R.I.P. Jerry Lewis - age 91 - natural causes

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Sadly, this is the first thing that pops into my head when I hear his name now:

Thanks for that reminder...I knew he had done something in his later years that I wasn't happy about, but I couldn't remember what it was.

I never understood why he was so wildly popular in France.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Wow, that was painful to watch. RIP.
I wish nothing but good things for the man and his family, but at someone point in your life you either say "no thank you" to an interview request or you engage the interviewer.

When I was a kid I laughed at his antics, but as an adult I never was a fan...

I've seen more than one interview with him from his later years that sullied my view of him. It saddens me, but it reminds me that we're all human.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I wish nothing but good things for the man and his family, but at someone point in your life you either say "no thank you" to an interview request or you engage the interviewer.

When I was a kid I laughed at his antics, but as an adult I never was a fan...

I've seen more than one interview with him from his later years that sullied my view of him. It saddens me, but it reminds me that we're all human.
I always heard that, up close, he just wasn't a very nice person. God rest his soul, in any event...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Well, it seems that CNN reported the wrong Jerry Lewis passed. Yep, they got the one that is related to Jimmy Swaggart.

I would link the article, but the story has some words that won't pass here. (And no, it wasn't on BannonBart. Now to be known as just BBart.)

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
He did a lot of good but his brand of humor was always just a bit too silly for me...
The Day the Clown Cried

Although never seen publicly, the film became a source of legend almost immediately after its production. In May 1992, an article in Spy magazine quotes comedian and actor Harry Shearer, who saw a rough cut of the film in 1979:

With most of these kinds of things, you find that the anticipation, or the concept, is better than the thing itself. But seeing this film was really awe-inspiring, in that you are rarely in the presence of a perfect object. This was a perfect object. This movie is so drastically wrong, its pathos and its comedy are so wildly misplaced, that you could not, in your fantasy of what it might be like, improve on what it really is. "Oh, My God!"—that's all you can say.
— Harry Shearer, Spy magazine, 1992[7]

Shearer also goes on to point out why Lewis would make the film: he believed "the Academy can't ignore this". When asked to sum up the experience of the film overall, he responded by saying that the closest he could come was like "if you flew down to Tijuana and suddenly saw a painting on black velvet of Auschwitz. You'd just think 'My God, wait a minute!' It's not funny, and it's not good, and somebody's trying too hard in the wrong direction to convey this strongly-held feeling."
I wonder if this will ever see the light of day.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, it seems that CNN reported the wrong Jerry Lewis passed. Yep, they got the one that is related to Jimmy Swaggart.

I would link the article, but the story has some words that won't pass here. (And no, it wasn't on BannonBart. Now to be known as just BBart.)
Actually it should have been changed a long time ago. Bannon basically took it over from Breitbart, after he died. (Interesting name - "broad beard.")

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
RIP Mr Lewis! You make me laugh but much more importantly you served the world well fighting for "Jerry's Kids"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.