Question: What is your favorite all time opening week game?

bamaman2988

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 7, 2009
Eufaula, Al
For me, it would have to be the 2008 Clemson game. It was the game that let the college football world know that Saban had arrived. Remember a lot of hype surrounding Clemson that year but we quickly put that to bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
For me, it would have to be the 2008 Clemson game. It was the game that let the college football world know that Saban had arrived. Remember a lot of hype surrounding Clemson that year but we quickly put that to bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same exact game for me. It also showed us the fans the real type of blue-collar high quality football we would see from a CNS coached team. No more optional workouts and ice cream cone breaks during practice. It was mud-hole stomping time.

It also introduced everyone to my All-Time Favorite player..... Mark Ingram.....a blue collar runner....who stomped holes is said mud and dragged opposing defenses down the field. It was beautiful.

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
It would have to be the 2016 USC game. We absolutely crushed a team that would go on to finish in the top 5. It doesn't get any better than that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
1985 Georgia. It was played on Labor Day Monday night and that didn't happen back then like it does now. ABC used it as basically their first Monday Night Football game as NFL hadn't begun. Keith and Frank. Tide goes 80 yards for a TD after giving up the lead on a blocked punt with 50 seconds left.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
While the season wasn't fantastic, the 1998 opener was my favorite. I was in school at the time and was in attendance.

It was the first game after completion of the east upper deck. It was also Shaun Alexander's first game as the primary back in the offense and he set the school record at the time for most TDs in a game with 5.

I have a famed picture of the opening kick-off from this game that hangs over the desk in my home office.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
For me, it would have to be the 2008 Clemson game. It was the game that let the college football world know that Saban had arrived. Remember a lot of hype surrounding Clemson that year but we quickly put that to bed. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
X2 - I watched that game in a hotel room with my two kids who became Alabama fans as that game unfolded.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
For me it would be 2008 Clemson game. It was a preview of great things to come from CNS.

Also, the 1978 game against 10th ranked Nebraska. Night at Legion field, nationally televised and the start of a championship season. We got pay back for the '77 loss to the corn huskers.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Easily Clemson 2008 for me. We hadn't played a lot of the big neutral site season openers prior to this one. Discussing the team amongst other Bama fans you could kind of feel everyone wanting to say "You know, we might be pretty good this year", with everyone waiting for just one reason to go all in on us being back to BAMA. After the game, I felt we all knew what was about to happen.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
While the season wasn't fantastic, the 1998 opener was my favorite. I was in school at the time and was in attendance.

It was the first game after completion of the east upper deck. It was also Shaun Alexander's first game as the primary back in the offense and he set the school record at the time for most TDs in a game with 5.

I have a famed picture of the opening kick-off from this game that hangs over the desk in my home office.
I was at that game as well. Sat in what was the new upper deck at the time on the east side of the stadium and had a great view of the game.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
1985 Georgia. It was played on Labor Day Monday night and that didn't happen back then like it does now. ABC used it as basically their first Monday Night Football game as NFL hadn't begun. Keith and Frank. Tide goes 80 yards for a TD after giving up the lead on a blocked punt with 50 seconds left.
Mine, too. I was at that game and got so mad at Ray Perkins that I stormed down from the Upper Deck after the blocked kick...heard the roar as I was leaving and walked over to see that UA had scored...cured me from ever leaving early....at least any close game.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
let's spread this out a bit. Maybe we can say it was 1945 because we opened with a 21-0 victory against Keesler Air Force Base, Playing before 15,000 military personnel and the opening to an undefeated season.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I never get excited for an opener anymore.

I made that mistake once.....it was called the 2000 UCLA game.......never again....

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Definitely the 2008 Clemson game, We had no reasonable expectation of victory. I think we were ranked in the 40's and they were a top 10 team. My wife and I had 50 yard line tickets. And specifically there was a play early in the game where Mt Cody busted a block and absolutely demolished CJ Spiller with this loud crunching noise. The Bama fans went nuts as if the angst of 10 years of suck had finally been vexed from the Crimson Nation. Clemson never recovered from that play until the second half but by then it was too late.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.