LIVE Bear cam: Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Re: LIVE Bear cam: Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    LOL......the guy doing the video recording has some stones on him is all I can say!

Not me, Jack!

I buy Tilapia fillets from Walmart on occasion and feel they make a pretty good tasting fish if i want to just satisfy my fish fetish. Very economical too.

I always pan fry my fish - House Autry makes a fantastic seasoned breading mix, or you can just use bread crumbs, or panko.

The Haddock dinner in my photo ran around $25....much more than a whole bag of Tilapia fillets.
    FWIW, the haddock is a lot healthier than tilapia...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

LOL......the guy doing the video recording has some stones on him is all I can say!

I've read a book on the Katmai bears. Some of the stories are hilarious. That particular bear is well-known...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    How? They are both dead!

"Old dog - new tricks"

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I didn't realize anyone really took the time to compare JUST these two fishes to each other nutritionally, until I did a Google search and indeed there were quite a few articles.

From this one:

https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/...pia-17015.html

Basics

Both types of fish have a mild, slightly sweet flavor and firm texture. Most tilapia is farmed in China, while haddock is harvested from the Atlantic Ocean. You don’t need to worry about mercury contamination in either one, according to the Natural Resources Defense Council. A 3-ounce portion of tilapia has 109 calories, compared to 76 calories in a serving of haddock. They’re both low in fat and high in protein, providing at least 30 percent of your daily allowance of protein in a 3-ounce serving.

Haddock Benefits

Haddock contains double the amount of vitamin B-6 in tilapia. You’ll get 0.28 milligrams of vitamin B-6, or 22 percent of your recommended daily allowance, from 3 ounces of cooked haddock. Vitamin B-6 activates more than 100 enzymes that metabolize nutrients into energy; it helps produce the neurotransmitter serotonin, which controls mood and regulates sleep and body temperature; and it may contribute to heart health because it lowers the levels of the amino acid homocysteine in your blood. High levels of homocysteine increase your risk for cardiovascular disease.

Tilapia Benefits

Tilapia provides almost four times more iron and six times more vitamin D. Iron deficiency is the leading cause of anemia in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Lack of iron also weakens your immune system. Like iron, vitamin D helps support your immune system, but it’s especially vital for maintaining strong bones. Your body can’t absorb calcium properly unless you have enough vitamin D. A 3-ounce serving of tilapia contains 0.6 milligrams of iron, or 8 percent of men’s and 3 percent of women’s daily allowances. The same portion has 128 international units of vitamin D, which is 21 percent of your recommended daily allowance.
    "Old dog - new tricks"

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

I didn't realize anyone really took the time to compare JUST these two fishes to each other nutritionally, until I did a Google search and indeed there were quite a few articles.

From this one:

https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/...pia-17015.html

Basics

Both types of fish have a mild, slightly sweet flavor and firm texture. Most tilapia is farmed in China, while haddock is harvested from the Atlantic Ocean. You don’t need to worry about mercury contamination in either one, according to the Natural Resources Defense Council. A 3-ounce portion of tilapia has 109 calories, compared to 76 calories in a serving of haddock. They’re both low in fat and high in protein, providing at least 30 percent of your daily allowance of protein in a 3-ounce serving.

Haddock Benefits

Haddock contains double the amount of vitamin B-6 in tilapia. You’ll get 0.28 milligrams of vitamin B-6, or 22 percent of your recommended daily allowance, from 3 ounces of cooked haddock. Vitamin B-6 activates more than 100 enzymes that metabolize nutrients into energy; it helps produce the neurotransmitter serotonin, which controls mood and regulates sleep and body temperature; and it may contribute to heart health because it lowers the levels of the amino acid homocysteine in your blood. High levels of homocysteine increase your risk for cardiovascular disease.

Tilapia Benefits

Tilapia provides almost four times more iron and six times more vitamin D. Iron deficiency is the leading cause of anemia in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Lack of iron also weakens your immune system. Like iron, vitamin D helps support your immune system, but it’s especially vital for maintaining strong bones. Your body can’t absorb calcium properly unless you have enough vitamin D. A 3-ounce serving of tilapia contains 0.6 milligrams of iron, or 8 percent of men’s and 3 percent of women’s daily allowances. The same portion has 128 international units of vitamin D, which is 21 percent of your recommended daily allowance.
    Isn't Tilapia just a common name for like 60 different fish?
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Isn't Tilapia just a common name for like 60 different fish?
    Correct, generally members of the cichlid family, which don't mind being crowded. I avoid them because most are farmed in China, so there's no way of knowing what the farming conditions are, and some are appalling. Also, they are generally much lower in beneficial omega 3 acids and higher in omega 6 acids than salmon and other fish. It's just my own preference, but I generally avoid farmed fish of all sorts, although the fish farmers in the open ocean have greatly improved their conditions and practices in recent years. Like all flesh, fish are generally what they eat. In China, tilapia are frequently fed animal feces, so that's what you get. Here's an article from Healthline...

Healthline

"Old dog - new tricks"

BamaNation Hall of Fame

He let the bear get a little too close to his weapon.