News Article: USS Indianapolis found

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Billionaire Paul Allen Finds Lost World War II Cruiser USS Indianapolis in the Philippine Sea

Seventy-two years after two torpedoes fired from a Japanese submarine sunk cruiser USS Indianapolis (CA-35), the ship’s wreckage was found resting on the seafloor on Saturday – more than 18,000 feet below the Pacific Ocean’s surface.

Paul Allen, Microsoft co-founder and billionaire philanthropist, led a search team, assisted by historians from the Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC) in Washington, D.C., to accomplish what past searches had failed to do – find Indianapolis, considered the last great naval tragedy of World War II.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
very cool story, how I and I suspect most of us learned the Tale of the Indianapolis and a great example of how Spielberg turned what could've been a stupid monster movie and made it a classic

Mob-Bama

2nd Team
Dec 14, 2001
Mobile, AL USA
very cool story, how I and I suspect most of us learned the Tale of the Indianapolis and a great example of how Spielberg turned what could've been a stupid monster movie and made it a classic
It is definitely how I learned the story of the U.S.S. Indianapolis. AND, one of the few times I have "Liked" what Jon said! :)

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I used to be able to quote it word for word. It is how I learned about it even though Quint gets the date wrong.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It must be extremely satisfying to Paul Allen to have the means to hunt and actually find this ship. What a great use of extra or disposable cash.

dvil doc

1st Team
Dec 3, 2014
Northern Virginia
I was stationed at the Navy Yard close to the Naval History and Heritage Command and once visited the room on their third deck, now offices, in which Captain McVay was court martialed. He was found guilty of not zig zagging but later reprieved and retired as a rear admiral.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Some of the survivors that made it into the water were in for terror filled time there. I can't even imagine the horror that they experienced.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
My wife's grandfather was supposed to be on the Indianapolis on that fateful voyage. He came down sick and was in the hospital and not allowed to board the ship when it left.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Wow!

Harrell said recently, the great granddaughter of Commander Mochitsura Hashimoto came to visit him in Clarksville. Hashimoto had ordered the torpedoes that sank the Indianapolis. Days later, much of his family died in the Hiroshima bombing.

“That man sank us and now I know several of his family,” Harrell said. “It’s called reconciliation. The little girl to come and hug my neck, it was an honor.”

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.