ESPN writer is in trouble after making up a Nick Saban quote in a Tweet

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Wise apologized for the fabricated Saban quote later on Twitter.

"Anyone that took my sarcastic tweets about Nick Saban seriously, my apologies. I'll take them down," Wise posted. "Especially to Alabama's SID. My bad."

He followed that with one more note on Alabama to his 31,000-plus followers. "If it's any consolation," Wise wrote, "I believe non-Native students shouldn't paint their face for football games. So I hope Alabama kills Florida State."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...ter_disciplined_after.html#incart_river_index

Here we go again and people still wonder if ESPN/ABC/Disney has a Politically Correct Agenda to mold our thinking to fit their own.

I wonder what he has against women painting their faces?

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
ESPN cut all those jobs a few months ago and this guy kept his job? He must know where the bodies are buried.He knows anytime Coach Saban is in a headline, it will get hits. This guy calls himself a journalist?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
"Non-native students shouldn't paint their face."

Seems kind of a confusing double negative. Is he saying native students should wear face paint to games? A pc expert could go after that statement from several different angles. :)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I could go on forever on this. Give Selma and Krazy a run for their money on length.

But I'll leave at just this: The initial fabricated quote betrayed Wise's disdain for winners. His apology, if you could call it that, told me all I need to know about his beliefs about life in general.

I mean, can you imagine him saying that one would have to prove Irish heritage (naturally, of a percentage determined by Wise and other like-minded oracles) in order to wear a green derby and face-painted shamrocks to a Notre Dame game?

And the management of media outlets in general, not just ESPN, genuinely wonder why their voices and content are more and more ignored. SMH.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Well, you see, there are these guys called editors...
TW, those editorial jobs are dying off faster than ESPN anchors.

AL.com actually used the fact that they had none as a recruiting point for blowhard reporters. They've since backed off that. But only a little, and only after the entirely predictable sloppiness on the facts cropped up on an embarrassingly frequent basis.

Walter Cronkite, Edward Murrow, and even Ed Strickland and Gene Wortsman (Google them) are sitting at a table in heaven, crying into their whiskies.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The fact that ESPN won't fire someone for literally fabricating quotes (despite the attempt to deflect it as 'sarcasm') tells me that everything I believe about ESPN is true. And it's why I removed the ESPN bookmarks on my computers.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I could go on forever on this. Give Selma and Krazy a run for their money on length.

But I'll leave at just this: The initial fabricated quote betrayed Wise's disdain for winners. His apology, if you could call it that, told me all I need to know about his beliefs about life in general.

I mean, can you imagine him saying that one would have to prove Irish heritage (naturally, of a percentage determined by Wise and other like-minded oracles) in order to wear a green derby and face-painted shamrocks to a Notre Dame game?

And the management of media outlets in general, not just ESPN, genuinely wonder why their voices and content are more and more ignored. SMH.

Not only did life begin at 40 but so did the tendency for me to tell the same story over and over and add new details!!!!

So I resemble that remark.

I'm becoming more revolted by ESPN by the freaking day. I literally CANNOT believe this is a SPORTS network anymore. I have a policy where I will only watch our games I do not attend in person on ESPN and NOTHING else.

I haven't watched Mike and Mike since the day after the Falcons blew the 28-3 lead.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
ESPN seems to have sunk to the level of the mainstream press.
(Anything goes)

Guess I'm Old School, but I always liked Sports Reporting. I have never cared for sports opinion pieces. I care even less for lies/exaggerations and 'Made Up Stories'... (Aren't those lies?)

ESPN obviously missed one when they were cleaning house... OR... Is this an example of the new ESPN?

Last edited:

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
A journalist fabricating quotes should be fired.
Hiding behind "I was joking" or "It was sarcasm" is pretty sorry.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I hope now everyone appreciates the disparaging remarks I have been making over on NS.......about the media.

They truly are our country's worst enemy right now.

In context of this thread...you have to ask yourself what motivated this reporter to fabricate his story?

Pretty disgusting if you ask me and a terrible thing to do just prior to the start of the 2017 season. Yeech!

I will add that there are exceptions....but not enough of them, IMHO.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I wish I could watch all the game without espn. I knew they were pushing an agenda when they had two young men licking cake off each other after a draft choice. They have been trying way too hard to push political correctness.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not to pile on, but this guy apparently has a history of fabricating sports news. When folks lie at work, and their lies are exposed in a public way, they generally lose their jobs. This guy is going to get fired. I am just surprised that it hasn't happened yet.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I heard a reporter ask a college football player what his "team" thought about the "riot" in Charlottesville and he said "no comment." My first thought was "what is a sports reporter doing asking a divisive and political question in a sports interview?'

Of course we know why, don't we.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Not to pile on, but this guy apparently has a history of fabricating sports news. When folks lie at work, and their lies are exposed in a public way, they generally lose their jobs. This guy is going to get fired. I am just surprised that it hasn't happened yet.
Well, why does he still have a job? This isn't the first time, you know. He will get fired the FIRST time he lies un-PC.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
When I finally found the quote last night my initial thought was the way it looked to the public who didn't realize that it was sarcasm on the writer's part. I have never seen his name until Cecil hurt retweeted the apology. It just made Coach Saban look bad and with the kids and their families trying to make decisions about where to spend the next four or five years playing football and getting an education it could have really gone south for us in recruiting. It could have also made the current players think much less of Coach because of his attitudes about current events. I just don't understand how he kept his job after this lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
ESPN seems to have sunk to the level of the mainstream press.
(Anything goes)

Guess I'm Old School, but I always liked Sports Reporting. I have never cared for sports opinion pieces. I care even less for lies/exaggerations and 'Made Up Stories'... (Aren't those lies?)

ESPN obviously missed one when they were cleaning house... OR... Is this an example of the new ESPN?
It's the new normal at ESPN. It's time for college football to start their own network.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.