40 years ago today R.I.P. Elvis

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Never heard of him til he croaked.

We were living in England, so it must have been the 17th. They came on the BBC and told us that Elvis Presley had died, not that I had ANY idea who that was. Mom was really shaken up (she was 30 at the time). I'd never seen her react to a death on TV like that before.....of course, I didn't really know what death was at the time, I thought it only happened if you were bad.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I first remember seeing Elvis movies at the Mustang Drive-In theater in Center Point (Birmingham) when our babysitter took us there a couple of times. Seems like every movie had some songs and some fistfights.

My parents were at Baptist Hospital in Memphis when Elvis was brought in on August 16, 1977.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

We were living in England, so it must have been the 17th. They came on the BBC and told us that Elvis Presley had died, not that I had ANY idea who that was. Mom was really shaken up (she was 30 at the time). I'd never seen her react to a death on TV like that before.....of course, I didn't really know what death was at the time, I thought it only happened if you were bad.
I was ten and was vaguely aware of who he was. The same when John Lenon was killed, except I was 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

I think the proper term is 'all shook up':wink:

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.