowl. The league disbanded in the middle of the next year. I remember a receiver named Alfred Jenkins was their best player. I think he played for several years with the falcons, after the league folded.

Last edited:

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
I listened to every game on the radio. Very few were televised. Birmingham is the undistributed champion of the WFL, since they won the first and only World Bowl. The league disbanded in the middle of the next year. I remember a receiver named Alfred Jenkins was their best player. I think he played for several years with the falcons, after the league folded.
Good call - I remember Jenkins and think you are right on that

I listened as well, on my Dolby AM/FM eight track home stereo in my bedroom, as well as attending a few games

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
I truly remember them...I've been a WFL guy since I was a kid. I met and became friends with Dennis Homan and Johnny Musso among other players.
Here is a link to my site about the WFL Americans & Vulcans. I did have a regular website with game summaries, player bios, general info, and pictures, but it got to be too much trouble to update, so I changed it to a blog. Its been a load of fun and I still have fun at it.

I hosted the 30th Anniversary reunion for the Americans at the ASHOF back in 2004. This is me with Dennis at the reunion, after a fan brought one of Dennis' jerseys to show him, then proceeded to GIVE him the jersey. Great gesture, great memory.

Last edited:

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Look what I found this weekend in storage...

In the star are 3 signatures - Dennis Homan, Larry Willingham ( an aub I believe) and George Mira, the poster boy here

Used to hang in my bedroom as a kid - man, where does the time go?

Very cool...

George Mira was the QB for my hometown Montreal Alouettes up here in the early '70's...

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I remember the Birmingham Fire and the Birmingham Barracudas. Does that count?
NO! LOL. The Americans/Vulcans along with the Stallions were cool. After that it was like oh no not this again. Being young they captured my imagination but after a certain person killed the USFL, that did it for me.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I listened to every game on the radio. Very few were televised. Birmingham is the undistributed champion of the WFL, since they won the first and only World Bowl. The league disbanded in the middle of the next year. I remember a receiver named Alfred Jenkins was their best player. I think he played for several years with the falcons, after the league folded.
:):):wink:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Yes -- even went to a game or two. Those were the days....who was the big QB out of Southern Miss (I think)? He could throw the ball the length of the field....
Matthew Reed. Played at Grambling. Was the back up to George Mira in that championship season. It was said he could "throw a football 60-70 yards from his knees".

Wasn't really much of a passer but boy could he scramble from the pocket.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.