VJ Day, Honolulu Hawaii, August 14, 1945

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Just the other day I got locked up into another debate about the ethics of dropping the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Guy seemed to believe that by doing so we surrendered the moral high ground. It was so stupid, and insulting to those of us who had family in the war.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Just the other day I got locked up into another debate about the ethics of dropping the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Guy seemed to believe that by doing so we surrendered the moral high ground. It was so stupid, and insulting to those of us who had family in the war.
I'm sure that guy would not have had any problem with us dropping the bomb if he were on a troop transport ship steaming towards Japan in August 1945.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Ran across this video....really brings a smile to my face every time I watch it.....:p

https://vimeo.com/5645171
Most people don't realize that car styles were frozen in amber from the time we entered the war until a couple of years later. Those early post-war models weren't anything special. We had a 1950 Mercury I learned to drive on. It's a wonder I learned to drive at all...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Give it up! I had two older brothers in the Army Air Corps. One was a navigator on a B-17 and flew his allocated 25 missions. He had a one in five chance of surviving and his unit had 300% casualties. He was told his war was over and to stand down. Then - he was told his unit was being reactivated and transferred to the Pacific theater to support the invasion of Japan. (They didn't tell you why, but everyone knew.) My other brother, who'd spent the war flying sub patrol duty off south Florida was told his wing was being transferred to the Pacific also. It'll never be a hypothetical abstract issue with me...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.