ESPN writer is in trouble after making up a Nick Saban quote in a Tweet

Bama_M.D.

Suspended
Aug 30, 2014
ESPN is daily pushing far left views after all Disney owns ESPN and ABC fake news. I dont know how much yall see their headlines but theres almost always one that is pro liberial and never the other way around. I abandoned their web site awhile back and wish there were options to watch the games without abc/espn. You can be sure the "race war" will be in full swing this fall on gameday.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I could go on forever on this. Give Selma and Krazy a run for their money on length.

But I'll leave at just this: The initial fabricated quote betrayed Wise's disdain for winners. His apology, if you could call it that, told me all I need to know about his beliefs about life in general.

I mean, can you imagine him saying that one would have to prove Irish heritage (naturally, of a percentage determined by Wise and other like-minded oracles) in order to wear a green derby and face-painted shamrocks to a Notre Dame game?

And the management of media outlets in general, not just ESPN, genuinely wonder why their voices and content are more and more ignored. SMH.
The guy clearly thinks he did nothing wrong. What a schmuck!

Must be a kid... :cool2:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Wise apologized for the fabricated Saban quote later on Twitter.

"Anyone that took my sarcastic tweets about Nick Saban seriously, my apologies. I'll take them down," Wise posted. "Especially to Alabama's SID. My bad."

He followed that with one more note on Alabama to his 31,000-plus followers. "If it's any consolation," Wise wrote, "I believe non-Native students shouldn't paint their face for football games. So I hope Alabama kills Florida State."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...ter_disciplined_after.html#incart_river_index

Here we go again and people still wonder if ESPN/ABC/Disney has a Politically Correct Agenda to mold our thinking to fit their own.

I wonder what he has against women painting their faces?
I'm sure Danny Kannell tweeted an image of his face painted, in response.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I love Bryant's quote...

but can anybody imagine the summer before football season, then the season hits, and no sportswriters? No sports news in the paper to read? Sometimes what they write drives me crazy, but imagine the alternative.

Sometimes they write a good column, sometimes they strike out. But I'd rather they try to cover the sport than not. Plus it's too much fun bashing them when they screw up, like this guy did.

I know nobody is suggesting there should be no reporters, but sometimes the media bashing can get carried away. I think in this particular case, he deserves his bashing.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I wish I could watch all the game without espn. I knew they were pushing an agenda when they had two young men licking cake off each other after a draft choice. They have been trying way too hard to push political correctness.
Sarcasm/irony, if in fact this is what the writer was aspiring to, is very tricky to pull off for a mass audience. This quote doesn't go anywhere near far enough to let readers know that the column is an attempt at humor. Whether it's funny or appropriate is another judgment entirely.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The fact that ESPN won't fire someone for literally fabricating quotes (despite the attempt to deflect it as 'sarcasm') tells me that everything I believe about ESPN is true. And it's why I removed the ESPN bookmarks on my computers.
I foresee ESPN eventually evolving into more of a News/Politics (through the prism of sports) platform. They've basically unofficially shifted that way now. But as many viewers as they've lost because of the political leanings, for them to continue to stubbornly force feed it into their product tells me that's where they really want to go anyway.

As an aside (because it will impact ESPN as well), Direct TV is basically giving away the NFL Sunday Ticket for anyone who either calls and says they are canceling Direct TV OR anyone who is not renewing the NFL Ticket. My dad got the NFL Ticket for free because he was about to cancel Direct TV. The representative he spoke to said that they are losing customers by the droves and that the NFL Sunday Ticket isn't being renewed by the droves. Regarding those not renewing the Sunday Ticket (but keeping Direct TV), they are doing so because of the politics in the NFL. The guy told my dad that when people call to not renew, the majority without being prompted, are stating their reasons. The overwhelming majority is because they are tired of having politics injected into their sports. I have a feeling ratings are going to take another major hit for Goodell and the boys this season.

To stay on topic, this guy fabricating material doesn't surprise me at all. He should have been fired immediately. But, as you alluded to, it's ESPN.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I love Bryant's quote...

but can anybody imagine the summer before football season, then the season hits, and no sportswriters? No sports news in the paper to read? Sometimes what they write drives me crazy, but imagine the alternative.

Sometimes they write a good column, sometimes they strike out. But I'd rather they try to cover the sport than not. Plus it's too much fun bashing them when they screw up, like this guy did.

I know nobody is suggesting there should be no reporters, but sometimes the media bashing can get carried away. I think in this particular case, he deserves his bashing.
Most of them suck, but anyone who literally makes up quotes should be fired. If that's all of them, fire them all. I don't believe most do that - I don't believe many at all do it, in fact - but it should not be tolerated at all.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This tweet was very poor form and was going for attention grabbing not journalism. His parting shot against FSU kinda shows that he's looking to stoke flames by using the deep-seeded racial issues in this country for his gain. Disgusting and harmful to progress.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Maybe sports journalism should be about sports. IDK...call me crazy, but it seems to make sense. I love when there is some life challenges had to be overcome flavor to it.... The triumph of the human spirit...you know, kinda what sports is all about. And sometimes history, politics, and sport overlap. That's OK. Tell it like it happened. Don't make stuff up and don't give your audience exactly what they are watching you to escape from just a little bit.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Wise apologized for the fabricated Saban quote later on Twitter.

"Anyone that took my sarcastic tweets about Nick Saban seriously, my apologies. I'll take them down," Wise posted. "Especially to Alabama's SID. My bad."

He followed that with one more note on Alabama to his 31,000-plus followers. "If it's any consolation," Wise wrote, "I believe non-Native students shouldn't paint their face for football games. So I hope Alabama kills Florida State."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...ter_disciplined_after.html#incart_river_index

Here we go again and people still wonder if ESPN/ABC/Disney has a Politically Correct Agenda to mold our thinking to fit their own.

I wonder what he has against women painting their faces?
Comedy is a hard game. If you're funny, all is forgiven. If you're not, in certain situations, you could lose your job. This tweet was not funny enough, if at all. This clown has proven he is untalented at his "job".

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
In context of this thread...you have to ask yourself what motivated this reporter to fabricate his story?
Retweets and Likes.

That's all "journalist" care about these days, facts be ...

I truly think that a lot of the unrest around the country today would not be anywhere near as bad without social media. It has given every idiot a voice that can be heard and the media uses it to stir the pot.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I truly think that a lot of the unrest around the country today would not be anywhere near as bad without social media.
Like minded people tend to link and repeat whatever seems to enforce their narrative. It doesn't matter if it's based in fact. We see it on our own OT board. Some even take it way to personal. Sending tweets does not come close to a discussion of people sitting across from one another. Clear communication is hard enough in person.

Last edited:

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
When I finally found the quote last night my initial thought was the way it looked to the public who didn't realize that it was sarcasm on the writer's part. I have never seen his name until Cecil hurt retweeted the apology. It just made Coach Saban look bad and with the kids and their families trying to make decisions about where to spend the next four or five years playing football and getting an education it could have really gone south for us in recruiting. It could have also made the current players think much less of Coach because of his attitudes about current events. I just don't understand how he kept his job after this lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I happened upon the "quotes" not long after the espn guy had posted them on twitter, but long enough for a bunch of haters / sycophants to have chimed in, in the echo chamber in which they dwell.

Included in this group was a WaPo reporter who had tweeted something along the lines of "As if I needed another reason to hate Saban..."

I instinctively knew that there was no way on earth Coach would ever have said such things, and so hit back against the haters as much as circumstance permitted at the time...

Making sure to point out to them how shtoopid they looked having had been punked by one of their own...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.