US destroyer collides with merchant ship near Singapore

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The Navy's 7th Fleet said in a statement that the USS John S. McCain collided with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while the destroyer was making its way to a port visit in Singapore, the Navy said. The collision was reported at 5:24 am local time, according to the Navy statement.

A Navy official told CNN initial reports indicated only minor injuries among the McCain's crew of about 330 but that a full accounting of the crew was ongoing.

Search and rescue efforts are under way, the Navy statement said, with helicopters and Marine Corps Osprey aircraft from the amphibious assault ship USS America responding.

Singaporean ships and helicopters were also responding, the Navy said.

Initial reports indicate the US ship sustained damage to its aft port (rear left) side, the Navy said. It said the McCain was steaming under its own power to port.

It did not give information on the status of the merchant vessel.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/20/asia/us-navy-destroyer-collision-singapore/index.html?adkey=bn

Coincidence? Or...?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
When this story notification popped up on my phone I thought it was an accidental repost from a few months ago. I even started reading the story thinking, "didn't this already happen" until it mentioned the other crash.

Seems odd that 2 navy ships, within a few months, in the same part of the world, collide with another ship. It took the second plane hitting the second tower before we realized what was really happening, just saying.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When this story notification popped up on my phone I thought it was an accidental repost from a few months ago. I even started reading the story thinking, "didn't this already happen" until it mentioned the other crash.

Seems odd that 2 navy ships, within a few months, in the same part of the world, collide with another ship. It took the second plane hitting the second tower before we realized what was really happening, just saying.
I did a sort of retake also. On the towers, I had a mid-morning haircut and I had ABC on at home while waiting to leave. When I turned it on, the first plane had had hit and Charlie Gibson and, I think, Diane Sawyer, were discussing whether it were an accident. While I watched, the second plane came sailing in. It dawned on me, and on the anchors at the same time, that this was an attack. When I got to the hairdressers, I assured them that the towers wouldn't come down. Fortunately for me, I was out of there before they did, saving me some embarrassment...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I did a sort of retake also. On the towers, I had a mid-morning haircut and I had ABC on at home while waiting to leave. When I turned it on, the first plane had had hit and Charlie Gibson and, I think, Diane Sawyer, were discussing whether it were an accident. While I watched, the second plane came sailing in. It dawned on me, and on the anchors at the same time, that this was an attack. When I got to the hairdressers, I assured them that the towers wouldn't come down. Fortunately for me, I was out of there before they did, saving me some embarrassment...
I was driving in to work when the first tower fell - I recall being on the interstate, stuck in traffic, tears in my eyes from sadness and anger. OKC was bad enough, but this was a whole other level. I was scheduled to fly out to a convention just two weeks after 9/11, but it was rescheduled. When we arrived in early December, you could still see the smoldering ruins from atop the Empire State Building...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm still stunned that those two huge buildings completely collapsed like they did. Pancaked.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was driving in to work when the first tower fell - I recall being on the interstate, stuck in traffic, tears in my eyes from sadness and anger. OKC was bad enough, but this was a whole other level. I was scheduled to fly out to a convention just two weeks after 9/11, but it was rescheduled. When we arrived in early December, you could still see the smoldering ruins from atop the Empire State Building...
Everything being pretty much shut down, my next door neighbor and I decided to play golf on 9/12. By a strange coincidence, they joined us up with a tourist. He was a semi regular, making a swing twice a year through the south and coming through here to visit his son. He was the email director for the Whitehouse. He kept calling in and they kept telling him not to come in, that there was nothing he could do and he couldn't get there, anyway. Learned a lot about the WH from him. He was on the congressional witness list during the Clinton scandal but didn't get called...

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
From the pictures of the ships it's hard to tell how they collided. Which rammed the other.

Is someone telling us we are not welcome in their sea? I wish the they'd put radar on those boats:rolleyes:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
From the pictures of the ships it's hard to tell how they collided. Which rammed the other.
Probably safe to assume the McCain didn't back sideways into the other ship, but who knows?

"Initial reports indicate the US ship sustained damage to its aft port (rear left) side, the Navy said."

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Probably safe to assume the McCain didn't back sideways into the other ship, but who knows?

"Initial reports indicate the US ship sustained damage to its aft port (rear left) side, the Navy said."
There is a lot of room to maneuver and avoid collisions in an open sea, yet we seem to keep having naval wrecks. There is a lot to worry about these days, but this is especially scary as who knows what's really going on.

The battleship does have the ability to deal with an incoming ship determined to ram it, yet it took the hit. It must be a complicated situation.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I did a sort of retake also. On the towers, I had a mid-morning haircut and I had ABC on at home while waiting to leave. When I turned it on, the first plane had had hit and Charlie Gibson and, I think, Diane Sawyer, were discussing whether it were an accident. While I watched, the second plane came sailing in. It dawned on me, and on the anchors at the same time, that this was an attack. When I got to the hairdressers, I assured them that the towers wouldn't come down. Fortunately for me, I was out of there before they did, saving me some embarrassment and a flat top...

FIFY

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think they should hire Derrick Henry. When a ship gets too close, he can just apply his basic stiff arm technique....

The Titanic would have survived had they hired Derrick ....

Just sayin

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The Navy's 7th Fleet said in a statement that the USS John S. McCain collided with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while the destroyer was making its way to a port visit in Singapore, the Navy said.

A Navy official told CNN initial reports indicated only minor injuries among the McCain's crew of about 330, [but 10 members of the crew remain missing]. Search and rescue efforts are under way, the Navy statement said
"That's too bad."
-POTUS

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
They've already found that US Navy sailors' negligence caused the first crash. Just sayin.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.