News Article: Alabama in Negotiations with Miami to Open 2021 Season in Atlanta

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
I agree a big name opener is better than a FCS or G5 team. The barn without a lake is playing the barn with a lake on September 9 after opening with Georgia Southern. Of course, with fewer big games that day, it might draw more national attention.

I understand Saban likes the neutral site games. If that is my biggest complaint about a head coach then I'm not losing any sleep over it. We have this debate every year on here about the issue and I really doubt he reads Tide Fans to get our take on it.
If he doesn't read Tide Fans then how does he know what offensive play he should open with in the first game? How does he create the depth chart? How will he know which QB to start? Are you telling me all of this valuable information goes unread by Saban?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
When I hear Miami Hurricanes, I always think how Bama was never given the proper respect for ended that (thuggish) Dynasty with that butt whooping by the media. It annoyed me that ESPN did TWO, 30 for 30s on Miami Hurricanes and not one reference to Bama whupping those guys.

Whatever, if this game happens, it should be another butt whuppin. Bama's roster for that potential game is in what grade right now? 8th, 9th grade?
I still find it funny. I have a friend that's a Miami fan and they all act like the Bama game never happened

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Do we have one of these scheduled for 2020? I know we've got Louisville in Orlando next year, Duke (still don't get that one) in Atlanta 2019.

It's really hard to believe that 1992 season is now almost 30 years ago.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
When I hear Miami Hurricanes, I always think how Bama was never given the proper respect for ended that (thuggish) Dynasty with that butt whooping by the media. It annoyed me that ESPN did TWO, 30 for 30s on Miami Hurricanes and not one reference to Bama whupping those guys.

Whatever, if this game happens, it should be another butt whuppin. Bama's roster for that potential game is in what grade right now? 8th, 9th grade?
Actually, they are the recruits for this recruiting cycle. Maybe coach is trying to get a couple kids out of South Florida right now.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Do we have one of these scheduled for 2020? I know we've got Louisville in Orlando next year, Duke (still don't get that one) in Atlanta 2019.

No for 2020. And the team (Michigan) at the top of the wish list has their OOC schedule filled. Next (tOSU) has a spot open but play at Oregon and would have to move the opener with Bowling Green so they are a possibility but a very unlikely possibility.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten-football-schedules.php

Duke in 2019 is proof positive as to how few, if any, want any part of playing Bama. If Bama was Independent right now, they would have to shell out some serious coin to fill a 12 game schedule. I doubt if they could find 12 schools that would play them.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I wonder if Cutcliff will insist on playing at home instead of the Dome like he did last time.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

It actually IS 25 years ago.........that tends to be an important anniversary, too.....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I know the nostalgia factor kicks in big-time, but I just can't get overly excited about it.

For starters, this is NOT the Miami team we beat in 1993. It hasn't been that kind of team in.....a LONG time. Miami has only been ranked higher than 12th in THREE total polls since December 4, 2005, and those were in three consecutive weeks in 2009.

To put it another way....Miami has only been ranked in the top ten three times in the last 11 years of polls. USF, by comparison, has actually been ranked in the top ten in FOUR polls during that same time frame.

Anyone excited about playing USF?

Miami pretty much died when they went and joined a conference where they couldn't pick and choose their opponents and make sure to have an off week before all the tough ones.

They joined the ACC in 2004. They had TWO GOOD YEARS, courtesy of the bountiful harvest they reaped thanks to their 2000-02 run of wins. They haven't been very good since then. While I think Richt is a decent enough coach - I realize we rip him, but the guy DID have a .739 winning percentage in the SEC during the toughest period the conference has ever produced. That's well behind Saban, Miles, and Meyer (tops in the SEC with .812), but it's actually HIGHER than Steve Spurrier (.731, but he also coached eight additional years, and there's no reason to think Richt would have won at the same pace).

Richt is decent enough, but I just don't think you're ever going to get the place going at Miami again. They have a better chance than Nebraska does of reviving (something about comparing a beach with a cornfield), but Miami isn't exactly a COLLEGE football city, and folks only come to the games when the Canes are winning a lot. I DO think Richt is talented enough to win an ACC title, but I also don't think that's saying very much. Other than Dabo and Fisher, he doesn't have any genuine competition in the league. (Saying Richt oversaw UGA when they blew big opportunities is true......but he's still better than anyone else over there). FTR - I think Bobby Petrino is WAY overrated as a head coach before anyone invokes his name.

I just don't find myself getting all excited. Michigan was fun to think about because we'd never played them in the regular season. Clemson in 2008, definitely. Even Va Tech the first time - not so much the second. And yeah, USC. Not so much Wisky, but that was okay.

I like the big early game at the neutral site, but this one is kinda hard for me to get wound up about. USC is a blue blood of college football; Miami was a program that at one time under very controlled and deliberate circumstances backed into several national championships and blew more big games away from the Orange Bowl than they won when it really counted. That's not my opinion, go look - they were 2-5 in bowl games away from the Orange Bowl 1984-93, and got blown out THREE times (35-7 Vols, 34-13 Tide, and 29-0 Arizona); and one of their two wins was heavily influenced by lousy officiating (us in 1989).

Can any of you find me a single BIG-TIME Miami victory during their run (1983-94) where they beat a GOOD team ON THE ROAD without the benefit of an off week? I only know of maybe three

1)- 1985 against Oklahoma in Norman - and even then you have to remember that Miami played them the week after OU played the big annual rivalry game against Texas.

2) 1987 Florida State was in Tallahassee...of course once again, FSU played a very good team the week before, the Michigan St team that won the Rose Bowl with the help of an assistant named Saban....

3) FSU (again) in 1991. So Miami the dynasty beat THREE decent teams on the road without rest during their run....and two of those came down to a single play that could easily have gone the other way.

But once they couldn't carefully craft their cupcake schedule.....they ceased to be a dynasty or even relevant. The only thought anyone has given Miami since their loss to Ohio State that year (and btw - I even said at the time I KNEW they would lose the game precisely because it was in the Fiesta Bowl; the one exception I'll give them is 2001, since I do think they were the best team by far that year).....was in that infamous eight lateral TD Duke game two years ago.

I must now get off my soap box and take my medication.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I know the nostalgia factor kicks in big-time, but I just can't get overly excited about it.

For starters, this is NOT the Miami team we beat in 1993. It hasn't been that kind of team in.....a LONG time. Miami has only been ranked higher than 12th in THREE total polls since December 4, 2005, and those were in three consecutive weeks in 2009.

To put it another way....Miami has only been ranked in the top ten three times in the last 11 years of polls. USF, by comparison, has actually been ranked in the top ten in FOUR polls during that same time frame.

Miami pretty much died when they went and joined a conference where they couldn't pick and choose their opponents and make sure to have an off week before all the tough ones.

They joined the ACC in 2004. They had TWO GOOD YEARS, courtesy of the bountiful harvest they reaped thanks to their 2000-02 run of wins. They haven't been very good since then. While I think Richt is a decent enough coach - I realize we rip him, but the guy DID have a .739 winning percentage in the SEC during the toughest period the conference has ever produced. That's well behind Saban, Miles, and Meyer (tops in the SEC with .812), but it's actually HIGHER than Steve Spurrier (.731, but he also coached eight additional years, and there's no reason to think Richt would have won at the same pace).

Richt is decent enough, but I just don't think you're ever going to get the place going at Miami again. They have a better chance than Nebraska does of reviving (something about comparing a beach with a cornfield), but Miami isn't exactly a COLLEGE football city, and folks only come to the games when the Canes are winning a lot. I DO think Richt is talented enough to win an ACC title, but I also don't think that's saying very much. Other than Dabo and Fisher, he doesn't have any genuine competition in the league. (Saying Richt oversaw UGA when they blew big opportunities is true......but he's still better than anyone else over there). FTR - I think Bobby Petrino is WAY overrated as a head coach before anyone invokes his name.

I just don't find myself getting all excited. Michigan was fun to think about because we'd never played them in the regular season. Clemson in 2008, definitely. Even Va Tech the first time - not so much the second. And yeah, USC. Not so much Wisky, but that was okay.

I like the big early game at the neutral site, but this one is kinda hard for me to get wound up about. USC is a blue blood of college football; Miami was a program that at one time under very controlled and deliberate circumstances backed into several national championships and blew more big games away from the Orange Bowl than they won when it really counted. That's not my opinion, go look - they were 2-5 in bowl games away from the Orange Bowl 1984-93, and got blown out THREE times (35-7 Vols, 34-13 Tide, and 29-0 Arizona); and one of their two wins was heavily influenced by lousy officiating (us in 1989).

Can any of you find me a single BIG-TIME Miami victory during their run (1983-94) where they beat a GOOD team ON THE ROAD without the benefit of an off week? I only know of maybe three

1)- 1985 against Oklahoma in Norman - and even then you have to remember that Miami played them the week after OU played the big annual rivalry game against Texas.

2) 1987 Florida State was in Tallahassee...of course once again, FSU played a very good team the week before, the Michigan St team that won the Rose Bowl with the help of an assistant named Saban....

3) FSU (again) in 1991. So Miami the dynasty beat THREE decent teams on the road without rest during their run....and two of those came down to a single play that could easily have gone the other way.

But once they couldn't carefully craft their cupcake schedule.....they ceased to be a dynasty or even relevant. The only thought anyone has given Miami since their loss to Ohio State that year (and btw - I even said at the time I KNEW they would lose the game precisely because it was in the Fiesta Bowl; the one exception I'll give them is 2001, since I do think they were the best team by far that year).....was in that infamous eight lateral TD Duke game two years ago.

Don't forget too that an Oklahoma starting qb by the name of Troy Aikman went down early in that Miami/OU game with a broken leg when that game was still very close and could have gone either way.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

So basically you are saying Miami was Boise State before Boise State?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I agree, the Duke game in 2019 is a bit hard to understand. Some teams I wish we would consider for the 2020 season opener:

Okie State
Texas
Boston College
Notre Dame

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.