ESPN writer is in trouble after making up a Nick Saban quote in a Tweet

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I happened upon the "quotes" not long after the espn guy had posted them on twitter, but long enough for a bunch of haters / sycophants to have chimed in, in the echo chamber in which they dwell.

Included in this group was a WaPo reporter who had tweeted something along the lines of "As if I needed another reason to hate Saban..."

I instinctively knew that there was no way on earth Coach would ever have said such things, and so hit back against the haters as much as circumstance permitted at the time...

Making sure to point out to them how shtoopid they looked having had been punked by one of their own...
I wish the guy would ask Coach Saban a question at a news conference one day and Coach just rip him another one.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
"My bad" is not something you say if you are sincerely sorry for doing something that could damage another person's reputation.

I don't know what his point in doing this was. Race relations is a hot button issue and probably not something you should joke about. I can't believe he still has a job.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I wish the guy would ask Coach Saban a question at a news conference one day and Coach just rip him another one.
If I were CNS, I would respond with: "Why ask me a question when it is much easier for you to make up your own answer."

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
"My bad" is not something you say if you are sincerely sorry for doing something that could damage another person's reputation.

I don't know what his point in doing this was. Race relations is a hot button issue and probably not something you should joke about. I can't believe he still has a job.
I'd bet on him being quietly let go a short time after returning from suspension. They don't want to fire him directly because his supporters would cause a PR blowback. They'll get rid of him after the public has forgotten about all this mess.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The ironic part is CNS tries his best to avoid hot-button issues. I recall someone asked him about voting, and he side-stepped it, as best he could. (Why get 1/2 of your fanbase mad at you?)

A lot of "journalists" took exception to his answer, so no matter what you say, someone will conflate it.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Really stupid move on the reporters part.

I'm not a fan of tweeting, it's seems to be a glaring example of the dumbing down of things in general. I was reading Rushs post, he reads a dumb post on twitter, followed by a flood of more dumb misinformed tweets echoing the garbage. I salute Rush for hitting back, but it almost seems to be a waste of time. Why get in the mud with them?

What happened to complete paragraphs, and coherent discussion that does more that seem like a clever way to try to simplify a thought in 140 letters?

I think what that reporter tweeted was outrageous, but that seems to be one of the built in features of tweeting, and what I mean by that is when you try to cover a delicate or complicated, complex issue by tweeting, it's not even a serious shot at actually communicating, in my humble opinion.

And have you heard the music kids are listening too these days?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'd bet on him being quietly let go a short time after returning from suspension. They don't want to fire him directly because his supporters would cause a PR blowback. They'll get rid of him after the public has forgotten about all this mess.
Don't see how firing him immediately after this would have been an issue.

Second time doing something like this.

Fabricating quotes on a hot-button issue.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Really stupid move on the reporters part.

I'm not a fan of tweeting, it's seems to be a glaring example of the dumbing down of things in general. I was reading Rushs post, he reads a dumb post on twitter, followed by a flood of more dumb misinformed tweets echoing the garbage. I salute Rush for hitting back, but it almost seems to be a waste of time. Why get in the mud with them?

What happened to complete paragraphs, and coherent discussion that does more that seem like a clever way to try to simplify a thought in 140 letters?

I think what that reporter tweeted was outrageous, but that seems to be one of the built in features of tweeting, and what I mean by that is when you try to cover a delicate or complicated, complex issue by tweeting, it's not even a serious shot at actually communicating, in my humble opinion.

And have you heard the music kids are listening too these days?
Our society can't pay attention that long, that's why.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
"Anyone that took my sarcastic tweets about Nick Saban seriously, my apologies. I'll take them down," Wise posted. "Especially to Alabama's SID. My bad."
As a public service, here is a quick lesson in what satire looks like:

"Coach Lou Saban, of the Alabama Univ. Water Buffaloes said........................"
:biggrin2:

(Even that might fail, since a lot of folks think Lou Saban is the father of CNS.)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.