Looking for refrigerator thoughts/advice...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
We have had a GE Profile side by side for ten years. It's had one problem. I had to replace the mother board (it has two circuit boards - the main and a top one for the controls). It was a $100 repair. I use RepairClinic.com for parts. You can return their parts unconditionally, including electronic parts, for 365 days. The repair occurred at six years. No problems since then. Performs well...
We must be twins.:wink: Mine is a GE Profile. I use RepairClinic.com 99% 0f the time.

Absolutely do not buy a Haier anything.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Compressors before around 1986 or 87 were long lasting. After that date, not so much. Our 25cu ft GE side by side was made the last year of the "good" compressors. It lasted 20 years. As popular styles change, some people with more means than I, buy a new fridge just to keep in style. Sometimes you can get a good deal on a 2 years old model that way.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We must be twins.:wink: Mine is a GE Profile. I use RepairClinic.com 99% 0f the time.

Absolutely do not buy a Haier anything.
I've used them for many LG dishwasher parts, Whirlpool washer parts, and Sharp and Panasonic microwave parts, although the last parts I put in the micro were handmade and saved the life of the unit. I had a little Haier office fridge, which did OK, but I would never buy a big one with that brand...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I've used them for many LG dishwasher parts, Whirlpool washer parts, and Sharp and Panasonic microwave parts, although the last parts I put in the micro were handmade and saved the life of the unit. I had a little Haier office fridge, which did OK, but I would never buy a big one with that brand...
Haier is Chinese crap with a fake German sounding name. Their stuff is disposable

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Between law school and grad law school in NYC, I lived in my brother's house on Finley Island, outside Decatur. I think that fridge went in when the house was built in the late '30s... :)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Things just are not built to last anymore. Appliance companies want to make lots of money, and you have to make sure people are buying new stuff all the time.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That could make a quality difference. Depends on where GE is made?
My Profile was made in Louisville, KY. I presume yours was also. I can't think of a single item which, when manufacturing moved to China, improved in quality. I wouldn't have one of the lower-priced Weber grills as a gift now...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
GE was made in Louisville, with steel floated down the river from Pittsburgh.

That will not last. Just a matter of time before all production shifts to China.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
After almost 40 years, my fridge died a while ago. No one believed I had one that lasted that long, but all agreed the new one will not!

Bought a Maytag, same as Whirlpool, except mine has a big (ugly) label on the front:

10 Year Compressor Warranty.

Supposedly, the only one with that long of a warranty. Cost more than the Whirlpool.

Unless you buy it on sale. So, I did.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
OK, a bit o/t, but here is what these big companies are doing:

They are "engineered" to last the warranty period, and then go belly-up. The guys who get paid to design obsolescence in are not happy. We were trained to make stuff work, and last as long as possible. Now, we are expected to design the one key part that will fail on cue.

Garbage disposals are the prime offender. And easy to do: just make the one part that is not stainless steel out of the right thickness of regular steel, so it will rust in x years.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I can't think of a single item which, when manufacturing moved to China, improved in quality.
A number of years ago, Channel Master moved their TV antenna manufacturing from Ohio to China.

The price on the most popular model doubled. And the gain is 1-2 dB worse!

Oh, but they added "HD" to the part number, so it has to be better!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We got an LG from Lowes about 4 years ago and so far so good. I think LG is Korean but I have no idea where they're made.
Their appliances have been made in Korea, but they're building a plant in Clarksville, TN. There's a huge plant here but I think it's all electronics and, I believe, it's their regional customer service center. I swore off them after I got rid of the dishwasher, expensive and only six years old. I'd repaired it five times, including two pump motors. My wife and I had a pact that, if it broke one more time so that I had to pull it out in the floor and lay it down while waiting on a part, we'd buy a new one and we bought a GE, which is not as ergonomic but will, I hope, be more reliable. We did buy an LG front-loader on the recommendation of a appliance repairman I know. So far, so good, but we haven't had it that long...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.