LIVE Bear cam: Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: LIVE Bear cam: Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Barry, I don't know why they're showing this as live, but all the bears are hibernating until March, at least. Also, Brooks Lake, above the falls, is frozen and the falls are also, partially. Also, there are no salmon at this time of year...
    Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Also, note that all the deciduous vegetation around the banks is in nice mid-summer green...
    Oh yeah....duh......well it said "LIVE" when I first posted it....thought it was nice looking weather for this time of year but was happy to see so many bears enjoying themselves I didn't think past that point...

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Oh yeah....duh......well it said "LIVE" when I first posted it....thought it was nice looking weather for this time of year but was happy to see so many bears enjoying themselves I didn't think past that point...
    That was what I figured. The only bears out and about at this time of year are those which are too ill, old or injured to have fattened for up enough for hibernation. They are called "winter bears," which to the inhabitants means a bear fitting into one of those categories. They are, of course, ravenously hungry and extremely dangerous and feared...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

This is really the beginning of the late run. The first run was in June...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

This is a nice distraction from the every day world......what a life!

LOT of activity today....

https://explore.org/livecams/brown-b...rown-bears-low

Bears are having their own Bastille day celebration.....salmon ala yum......

Lacey's Spring bear (south across Tennessee River from Huntsville)...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

TEN bears out there right now!

We've had three sightings of three different bears in two days. Big time for around here...

That time of year again......

"Old dog - new tricks"

This needs moving to the other forum, which I'll do now. BTW, our local bear stories continue. I can't find the news report now, but about a week ago, there was a report of one at The Ledges, which is a pricey neighborhood on the other end of the ridgetop where I live. There was a warning sign, saying the bear was seen on the 8th green. So, what do you do? Skip the 8th? Pelt him with golf balls? I can testify from pelting them with rocks in the Smokys while backpacking, they are very thick-skinned...

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    That time of year again......

Where are the Park Rangers? Don't these bears know you could lose your footing and be swept away? And the way they are treating the fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Where are the Park Rangers? Don't these bears know you could lose your footing and be swept away? And the way they are treating the fish?
    The rangers there are there to manage the tourists, not the bears. Only very rarely do they move a problem bear and even more rarely destroy one. Mostly, they just try to remind the tourists to stay out of the way of the bears...