Some Thoughts, Post Canada...

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
And as I am wont to do, focusing more on area that need improvement...

First, a great learning trip for our guys. According to Wimp and also some people I speak with who are much more in tune with International play than I, Bama played much better competition than the aubs, who pummeled some chumps.

Our first game vs McGill was by far the weakest team, thus leading to our blowout win. It was great to see the pace, but that pace slowed in the last two games somewhat.

I think we would have had a better opportunity to go 3-0 IF we had played Carelton in game 1. Carelton is very good, and they had a game of film on us, plus our young guys and new team may have gotten a tad overconfident after the first game. It says, I think, really good things about our guys that we came back and snagged a 3rd quarter lead.

Petty was less effective in the last 2 games - better competition, plus he will thrive with Sexton pushing the ball as the season goes on and the team gets more confident and cohesive.

Areas we have to shore up...

FT shooting, still...

Defensive Rebounding - I love that we want to run, but first you must secure the ball...

Offensive rebounding - We have athletes, and size - now show some "Want To"...

Defense - Particularly against Carelton, we had troubling stopping the ball, and they made us pay over and again. Our transition D was lacking at times, and the defensive rotations and perimeter D were not what they should be. Carelton killed us on the offensive glass and then kicking out to a spotted up guy who can shoot. Granted, their shot clock only reset to 10 after an offensive board, so they were MUCH MORE adept and used to it - at times it was like a clinic how they saw an offensive rebound in the makings, and guys immediately found open spot for 3, or a cutting lane to the hoop.

I also want to see a little more toughness...

Again a great trip.

PS - Junior still loves that scoop shot...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
And as I am wont to do, focusing more on area that need improvement...

First, a great learning trip for our guys. According to Wimp and also some people I speak with who are much more in tune with International play than I, Bama played much better competition than the aubs, who pummeled some chumps.

Our first game vs McGill was by far the weakest team, thus leading to our blowout win. It was great to see the pace, but that pace slowed in the last two games somewhat.

I think we would have had a better opportunity to go 3-0 IF we had played Carelton in game 1. Carelton is very good, and they had a game of film on us, plus our young guys and new team may have gotten a tad overconfident after the first game. It says, I think, really good things about our guys that we came back and snagged a 3rd quarter lead.

Petty was less effective in the last 2 games - better competition, plus he will thrive with Sexton pushing the ball as the season goes on and the team gets more confident and cohesive.

Areas we have to shore up...

FT shooting, still...

Defensive Rebounding - I love that we want to run, but first you must secure the ball...

Offensive rebounding - We have athletes, and size - now show some "Want To"...

Defense - Particularly against Carelton, we had troubling stopping the ball, and they made us pay over and again. Our transition D was lacking at times, and the defensive rotations and perimeter D were not what they should be. Carelton killed us on the offensive glass and then kicking out to a spotted up guy who can shoot. Granted, their shot clock only reset to 10 after an offensive board, so they were MUCH MORE adept and used to it - at times it was like a clinic how they saw an offensive rebound in the makings, and guys immediately found open spot for 3, or a cutting lane to the hoop.

I also want to see a little more toughness...

Again a great trip.

PS - Junior still loves that scoop shot...
We are going to have 3 weeks or so of pre-season practice we can work on rebounding, toughness, other. We typically don't have this "preview" so obviously there are some weaknesses that need to get worked out but what a great teaching preview this trip was.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Coach Johnson said in the open practice that they are still a work in progress so don't take the results in Canada at face value. He was looking at players and rotations more than the score board. Rebounding is an area where we struggled at times, but you have to remember one of the best rebounders ,Ingram, was not playing. I do think Hall and Giddens need to pick it up though. I was sorely disappointed in our free throw shooting. That is an area where we can surely be better than we seem to be at this point.

Still, all in all, I was pleased with the way we played in Canada. We'll be further ahead of where we were this time last year by a large margin.

RTR, Buckle Up Bama.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I believe we'll have a our first "pure shooter" in Petty that we've seen in a number of years. Earnest Shelton like!!!

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
TiderJ nailed it. The beauty of the Canadian trip is the young players can experience the weaknesses so when pre-season practice cranks up, they will have a better understanding of what and why the coaches are teaching. It should help them focus and speed up the gelling process.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i took from our trip that our bench needs to step up somehow. I dont see much unless our returning guys from the bench along with Herb Jones can step it up. Petty may be/is too good to come off the bench, even with starters minutes. After our starters, i foresee scoring droughts like the last several years. Still a better overall team of course. But CAJ is going to have to be creative with the rotation. I think the Center position is still up for grabs but Giddens is a fouling machine. also was a fouling machine in limited minutes at OSU..For that reason, Hall i see Hall as our starter.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.