LIVE Bear cam: Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Wink LIVE Bear cam: Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska

Re: LIVE Bear cam: Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska

That's some fresh seafood right there!!!

It's always amazed me how they'll tolerate each other so close only at that time of year in the abundance of salmon...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    It's always amazed me how they'll tolerate each other so close only at that time of year in the abundance of salmon...
    I confess I don't know enough about their social behaviour to reply except to ask - normally are they are a bit territorial in addition to protective of their cubs?

BTW...he's out there again catching salmon.....I love this cam!

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    I confess I don't know enough about their social behaviour to reply except to ask - normally are they are a bit territorial in addition to protective of their cubs?

BTW...he's out there again catching salmon.....I love this cam!
    That is not a prime spot with only one bear. Their lower camera is out. In the other, it's not unusual to see a couple dozen at once. Look here around 3:45 to see what I mean: Katmai

The big boars avoid each other and a chance encounter always means a fight. Likewise, the sows with cubs keep their distance from the boars because the boars will kill cubs on sight to bring the sow back into estrus. In fact, the big males are the leading cause of mortality of cubs. Only during salmon season do they seem to call a truce. Even then, the sows will fish downstream from the males and fish warily at that. The biggest, meanest boar gets the prime fishing spot and so on down the pecking order...
    Last edited by TIDE-HSV; August 19th, 2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: typo...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

I'd add that the sows will fight to protect their cubs, when cornered. Occasionally, they'll win, but not often...

Lot of activity this morning...those cubs up on the bank are SO CUTE!

Lot of activity this morning...those cubs up on the bank are SO CUTE!
    What comes up on the link for me is a lone blackie. The browns will kill a black on sight, even in fishing season, so it's smart to separate...

Couple beautiful Fox pics in the comments section...here's one:

Couple beautiful Fox pics in the comments section...here's one:

Cute - and they're probably siblings. There may be more with a combination of coats. Those are called "cross foxes"...

Thanks for info on Foxes, Earle.

The bear is such a magnificent creature....so enjoyable to watch.

Here's a link to pix of cross foxes. Interesting that these three seem to be littermates and they're all single phase instead of being crosses...

LINK