Looking for refrigerator thoughts/advice...

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Short story - we bought a home was built in mid-1980s, and previous homeowners left the refrigerator (original to the house). I believe the compressor has gone out, and we've moved everything to our newer (relative to previously mentioned fridge) refrigerator in our garage. If push came to shove, we can move that fridge into the space in our kitchen.

I seriously doubt that there is a place that has a compressor that can be used for a fridge made in the mid-1980s. My wife and I are looking to see what we can get for a new fridge. I feel like across all brands, most are similar in price, style, technology, and longevity. So, I want to know which ones can be serviced the easiest, or do not require a whole lot of service should something break down after we buy a new one. What brands should I look at? What should I avoid? Finally, anything that has the IoT options will not be considered - too expensive and I personally have no need for it.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Short story - we bought a home was built in mid-1980s, and previous homeowners left the refrigerator (original to the house). I believe the compressor has gone out, and we've moved everything to our newer (relative to previously mentioned fridge) refrigerator in our garage. If push came to shove, we can move that fridge into the space in our kitchen.

I seriously doubt that there is a place that has a compressor that can be used for a fridge made in the mid-1980s. My wife and I are looking to see what we can get for a new fridge. I feel like across all brands, most are similar in price, style, technology, and longevity. So, I want to know which ones can be serviced the easiest, or do not require a whole lot of service should something break down after we buy a new one. What brands should I look at? What should I avoid? Finally, anything that has the IoT options will not be considered - too expensive and I personally have no need for it.
just went through this myself and landed on Samsung. Every manufacturer has admirers and horror stories and the conclusion that I drew was to look at features and price first and manufacturer last since they are all now basically throw away crap. The guy that came out to look at my 8 year old Kitchen Aid fridge said much the same, though he cautioned not to buy LG, others loved them. Asked him why my 20 year old garage/beer fridge still hummed along fine when the Kitchen Aid died so quick, his comment was "they used to be made well, now not so much" He also mentioned that you can extend the life of the newer ones by cleaning the compressor and air intakes regularly, something I've never done with the old one in the garage but he claims with the new ones you absolutely have to or they will burn up. I've decided that I will clean mine every time I have to change out the water filter, seemed to be a good cadence to me

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Unless the fridge is a super duper high dollar machine, when the compressor goes out it is trash. One from the '80s? Becomes a water trough for the hogs! We have had a GE side by side for several years that has been problem free. Filtered water and ice in the door. Who needs a fridge that lets you remotely see inside while you're at the grocery?

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
just went through this myself and landed on Samsung. Every manufacturer has admirers and horror stories and the conclusion that I drew was to look at features and price first and manufacturer last since they are all now basically throw away crap. The guy that came out to look at my 8 year old Kitchen Aid fridge said much the same, though he cautioned not to buy LG, others loved them. Asked him why my 20 year old garage/beer fridge still hummed along fine when the Kitchen Aid died so quick, his comment was "they used to be made well, now not so much" He also mentioned that you can extend the life of the newer ones by cleaning the compressor and air intakes regularly, something I've never done with the old one in the garage but he claims with the new ones you absolutely have to or they will burn up. I've decided that I will clean mine every time I have to change out the water filter, seemed to be a good cadence to me
I've never done this everywhere I've lived, and even never seen my parents do this at home. How often do you change out/clean out all that?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I've never done this everywhere I've lived, and even never seen my parents do this at home. How often do you change out/clean out all that?
he just said "regularly" but didn't clear it up much, I will check when the filter goes which is said to be ~ every 6 months. Probably overkill but I don't want to buy another fridge in the next 10 years if I can avoid it

and I forgot before to mention that you should sign up for the weekly fliers from Best Buy, Sears and everyone else around you that sells appliances and you will find deals if you have time to wait and buy. I would also look at Scratch and Dent Stores, I saved a lot on all the KitchenAid crap I bought when I re-did my kitchen in 08 this way at a chain we have called ApplianceSmart

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Unless the fridge is a super duper high dollar machine, when the compressor goes out it is trash. One from the '80s? Becomes a water trough for the hogs! We have had a GE side by side for several years that has been problem free. Filtered water and ice in the door. Who needs a fridge that lets you remotely see inside while you're at the grocery?
Yah, we have a similar GE fridge, about 13 years old now, still operates perfectly.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Not the information you are looking for but....

We recently replaced our side-by-side with a French door model. I wasn't sure how we'd like it but I much prefer the French door style. We can put a huge item all the way across the refrigerator if needed. We have plenty of freezer space elsewhere and the French door model has a fair amount on its own.

Ice makers are the big hit item when it comes to the need for repairs.

I rarely replace the water filter so I'll have to clean my frig compressor and coils and whatnot on their own schedule.

We bought a Kenmore which has decent reliability according to Consumer Reports. We wanted to match other appliances in our kitchen so I looked at reviews of various brands of dishwashers, microwaves, ovens and stove tops at the same time (the reliability of my check book went down at this time).

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
People that like to tell you that they have a fridge that lets you remotely see inside while you're at the grocery?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Not the information you are looking for but....

We recently replaced our side-by-side with a French door model. I wasn't sure how we'd like it but I much prefer the French door style. We can put a huge item all the way across the refrigerator if needed. We have plenty of freezer space elsewhere and the French door model has a fair amount on its own.

Ice makers are the big hit item when it comes to the need for repairs.

I rarely replace the water filter so I'll have to clean my frig compressor and coils and whatnot on their own schedule.

We bought a Kenmore which has decent reliability according to Consumer Reports. We wanted to match other appliances in our kitchen so I looked at reviews of various brands of dishwashers, microwaves, ovens and stove tops at the same time (the reliability of my check book went down at this time).
Gonna seriously look a a french door model next time.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I'm very disappointed in the Whirlpool fridge I got a couple years ago.

Broke the clip insert on the front grille trying to replace the water filter, and broke the plastic that keeps the tempered glass shelves in place.

Replacement parts are stupid expensive.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
he just said "regularly" but didn't clear it up much, I will check when the filter goes which is said to be ~ every 6 months. Probably overkill but I don't want to buy another fridge in the next 10 years if I can avoid it

and I forgot before to mention that you should sign up for the weekly fliers from Best Buy, Sears and everyone else around you that sells appliances and you will find deals if you have time to wait and buy. I would also look at Scratch and Dent Stores, I saved a lot on all the KitchenAid crap I bought when I re-did my kitchen in 08 this way at a chain we have called ApplianceSmart
Also to add to this - know the store's policy on price match after purchase. Best Buy will refund a price drop within (I think) 30 days of purchase. I got about $900 back from them when I bought a fridge at our new house. Some credit cards will do this as well.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
FYI, measure, measure, measure. The standards have changed some over the years, most modern fridges are taller and slightly wider then they use to be. Our house was built in the mid 90's and has cabinets above the fridge. Every modern fridge, especially the french door ones, are too tall to fit in our kitchen. If we ever have to replace our current one we will also have to do some cabinet work.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We have had a GE Profile side by side for ten years. It's had one problem. I had to replace the mother board (it has two circuit boards - the main and a top one for the controls). It was a $100 repair. I use RepairClinic.com for parts. You can return their parts unconditionally, including electronic parts, for 365 days. The repair occurred at six years. No problems since then. Performs well...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.