News Article: Year of the QB could cut both ways for Alabama

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This part makes no sense as it is written.....I THINK I know what he means....

With the exception of one weird, single-digit, rough-and-tumble game against LSU on Nov. 5, 2011, Alabama doesn’t make a habit out of losing by virtue of defense and running the football. Rather, the losses come almost exclusively as the result of quality quarterback play.

???????

That's because if Alabama plays defense and runs the ball, you tend to win. I THINK what he means is, "Alabama rarely loses the traditional way - a leaky defense and permitting the opposition to run the ball." There are a dozen ways to say it better syntactically.....this guy struck out.

Since 2010, quarterbacks who have beaten Alabama have averaged 243.8 yards per game, 64.9 percent completions and a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 5.2 to 1. By comparison, losing quarterbacks average 174.1 yards per game, 51.5 percent completions and throw far more interceptions (105) than touchdowns (64).

Think of all-conference talents such as Deshaun Watson, Chad Kelly, Johnny Manziel and Cam Newton carving up Nick Saban’s defense.

He must have watched a different Cam Newton than I did.....13 for 20 for 216 and 3 TDs is a good day as far as the TDs, but it's about HALF of what Watson did (405 and 420). Indeed, MOST of this statistical disparity is due to ONE guy, DeShaun Watson.

Or recall career-type performances from Cardale Jones, Trevor Knight, Bo Wallace and Stephen Garcia.

Garcia passed for 201 yards.....I mean, they won but it's not exactly like he set the world on fire, either.

This is not even in the same ballpark of Manziel throwing for 464 yards in a losing effort (and is he counting those numbers?) or Watson's 400-yard plus games.

Alabama reached the playoff feasting on mostly subpar quarterbacks.

Keep reading....it's important.....

Remember, Sam Darnold wasn’t yet the starter at USC during the season-opener

Unless Sam Darnold was somehow going to play DEFENSE and stop those 242 rushing yards, this doesn't matter. Does anyone really think one player is worth 46 points?

unheard of three non-offensive touchdowns, Kelly would have beaten Bama for the second time in a row

part he doesn't mention......Kelly was personally responsible for TWO of those three TDs.........

but let Watson run roughshod during the national title game.

And despite that it took TWO pick play TDs to beat us....

To have a shot against Bama, you must have a difference-maker at quarterback.

What you mostly need is a guy who doesn't turn the ball over.....

It has been proclaimed on this site and others that this is the Year of the Quarterback in college football,

Which is about as irrelevant as if you crashed an Irrelevant Van into a Warehouse full of Irrelevancy....

Francois might have gotten knocked around a bunch as a redshirt freshman at Florida State last season, but he still threw for 3,350 yards.

They also played two of the worst passing defenses in the country

Stidham, on the other hand, is garnering Heisman Trophy buzz during his first season at Auburn.

Remember when Jeremiah Mazoli was going to be the bomb at Ole Miss?

Across the state, Mississippi State brings back Nick Fitzgerald, who was the most productive quarterback in the league in terms of total yards in his first season as a starter.

Is this the same Nick Fitzgerald who got his team all of 3 points last year as one of those alleged weak QBs Alabama ran up big numbers against? Or is there another guy with the same name now playing the same position on the same team?

Austin Allen, who threw for 400 yards against Alabama last season, is back at Arkansas for his second year as a starter.

He also threw three interceptions and over 100 yards passing with a touchdown to the Hawgs second leading receiver, Alabama DB Minkah Fitzpatrick.

Going a step further, if Alabama reaches the SEC Championship Game for the third year in a row, the defense might not get another Treon Harris or Austin Appleby to toy around with

Well, Florida hasn't exactly been completing ANY season with the starting QB since perhaps Tebow.....

Slow news day at "The WWL?"

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It doesn't help matters any when we face an elite QB and his OL never seems to get called for holding. I would love to see a stat showing how few holding penalties were called in those games we lost to those QB's mentioned.
Took a look to see how things went. Also included the 2013 TAMU and 2013 Auburn games since they get thrown into similar discussions on how to beat Alabama. Number in parenthesis indicates the number of holding calls accepted.

2010 Auburn - 0
2012 TAMU - 1
2013 TAMU - 1 (1)
2013 Auburn - 1 (1)
2013 Oklahoma - 2 (1)
2014 Ole Miss - 0
2014 Ohio State - 0
2015 Ole Miss - 0
2015 Clemson - 0
2016 Ole Miss - 1 (1)
2016 Clemson - 0

The only games where Alabama had less penalties than its opponent were 2013 Oklahoma (11-6), 2015 Ole Miss (8-4), and 2015 Clemson (4-2). Ohio State and Alabama each had 4 penalties in the 2014 game. In the other seven games, Alabama averaged 8.1 penalties while it's opponents averaged 3.9 penalties.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Took a look to see how things went. Also included the 2013 TAMU and 2013 Auburn games since they get thrown into similar discussions on how to beat Alabama. Number in parenthesis indicates the number of holding calls accepted.

2010 Auburn - 0
2012 TAMU - 1
2013 TAMU - 1 (1)
2013 Auburn - 1 (1)
2013 Oklahoma - 2 (1)
2014 Ole Miss - 0
2014 Ohio State - 0
2015 Ole Miss - 0
2015 Clemson - 0
2016 Ole Miss - 1 (1)
2016 Clemson - 0

The only games where Alabama had less penalties than its opponent were 2013 Oklahoma (11-6), 2015 Ole Miss (8-4), and 2015 Clemson (4-2). Ohio State and Alabama each had 4 penalties in the 2014 game. In the other seven games, Alabama averaged 8.1 penalties while it's opponents averaged 3.9 penalties.
Well clearly we are paying refs. (Blue font)

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I know that we've been over this before, but that's just wrong...

2010 Auburn - 0
2012 TAMU - 1
2013 TAMU - 1 (1)
2013 Auburn - 1 (1)
2013 Oklahoma - 2 (1)
2014 Ole Miss - 0
2014 Ohio State - 0
2015 Ole Miss - 0
2015 Clemson - 0
2016 Ole Miss - 1 (1)
2016 Clemson - 0

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Penalties are interesting...we had by far the best defense and pass rush in the country, but minimal holding penalties called on our opponents. Either we were so fast they could not hold us -- or -- my choice -- the refs took it upon themselves to make the game "fair" because they could see that other teams could not block us. I'm not whining here...just wondering how this continues from year to year. Do our analysts not send tape to the SEC and NCAA officiating offices?

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Since 2010, quarterbacks who have beaten Alabama have averaged 243.8 yards per game, 64.9 percent completions and a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 5.2 to 1. By comparison, losing quarterbacks average 174.1 yards per game, 51.5 percent completions and throw far more interceptions (105) than touchdowns (64).
I always love analysis like this. So you're telling me the stats of a guy on a team that beat us were better than the stats of guys who didn't beat us? Amazing!

I was in a forum for another team that I am a fan of and some other fans were saying we should get rid of a player because "his stats are worse against top teams". Yeah - that's WHY they are good teams. I think stats are a great thing to have out there, but the amount of people that think you can just put stats out there without thinking about why they happen is mind numbing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.