LIVE Bear cam: Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
It's always amazed me how they'll tolerate each other so close only at that time of year in the abundance of salmon...
I confess I don't know enough about their social behaviour to reply except to ask - normally are they are a bit territorial in addition to protective of their cubs?

BTW...he's out there again catching salmon.....I love this cam! ;)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I confess I don't know enough about their social behaviour to reply except to ask - normally are they are a bit territorial in addition to protective of their cubs?

BTW...he's out there again catching salmon.....I love this cam! ;)
That is not a prime spot with only one bear. Their lower camera is out. In the other, it's not unusual to see a couple dozen at once. Look here around 3:45 to see what I mean: Katmai

The big boars avoid each other and a chance encounter always means a fight. Likewise, the sows with cubs keep their distance from the boars because the boars will kill cubs on sight to bring the sow back into estrus. In fact, the big males are the leading cause of mortality of cubs. Only during salmon season do they seem to call a truce. Even then, the sows will fish downstream from the males and fish warily at that. The biggest, meanest boar gets the prime fishing spot and so on down the pecking order...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ole Man Dan

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Here's a link to pix of cross foxes. Interesting that these three seem to be littermates and they're all single phase instead of being crosses...

LINK

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Four out there when I was watching. Thanks for posting! I'm going to bookmark it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Here's a link to pix of cross foxes. Interesting that these three seem to be littermates and they're all single phase instead of being crosses...

LINK
Thanks for the link, Earle...I learned something about this species....cool.

Can you tell if the adult bear in the water is a male or female just by watching through the cam?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thanks for the link, Earle...I learned something about this species....cool.

Can you tell if the adult bear in the water is a male or female just by watching through the cam?
Generally, yes. However, a two-year old male is close to the size of an adult female. The big males have a bit more pronounced hump. You don't generally see a female fishing without cubs...

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Pretty awesome. Will be looking in regularly.

Unfortunately, every time this park comes up, my thoughts are colored by the memory what an imbecile Timothy Treadwell was, as it was my first time hearing of the park.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
What comes up on the link for me is a lone blackie. The browns will kill a black on sight, even in fishing season, so it's smart to separate...
Can we surmise this is a male because there are no cubs?

Or is the 'rule of thumb' more like.....when cubs are present...likely that's a female?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.