Poll: For our African-American posters, which of these flags do you see as racist symbols?

Which of these flags do you see as racist symbols?

• Any and all Confederate flags

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • First official flag of the Confederacy

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Second official flag of the Confederacy

• Third official flag of the Confederacy

• Confederate Battle Flag

• Confederate Navy Jack

• No Confederate flags

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm not sure I'm understanding this sentence.....are they from another country?
I have friends who are black and are originally from Africa. I go to church with a couple and sing with the woman in choir. They consider themselves African and American. They don't consider themselves African-American...

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm white so from my prospective it doesn't matter what I think of them. They are racist symbols in a time in our history that a large part of our society were slaves. I was born and raised in Birmingham and I love my southern heritage. I guess I don't need a racist flag to say I do.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I'm white so from my prospective it doesn't matter what I think of them. They are racist symbols in a time in our history that a large part of our society were slaves. I was born and raised in Birmingham and I love my southern heritage. I guess I don't need a racist flag to say I do.
It just doesn't go back to the time when slavery was still around. You have States that put those symbols on State flags in the 1950's during desegregation efforts just to thumb their noses at Washington DC. I'm sure doing that in the 1950's was about history and heritage too.

I too was born in the south and I'm proud of that, but I don't need those flags to define me.

Last edited:
Eloquently said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I had a very good conversation with a friend of mine who is black. (I am pale enough to be a vein model) He asked me if the confederate statues meant anything to me. I gave it a little thought and just said, "I haven't really ever paid them much attention. I don't know how many I have ever passed by. If they were all gone then I probably wouldn't notice." He wants them all gone. No skin off my teeth. Have at it.

I do have some white friends that would lose their minds if one was ever breathed at wrong. They are continuing to embarrassing themselves on social media right now I bet.

I also today found out that a friend of mine from high school (black girl) had a noose hung outside her grandfather's church (he's the pastor). Repulsive. I can't understand why people are acting out like they have been for the past few years. I know the media is trying to whip them into a race war frenzy, but the media has always tried to do that. Something is different this time.

I had a very good conversation with a friend of mine who is black. (I am pale enough to be a vein model) He asked me if the confederate statues meant anything to me. I gave it a little thought and just said, "I haven't really ever paid them much attention. I don't know how many I have ever passed by. If they were all gone then I probably wouldn't notice." He wants them all gone. No skin off my teeth. Have at it.

I do have some white friends that would lose their minds if one was ever breathed at wrong. They are continuing to embarrassing themselves on social media right now I bet.

I also today found out that a friend of mine from high school (black girl) had a noose hung outside her grandfather's church (he's the pastor). Repulsive. I can't understand why people are acting out like they have been for the past few years. I know the media is trying to whip them into a race war frenzy, but the media has always tried to do that. Something is different this time.
I consider myself "conservative" as well and I don't want them around. I've been saying this forever though, not because of crappy BLM or ANTIFA. Just don't think that stuff should be celebrated if we are truly ONE. That being said, there's a certain way to go about things. We are suppose to be a nation of laws and vandalism has no place. Prosecute those that break the law.

You know, now the left is going after American statues, i.e. George Washington. If they start taking those down, then just take them all down including MLK Jr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I'll start having a problem with it if they go after the Founders that participated in war against the British. I totally get the Confederacy feelings, but Revolutionary War? Those are heroes in a war against a foreign power. Totally different.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Is that the church up in Florence? I saw a story about it on Facebook and some of the comments were disgusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Actually, we have a fair representation of black people on TF. One of our mods is black. However, I know of only one black member who posts occasionally. I've discussed it with others, but they don't perceive NS as being particularly friendly to them. So, I doubt you get much, if any, participation...
I haven't read the non sports board in a good while, but a while back I had the same impression... that there was sometimes a less than friendly attitude towards black people that would discourage their participation. Certainly not from the entire non-sports board, but I can remember there were things I read here that seemed especially ironic...given that this website in good part revolves around a football team that is predominately black.
I'm not surprised you have heard what you have from some of the black members you've talked it over with.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I see this poll is a raging success. I'm not really sure why people would like to vote on which flag offends them then get told why it shouldn't be offensive.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Actually, we have a fair representation of black people on TF. One of our mods is black. However, I know of only one black member who posts occasionally. I've discussed it with others, but they don't perceive NS as being particularly friendly to them. So, I doubt you get much, if any, participation...
This is the saddest thing I've read on here today. If I have ever made anyone feel that way I offer sincere apologies. We need to hear different voices.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I'm not sure I'm understanding this sentence.....are they from another country?
Yes. I grew up around and went to college with a lot of international students, a number of whom were from Africa and the Carribean - so black but not African-American.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I see this poll is a raging success. I'm not really sure why people would like to vote on which flag offends them then get told why it shouldn't be offensive.
That's one of the reasons why I made the poll private; I'd much prefer to have no one told that they should or shouldn't be offended but simply find out by what they might be offended.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.