Rest in Peace Robert Shirley, a True Alabama Fan

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Forgive me this indulgence, as Robert wasn't a poster on this forum. He was my brother, and someone I occasionally mention (for those who have had the misfortune of reading my posts). He was the one who took me to my first Alabama game, and he and I would discuss Alabama football for hours. I saw him last for his birthday, and of course we discussed the upcoming season.

His passing was a sudden and a great loss to his friends and family. I still wouldn't have made a post about it here though, but I was struck by how many people at his wake showed up wearing Alabama shirts (a majority). Even his daughter, who once professed to be an Auburn fan showed up fully decked out in houndstooth. He of course also had Alabama gear in his casket.

For some people, Alabama sports just represent events that are nothing more than a source of entertainment. For others though, it unifies us, and gives us something to be proud of. The common bond it gives my family is important. Alabama football can be more than just a game. It's about tradition, pride, and family.

I will spend this upcoming season fondly remembering my brother. Next time any of you find yourself with family during a game, please make sure you savor the moment.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Sorry for the loss of your brother, Krazy. I'm glad you two were close, and that you have those memories now.

Last edited:

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Sorry, K3, for the passing of your brother. Family losses can leave huge holes in our heart. Condolences to you and your family. May God bless and comfort you all.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Prayers for you and your family...death may be inevitable, but sudden, didn't see that coming death is gut wrenching. Grief will be a constant companion...take care of yourself and stick close to your friends.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
That was as good a Eulogy for a brother as I have seen. I know Robert is smiling down on you now, K3.

Sincerest condolences on your (our) loss. Robert will always be with you (us) on Game Day.....

tidegrandpa

All-American
Forgive me this indulgence, as Robert wasn't a poster on this forum. He was my brother, and someone I occasionally mention (for those who have had the misfortune of reading my posts). He was the one who took me to my first Alabama game, and he and I would discuss Alabama football for hours. I saw him last for his birthday, and of course we discussed the upcoming season.

His passing was a sudden and a great loss to his friends and family. I still wouldn't have made a post about it here though, but I was struck by how many people at his wake showed up wearing Alabama shirts (a majority). Even his daughter, who once professed to be an Auburn fan showed up fully decked out in houndstooth. He of course also had Alabama gear in his casket.

For some people, Alabama sports just represent events that are nothing more than a source of entertainment. For others though, it unifies us, and gives us something to be proud of. The common bond it gives my family is important. Alabama football can be more than just a game. It's about tradition, pride, and family.

I will spend this upcoming season fondly remembering my brother. Next time any of you find yourself with family during a game, please make sure you savor the moment.
Just attended my oldest brother's surprise birthday party in Shreveport. He always travels down to south Texas to our house Labor day for opening football weekend. Will surely have this in mind this year.
Extremely touched by our post, I hate it for you and your family but thanks for sharing it.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
What a loving tribute and apt advice to all of us to hold our time with our loved ones close to our hearts.
Your words show your love and how much you will miss your brother. Praying for you and your family and hoping the good memories bring you comfort.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
So sorry to hear this KrAzY. I lost my only brother unexpectedly also, that was over 40 years ago and I still miss him and often wonder how it would have been to have a brother to grow old with. Sincerest condolences to you and your brother's family.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Having buried two brothers, I empathize completely. It is like a small piece of you is buried with them.

My condolences and prayers are with you in this time of grief.

Last edited:

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
Prayers to you and your family. Tide football is a shared family bond in my life as well, and I hope the memories you've shared with your brother through this passion keep him close to you always in spirit and in your heart.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.