Have you ever seen this picture of Coach Bryant?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

It says it's from the 1976 Liberty Bowl vs UCLA. I had to listen to it on the radio -- as it wasn't on TV where we were. Probably the first game I remember listening to as a child (I was 8).....

I guess the Houndstooth didn't fit over the stocking hat.... ;)

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

It says it's from the 1976 Liberty Bowl vs UCLA. I had to listen to it on the radio -- as it wasn't on TV where we were. Probably the first game I remember listening to as a child (I was 8).....

I guess the Houndstooth didn't fit over the stocking hat.... ;)
I wasn't there but I remember watching the game and it was supposed to be extremely cold that night. I don't remember this picture but I do remember Coach Bryant wearing this gigantic wooly bugger coat during the game. Krymsonman

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
36-6 was the final, and yes that was the game he wore the beanie. You can find the game on youtube and I think it was Keith Jackson cracking a joke about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/1976/12/21/a...66-alabama-romps-in-liberty-bowl.html?mcubz=3

Wind chill was 11. Coldest I ever been was the temp was like 19 with a 45mph winds (Nor'Easter in Rhode Island) and the windchill was like -12. I remember an ice storm in Arkansas in 2000 it was 4 out. Wind chill was negative but I don't remember how low.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I don't ever remember seeing that picture. I was in school in Memphis in 1976 but would have gone home for Christmas break. I don't have any recollection of the game.

The picture made me laugh.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I remember a young sophomore linebacker by the name of Barry Krauss that nearly kill a UCLA return man on the opening kickoff.

Set the tone for the game. Krauss also had a pic 6 later in the game

Last edited:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I remember it well.

I was at the game. Missed the forecast and drove in from Montgomery with only a light windbreaker. Froze half to death. Thank goodness I sat next to our backup center's mom and she shared the end of a blanket she and her husband had so I kept legs from becoming completely immobile.

After the game Coach Bryant said it was about the coldest he had ever been.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
That was a great game against UCLA in the Liberty! It was similar to the beatdown win against Michigan State in the 2010 Citrus Bowl in that it was a good ending to a slightly disappointing season.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I was there and I thought I was going to freeze to death. It was a fun game to watch because those boys from Cali. didn't do so well in the cold!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I grew up in Florence and was nine the day of this game. I remember it was very cold that night there. I watched the game and remember the ski mask he wore.

He had on a baseball cap at the 1982 game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.