a South African living in London supporting Alabama...

TravHouse

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 18, 2015
London, England
As far as seats go, I personally prefer to sit towards the top quarter of the lower bowl. Obviously as close to midfield as possible. You are close enough to the action to feel like part of the game, but high enough that you can actually see plays develop and yardage gained.

Back in 2010, as a student, I managed to sweet talk the ticket lady and get into the Florida game without a ticket. The student endzone upper deck had just been built, and that is where I had to go as they had closed the lower bowl student seating (its first come first serve). The game was great-we whupped Florida (and made Urban Meyer quit!), but I felt as though I was watching the game from outer space. The crowd noise did not reverberate up there and the speaker system seemed to reach us only on currents of air. I remember that every time the goodyear blimp made a lazy circle overhead, its props drowned out any stadium atmosphere I had. But I still watched us beat Florida for the second time in a row. The upper decks are also kind of cool sometimes because you can look out over the town. It makes quite a contrast between the craze in the stadium and the seeming deadness of Tuscaloosa as everyone in town is preoccupied with the game.

But at the end of the day, wherever you are, you are in Bryant Denny Stadium watching a big time game!

Are you following the Rugby Championship right now Trav? The Boks pulled out a pretty intense game Saturday against Argentina.
Thanks for the advice and the info RammerJammer..

Yes I still watch the Boks play religiously! As a South African if you aren't passionate about the Boks then you're pretty much deported!

We have been on a downward spiral lately but I think we are just starting to get it right.. No match for the All Blacks however, they are ridiculous

TravHouse

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 18, 2015
London, England
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply to my questions. You have all been so helpful and it really is appreciated!

I have a cousin out in Chapin, South Carolina who my wife and I visited a few months ago. The 1st thing we commented on was how friendly people are in the South! unbelievable! thank you all!

My brother and I are going to go down the Airbnb route to save some money. just trying to find an area not too far outside of Tuscaloosa to keep the costs down.

We fly into Carolina the week before the LSU game and are staying with my cousin. He is a huge Gamecocks fan so he is taking us to the Vanderbilt game on the 28th..

We then drive down to Tuscaloosa later in the week and that's when the real fun begins!

Once again thank you to everyone for your advice!

Roll Tide!!

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Thanks for the advice and the info RammerJammer..

Yes I still watch the Boks play religiously! As a South African if you aren't passionate about the Boks then you're pretty much deported!

We have been on a downward spiral lately but I think we are just starting to get it right.. No match for the All Blacks however, they are ridiculous
I am obligated to pull for the All Blacks myself, as that is my heritage. Poor me ;). I always look forward to our clashes with the Boks though. Really hope ya'll put together some of those classically strong teams again. World Rugby just isn't the same without it. Your scrum half seems like one heck of a player, I think he almost single-handedly drove that comeback on Saturday.

Saltedpickle87

Jan 27, 2015
TravHouse,
Solid thread- thanks mate. I'm an Australian living in Sydney and my bama love song is pretty similar to yours. My wife and I drove around Texas a couple of years back and got to see Alabama Vs. Texas A&M at College Station and, even then, all of the Bama tailgates greeted us with open arms. Really good fellas. We are heading over USA way in a couple of weeks to do a bit of a jaunt around the Carolina's, Georgia and TN. We are swinging into Tuscaloosa for Bama Vs. CSU and whilst it's unfortunately not LSU, we are hoping for a pretty decent atmosphere all the same. Purpose for the message- we are having the same bum fight with accommodation, even for the CSU game. Cheapest Airbnb is about AUD$450 for the night. I've found a place called 'ole english inn' in Tuscaloosa that's reasonably priced, maybe give that a whirl? Another alternative is a mob called 'Southern Sports Tours', they run a coach on game day from Birmingham. Leaves 4-5 hours prior to kick off and returns an hour after the game. USD$60 return per person. Means you can't get rowdy at the pubs after though. Regarding tickets, I managed to pick some up off a bama fan selling them on http://alabama.247sports.com/Board/Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Tickets-Message-Board-Forum-138 , just another forum, but could be worth a shot. Cheers.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
TravHouse,
Solid thread- thanks mate. I'm an Australian living in Sydney and my bama love song is pretty similar to yours. My wife and I drove around Texas a couple of years back and got to see Alabama Vs. Texas A&M at College Station and, even then, all of the Bama tailgates greeted us with open arms. Really good fellas. We are heading over USA way in a couple of weeks to do a bit of a jaunt around the Carolina's, Georgia and TN. We are swinging into Tuscaloosa for Bama Vs. CSU and whilst it's unfortunately not LSU, we are hoping for a pretty decent atmosphere all the same. Purpose for the message- we are having the same bum fight with accommodation, even for the CSU game. Cheapest Airbnb is about AUD$450 for the night. I've found a place called 'ole english inn' in Tuscaloosa that's reasonably priced, maybe give that a whirl? Another alternative is a mob called 'Southern Sports Tours', they run a coach on game day from Birmingham. Leaves 4-5 hours prior to kick off and returns an hour after the game. USD$60 return per person. Means you can't get rowdy at the pubs after though. Regarding tickets, I managed to pick some up off a bama fan selling them on http://alabama.247sports.com/Board/Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Tickets-Message-Board-Forum-138 , just another forum, but could be worth a shot. Cheers.
Think twice, its been there for a very long time. There is a reason that there are rooms available only 3 1/2 miles from the stadium.I think its used more by workers from out of town that are looking for a cheap place to stay. The pictures below make it look a little better than what I thought it might be. One plus is that you aren't far from the stadium.

Saltedpickle87

Jan 27, 2015
yeah.... right. I see what you mean. It sure does have a 'Bates Motel' feel going on. The crooked lamp shade bothers me the most... come on mate, straighten the damn lamp shade! Thanks for the heads up 'BamaHoHo'.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Another thing to catch before you head into the stadium (if you're tailgating on the Quad it would be hard to miss) is the Elephant Stomp pep rally on the library steps.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
yeah.... right. I see what you mean. It sure does have a 'Bates Motel' feel going on. The crooked lamp shade bothers me the most... come on mate, straighten the damn lamp shade! Thanks for the heads up 'BamaHoHo'.
Just don't go to the big house on the hill behind

TravHouse

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 18, 2015
London, England
TravHouse,
Thanks so much for the link to that message board. Will try my luck on there and see how the prices compare to StubHub.

So nice to see how far the Bama fanbase stretches across the globe!

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Thanks so much for the link to that message board. Will try my luck on there and see how the prices compare to StubHub.

'cept for the fact that with y'all checkin' in from across the pond, I'm going have to up my game, otherwise I'll soon be hearing "Canada? Meh..."

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Be sure to give us a report on your whole experience after the game! Have a great day and safe trip back!

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Hey TravHouse, I remembered the thread and you going to the LSU game so I wanted to see how your plans shaped up. Glad you are going to this game for a first time experience. Let us know if you need any advice or help this week. Roll Tide Roll.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.