News Article: Year of the QB could cut both ways for Alabama

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Year of the QB could cut both ways for Alabama

So, I guess it is official that we have moved on from the "mobile QBs beat Alabama" to Elite level college QBs have more success against Alabama than non elite QBs. This kind of take seems glaringly obvious and unoriginal. Or maybe it is "your QB can't have a bad game and beat Alabama." I just don't see how these articles are still being written considering a 12 year old football fan could tell you that elite play at the QB position helps you win games even against otherwise superior teams.

With the secondary we have this year looking like it could be the best we have had in years I actually expect a slight improvement in our pass D even against higher level QBs. I'm also not convinced that a lot of the QBs we are facing this year will be as good as advertised.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Interviewer: "What are you going to try to do in the second half to have success?"
Coach: "Well, I think that if we can execute, then we should be able to move the ball on offense and stop them on defense. If we can do that, and score some points, and keep them from scoring, I think we've got a good chance."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
[bookmarks link for December when Scarbrough writes Alabama's defense didn't face a good QB]

Seriously, I hope he doesn't think he came up with the secret to beat Alabama. It's been pretty obvious - have a world beater at QB and hope Alabama makes a few mistakes (TOs and/or missed FGs).

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
[bookmarks link for December when Scarbrough writes Alabama's defense didn't face a good QB]

Seriously, I hope he doesn't think he came up with the secret to beat Alabama. It's been pretty obvious - have a world beater at QB and hope Alabama makes a few mistakes (TOs and/or missed FGs).
Exactly. The QB position in college football is the true "great equalizer." We have more talent and depth than probably any team in the country with teams like Ohio State and LSU being the closest. If you aren't going to consistently beat us position to position then your only option is to beat us at the position that matters most. And also get some luck along the way.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Interviewer: "What are you going to try to do in the second half to have success?"
Coach: "Well, I think that if we can execute, then we should be able to move the ball on offense and stop them on defense. If we can do that, and score some points, and keep them from scoring, I think we've got a good chance."
Nah...to complex. Just gotta stop that inside trap!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, they're not wrong. As journalism goes these days, that is an accomplishment unto itself. :biggrin:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
He mentions that Auburn has a "good group of WRs returning", ( Nate Meyers has 4 catches for 70 yards, Kyle Davis 12 catches for 248 yards). Those numbers don't exactly scream good, but that's just me.
He goes on to say , "if not for an unheard of three non-offensive touchdowns, Kelly would have beaten Bama for the second time in a row. " so he leaves out the fact that Jalen Hurts was sacked and loses the ball which was return for a TD by their defense. I guess football games are won by scoring offensive TDs huh??
My favorite, you can tell he did his research..." If Alabama reaches the SEC Championship game for the third game time in a row".
oh dear..

Scarborough's shoddy article is sprinkled with lots of conjectures filling up space rather than citing actual information that matter.
Why should we be surprised by journalism these days esp. in the sports world.

tru2bama

Scout Team
Sep 19, 2004
Birmimgham, AL
Our defense is going up against a pretty good QB every day in practice, if that doesn't help us prepare for a mobile, agile, athletic, fill in the blank QB out there, I don't know what will.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This time, I tell you, Alabama is finished. The college football world figured out they just need a good team that has an NFL-caliber quarterback!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Scarbrough's thought process:

Well, it takes a great QB, or at least a career performance from an otherwise passable QB to beat Alabama.

Everybody in the SEC, plus FSU, has good QBs. It is, after all, The Year Of The Quarterback. All the talking heads and ink-stained wretches say so. So it has to be true. Which means Alabama is doomed.

So see... Alabama can call it a dynasty right now and go back to their historical norm.

Ohhhh...wait...never mind.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
It doesn't help matters any when we face an elite QB and his OL never seems to get called for holding. I would love to see a stat showing how few holding penalties were called in those games we lost to those QB's mentioned.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.