LIVE Bear cam: Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
LOL......the guy doing the video recording has some stones on him is all I can say!

[video=youtube;rbE53XUtVw0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=rbE53XUtVw0[/video]
I've read a book on the Katmai bears. Some of the stories are hilarious. That particular bear is well-known...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
FWIW, the haddock is a lot healthier than tilapia...
I didn't realize anyone really took the time to compare JUST these two fishes to each other nutritionally, until I did a Google search and indeed there were quite a few articles.

From this one:

https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/health-benefits-haddock-vs-tilapia-17015.html

Basics

Both types of fish have a mild, slightly sweet flavor and firm texture. Most tilapia is farmed in China, while haddock is harvested from the Atlantic Ocean. You don’t need to worry about mercury contamination in either one, according to the Natural Resources Defense Council. A 3-ounce portion of tilapia has 109 calories, compared to 76 calories in a serving of haddock. They’re both low in fat and high in protein, providing at least 30 percent of your daily allowance of protein in a 3-ounce serving.

Haddock Benefits

Haddock contains double the amount of vitamin B-6 in tilapia. You’ll get 0.28 milligrams of vitamin B-6, or 22 percent of your recommended daily allowance, from 3 ounces of cooked haddock. Vitamin B-6 activates more than 100 enzymes that metabolize nutrients into energy; it helps produce the neurotransmitter serotonin, which controls mood and regulates sleep and body temperature; and it may contribute to heart health because it lowers the levels of the amino acid homocysteine in your blood. High levels of homocysteine increase your risk for cardiovascular disease.

Tilapia Benefits

Tilapia provides almost four times more iron and six times more vitamin D. Iron deficiency is the leading cause of anemia in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Lack of iron also weakens your immune system. Like iron, vitamin D helps support your immune system, but it’s especially vital for maintaining strong bones. Your body can’t absorb calcium properly unless you have enough vitamin D. A 3-ounce serving of tilapia contains 0.6 milligrams of iron, or 8 percent of men’s and 3 percent of women’s daily allowances. The same portion has 128 international units of vitamin D, which is 21 percent of your recommended daily allowance.

Reactions: seebell

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I didn't realize anyone really took the time to compare JUST these two fishes to each other nutritionally, until I did a Google search and indeed there were quite a few articles.

From this one:

https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/health-benefits-haddock-vs-tilapia-17015.html

Basics

Both types of fish have a mild, slightly sweet flavor and firm texture. Most tilapia is farmed in China, while haddock is harvested from the Atlantic Ocean. You don’t need to worry about mercury contamination in either one, according to the Natural Resources Defense Council. A 3-ounce portion of tilapia has 109 calories, compared to 76 calories in a serving of haddock. They’re both low in fat and high in protein, providing at least 30 percent of your daily allowance of protein in a 3-ounce serving.

Haddock Benefits

Haddock contains double the amount of vitamin B-6 in tilapia. You’ll get 0.28 milligrams of vitamin B-6, or 22 percent of your recommended daily allowance, from 3 ounces of cooked haddock. Vitamin B-6 activates more than 100 enzymes that metabolize nutrients into energy; it helps produce the neurotransmitter serotonin, which controls mood and regulates sleep and body temperature; and it may contribute to heart health because it lowers the levels of the amino acid homocysteine in your blood. High levels of homocysteine increase your risk for cardiovascular disease.

Tilapia Benefits

Tilapia provides almost four times more iron and six times more vitamin D. Iron deficiency is the leading cause of anemia in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Lack of iron also weakens your immune system. Like iron, vitamin D helps support your immune system, but it’s especially vital for maintaining strong bones. Your body can’t absorb calcium properly unless you have enough vitamin D. A 3-ounce serving of tilapia contains 0.6 milligrams of iron, or 8 percent of men’s and 3 percent of women’s daily allowances. The same portion has 128 international units of vitamin D, which is 21 percent of your recommended daily allowance.
Isn't Tilapia just a common name for like 60 different fish?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Isn't Tilapia just a common name for like 60 different fish?
Correct, generally members of the cichlid family, which don't mind being crowded. I avoid them because most are farmed in China, so there's no way of knowing what the farming conditions are, and some are appalling. Also, they are generally much lower in beneficial omega 3 acids and higher in omega 6 acids than salmon and other fish. It's just my own preference, but I generally avoid farmed fish of all sorts, although the fish farmers in the open ocean have greatly improved their conditions and practices in recent years. Like all flesh, fish are generally what they eat. In China, tilapia are frequently fed animal feces, so that's what you get. Here's an article from Healthline...

Healthline

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Just checked in with the bear cam and it's not up yet but did read this message so we'll have to stay tuned a little longer:

Mike Fitz, Resident Naturalist Mod • 5 days ago • edited
    Good afternoon everyone. Bearcam season is fast approaching and I’m pleased to announce that I’ll be joining you once again this summer as explore.org’s resident naturalist. There have been some major changes in my small world, including moving across the U.S. to northern Maine. Due to the pandemic, I won’t be traveling to Brooks River this July. However, along with Katmai National Park rangers Brooklyn and Naomi, we have dozens of live events in the works such as twice-weekly text chats, many play-by-plays broadcasts, and our classic live chats.
    Work to secure the bearcam connection to the outside world will begin on June 15. The solar-powered battery system at Brooks Falls survived the winter, so technicians will be focusing their efforts on re-establishing the wireless connection between the webcams at the river and the radio towers on Dumpling Mountain. Hardware for the installation is currently in Anchorage and will be transported to King Salmon this week.
    I’m looking forward to sharing the experience of watching bears and salmon with you. Bearcam is an important part of my life and I pledge to work especially hard to make the experience meaningful for you too. This summer, I’m particularly keen on watching how the hierarchy at the river sorts itself out. Last year, we saw 856 remain on top. But, he’s about 20 years old and has been the river’s most consistently dominant bear since 2011. That’s a long time to maintain the rank he does. If 856 remains healthy, I think he stands a good chance of remaining very dominant and taking advantage of the opportunity dominance affords like greater access to estrous females and fishing spots. Other large, dominant males like 603/68 may have other ideas though.
https://explore.org/livecams/brown-bears/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Setting it up, of course, dovetails with the first of several salmon runs. (The big Reds run late.) Until then, there are no bears to record...

Reactions: Bazza

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Normally, sows would never let their cubs remain this close to the big boars, who cannibalize them at every opportunity. It's really the biggest hazard of mortality a brown bear cub has. Even here, the sows still are careful but the boars are so intent on fishing they don't pay much attention...

Reactions: seebell and Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Normally, sows would never let their cubs remain this close to the big boars, who cannibalize them at every opportunity. It's really the biggest hazard of mortality a brown bear cub has. Even here, the sows still are careful but the boars are so intent on fishing they don't pay much attention...
FRESH SALMON! :love: 🐻 🐟

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.