University Of Florida Denies Richard Spencer Event, Citing 'Likelihood Of Violence'

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The University of Florida has announced that it's denying a request from a white nationalist think tank to speak on the school's campus. The university says the National Policy Institute — an organization headed by Richard Spencer, who has pushed the use ofthe term "alt-right" in describing white nationalists — will be barred from renting event space.

"This decision was made after assessing potential risks with campus, community, state and federal law enforcement officials following violent clashes in Charlottesville, Va., and continued calls online and in social media for similar violence in Gainesville such as those decreeing: 'The Next Battlefield is in Florida,' " university President W. Kent Fuchs said in a statement Wednesday.
More HERE

Is this a similar stance as prohibiting someone from yelling "Fire!" in a movie theater?

Does this mean institutions will be censoring future persons or groups who wish to speak on the basis of maintaining a tranquil setting?

Why not just post security fencing and not allow any protesters to mix in with those who are speaking?

What if they gave a war and nobody came?

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I don't see where they owe this foul zit on a mule's butt a platform to speak.
Agree, The UF should not have to provide a venue for anyone who request one.

The National Policy Institute's request for an appearance on the Gainesville campus on Sept. 12 was not sponsored by student groups or any other organizations "affiliated with the university," Fuchs said in a statement

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Freedom of speech does not equal freedom to speak wherever you want. Just because I want to speak freely doesn't mean I can come in Bazza's house at 2 AM and start stumping (assuming he wouldn't want me there which of course he would).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.