Poll: For our African-American posters, which of these flags do you see as racist symbols?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Which of these flags do you see as racist symbols?

• Any and all Confederate flags

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • First official flag of the Confederacy

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Second official flag of the Confederacy

• Third official flag of the Confederacy

• Confederate Battle Flag

• Confederate Navy Jack

• No Confederate flags

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
While anyone can answer, I'm especially interested in the opinions of our African-American posters. If anyone is unsure about any of the flags, I've listed them below.

First official flag of the Confederacy:

Second official flag of the Confederacy:

Third official flag of the Confederacy:

Confederate Battle Flag:

Confederate Navy Jack:

So, which of these flags do you personally see as racist symbols?

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Quite possibly.

With all the rhetoric going around over Confederate statues, monuments, and its varying symbols I was just curious as how people felt about the different flags.

Specifically, as to whether or not Confederate symbols - as a whole - were personally viewed as racist symbols or just the ones which have unfortunately been adopted by hate groups.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
By the lack of participation in the poll it appears there's barely any representation of African Americans members on TF's. There may need to be a "study" done to identify the possibility of discriminatory practices here in member acceptance.

I keeed, I keeed :biggrin:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I bet nobody knows anything about this stuff except for you and Tidewater....certainly not those who are doing all the barking here.

And certainly not the public.

And most certainly....not the media.

:biggrin:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
By the lack of participation in the poll it appears there's barely any representation of African Americans members on TF's. There may need to be a "study" done to identify the possibility of discriminatory practices here in member acceptance.

I keeed, I keeed :biggrin:
Actually, we have a fair representation of black people on TF. One of our mods is black. However, I know of only one black member who posts occasionally. I've discussed it with others, but they don't perceive NS as being particularly friendly to them. So, I doubt you get much, if any, participation...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
It's a fascinating rabbit hole to fall into, the discussions hardly ever remain sociable, such it is with emotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As I said above, let's see if any of our black members participate. If not, after a while I'll open it up to the same old cookie-cutter remarks...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Actually, we have a fair representation of black people on TF. One of our mods is black. However, I know of only one black member who posts occasionally. I've discussed it with others, but they don't perceive NS as being particularly friendly to them. So, I doubt you get much, if any, participation...
I wondered about that; it does seem that most of our NS regulars do fall into the same demographic. :)

I thought about posting it on Facebook but I figured that since there was basically a zero percent chance of civil discourse there it might have at least a slightly better chance here.

I've discussed it at length with several of my black friends and acquaintances but, as it turns out, most of them aren't African-Americans.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wondered about that; it does seem that most of our NS regulars do fall into the same demographic. :)

I thought about posting it on Facebook but I figured that since there was basically a zero percent chance of civil discourse there it might have at least a slightly better chance here.

I've discussed it at length with several of my black friends and acquaintances but, as it turns out, most of them aren't African-Americans.
Well, I'll just say that most of them don't feel welcome on this board. I still would like this not to devolve into a discussion among white males as to whether or not white males should or should not view the flags in a certain way. May be no black participation. We'll see...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Are we having diversity issues?

Maybe some of the liberals here could post a few ideas to help us get that resolved?

It's the year 2017 after all.....we need to get with the program!

Sorry if my post is inappropriate.....and I'll stop there.....

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Can a white dude comment?

I see the battle flag as racist, as that is the one generally used by racist groups. I would probably say the Navy flag is also racist as it looks similar to the battle flag.

The other two I rarely see so they don't strike me as racist.

I know a flag is not racist. But the Confederate flags have been incorporated by racist groups. I know not everyone who has a Confederate flag is racist. But all racists seem to have or be really fond of the flag.

I am only aware of one poster that is black. I am sure there are others, but he is the only one I am aware who has mentioned it. I have noticed he hasn't posted in the Charlottesville thread or in NS in general much lately. Granted, he has a life and a big family, so he may have other things going on. But if he doesn't feel comfortable coming here, that makes me very sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I'm not sure I'm understanding this sentence.....are they from another country?

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Don't think he's a poster here but Charles Barkley put it into perspective quite well:

Interviewed by Rick Karle, sports director at WBRC FOX6, Barkley stated:
I’m not going to waste my time worrying about these Confederate statues; that’s wasted energy. You know what I’m gonna do? I’m going to keep doing great things; I’m going to keep trying to make a difference, number one, in the black community, because I’m black, but I’m also going to try to do good things in the world.
I’m not going to waste my time screaming at a neo-Nazi who’s gonna hate me, no matter what; and I’m not going to waste my time, trying to, worried about these statues that they’ve got all over the country.
Karle asked, “So do you leave them up, or do you — ”
Barkley responded:
I’ve always ignored them. … Rick, I’m 54 years old; I’ve never thought about those statues a day in my life. I’ve never — I think if you ask most black people, to be honest, they ain’t thought a day in their life about those stupid statues. What we as black people need to do, we need to worry about getting our education; we need to stop killing each other; we need to try to find a way to have more economic opportunity and things like that. Don’t waste — those things are important and significant. I’m wasting time and energy screaming at a neo-Nazi, or “Man, you gotta take this statue down."
http://www.dailywire.com/news/19925/watch-former-nba-star-charles-barkley-tells-hank-berrien

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
This statement makes me sad.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.