Looking for refrigerator thoughts/advice...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Their appliances have been made in Korea, but they're building a plant in Clarksville, TN. There's a huge plant here but I think it's all electronics and, I believe, it's their regional customer service center. I swore off them after I got rid of the dishwasher, expensive and only six years old. I'd repaired it five times, including two pump motors. My wife and I had a pact that, if it broke one more time so that I had to pull it out in the floor and lay it down while waiting on a part, we'd buy a new one and we bought a GE, which is not as ergonomic but will, I hope, be more reliable. We did buy an LG front-loader on the recommendation of a appliance repairman I know. So far, so good, but we haven't had it that long...
FWIW, LG used to be called Goldstar. The "G" in LG is for Goldstar (L is for Lucky)

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I had to remove the doors from the refrigerator to get it into the kitchen. If it had been any deeper I'm not sure what I'd have done.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Forgot to say that I go to Sears Parts Direct quite a bit. They have illustrated parts breakdowns of many models besides Sears.

Good reference source and they sometimes have parts that Repair Clinic doesn't have. Sears is more expensive.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Forgot to say that I go to Sears Parts Direct quite a bit. They have illustrated parts breakdowns of many models besides Sears.

Good reference source and they sometimes have parts that Repair Clinic doesn't have. Sears is more expensive.
I have bought from them also...

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Appreciate all of the responses. We looked at Home Depot, Lowe's and Sam's this afternoon. Sam's didn't really have anything; Lowe's has some selections, but not a whole lot. Home Depot has one (a Whirlpool) that we would probably buy right now, but they told us that their Labor Day sale starts on Thursday, and the price on the one we're looking at may go down, or more selections may come up. They also suggested going to All-South Appliances, that they would have a wider selection than the big box people.

Is a service plan from the big box stores worth buying?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Appreciate all of the responses. We looked at Home Depot, Lowe's and Sam's this afternoon. Sam's didn't really have anything; Lowe's has some selections, but not a whole lot. Home Depot has one (a Whirlpool) that we would probably buy right now, but they told us that their Labor Day sale starts on Thursday, and the price on the one we're looking at may go down, or more selections may come up. They also suggested going to All-South Appliances, that they would have a wider selection than the big box people.

Is a service plan from the big box stores worth buying?
By and large, over a period of time, you don't come out ahead on them. That's the reason they sell them...

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Same here. And to haul it out.
When I was a nineteen year old kid I delivered and installed appliances. You haven't lived until you are part of a 4 man team that passes a side by side fridge over a bar because the contractor made the opening too small, LOL. I've been lucky enough to do that twice.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.