Guestimate National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 23
  1. #1
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,281

    National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...

    I think we have seen The SEC in decline - is the league on an ascension, decline, or a plat

    Here are games of interest - how will The SEC teams do?

    Fla vs Michigan - scUM is a 4 pt favorite

    UGA -14 vs APP ST - Appy a really good program who should have started last year with a win over tennessee

    Kentucky -10 @ Southern Miss, who won this game last year

    South Carolina vs NC State @ -6, some think State could be a real darkhorse in the ACC

    tennessee -4 vs Ga Tech in Atlanta

    Vandy -5 1/2 AT Middle Tennessee, some thought that this may be the best team in school history

    LSU -13 vs BYU

    Texas A&M @ UCLA -3 1/2

    UGA @ Notre Dame

    auburn @ Clemson

    Alabama -7 vs FSU

    11 games that will in large part shape national perception of the entire league for the entire season. How will The SEC fare, and what will the National Narrative be?
    Last edited by PitMaster; August 23rd, 2017 at 11:18 AM.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #2
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    12,699

    Re: National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...

    Not to sound "snarky", perception is not necessarily reality, so I really do not care what other people think about the SEC. You win or lose then play the next game, just that simple.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

  4. #3
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,281
    Thread Starter

    Re: National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...

    Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Not to sound "snarky", perception is not necessarily reality, so I really do not care what other people think about the SEC. You win or lose then play the next game, just that simple.
    Perception becomes reality perhaps, at years end, if SEC SOS ends up adversely affecting Playoff candidates

    And it appears no one else cares either - maybe I should have introduced lisa anne
    Last edited by PitMaster; August 23rd, 2017 at 07:04 PM.

  5. #4
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Boaz, AL USA
    Posts
    9,197

    Re: National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...

    In national recruiting the SEC has SEVEN of the top twelve teams averaged over five years. That makes me believe the talent is there for SEC domination and the past couple of year have been coaching changes and just plain bad injury luck. We will see if the HC problem has been corrected. Coach Ogre? Blotch Jones? Sumlin? Boom Boom? We shall see.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

  6. #5
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Guestimate National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...

    I only care about one team in the SEC and one team in the B1G. If we both win our games, we will both be in the playoff again, no matter what else happens in our conferences.

    If you are Alabama and OSU right now, it really is very simple. Win and perceived conference strength doesn't matter. Fail to win and it really doesn't matter. So, when does it matter?

  7. #6

    Re: Guestimate National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...

    I really only care about one SEC team (Bama). I suspect that if the SEC loses a few of those games then the ESPN folks will pile on though. I could see Florida, A&M, South Carolina and maybe AU going down.
    Bama 918-318-44 73.4% On the field

    26 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS

  8. #7
    BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    4,028

    Re: Guestimate National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I only care about one team in the SEC and one team in the B1G. If we both win our games, we will both be in the playoff again, no matter what else happens in our conferences.

    If you are Alabama and OSU right now, it really is very simple. Win and perceived conference strength doesn't matter. Fail to win and it really doesn't matter. So, when does it matter?
    Exactly. I'll start caring about the SEC when the SEC starts caring about Bama . Hope no one holds their breath until either happens.

  9. #8
    BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    4,028

    Re: Guestimate National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...

    Winners in bold. Not picking ATS.

    how will The SEC teams do?

    Fla vs Michigan - scUM is a 4 pt favorite

    UGA -14 vs APP ST - Appy a really good program who should have started last year with a win over tennessee

    Kentucky -10 @ Southern Miss, who won this game last year

    South Carolina vs NC State @ -6, some think State could be a real darkhorse in the ACC

    tennessee -4 vs Ga Tech in Atlanta

    Vandy -5 1/2 AT Middle Tennessee, some thought that this may be the best team in school history

    LSU -13 vs BYU

    Texas A&M @ UCLA -3 1/2

    UGA @ Notre Dame

    auburn @ Clemson

    Alabama -7 vs FSU

  10. #9
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Hooterville, Vir.
    Posts
    14,017

    Re: Guestimate National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...

    Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    Winners in bold. Not picking ATS.

    how will The SEC teams do?

    Fla vs Michigan - scUM is a 4 pt favorite

    UGA -14 vs APP ST - Appy a really good program who should have started last year with a win over tennessee

    Kentucky -10 @ Southern Miss, who won this game last year

    South Carolina vs NC State @ -6, some think State could be a real darkhorse in the ACC

    tennessee -4 vs Ga Tech in Atlanta

    Vandy -5 1/2 AT Middle Tennessee, some thought that this may be the best team in school history

    LSU -13 vs BYU

    Texas A&M @ UCLA -3 1/2

    UGA @ Notre Dame

    auburn @ Clemson

    Alabama -7 vs FSU
    I only disagree with you on Tennessee-Ga Tech.
    Ga Tech running that screwy offensive feasts on opponents that have only one week to prepare. Ga Tech is less impressive against teams with two weeks or more to prepare.
    Thus, I think Tennessee gets them.
    There will be an upset or two but I bet the SEC splits those, dropping one they should win and winning they should lose.

  11. #10
    BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Hoover
    Posts
    2,260

    Re: National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...

    I'm an eternal optimist but frankly I think we go 50/50 at BEST. I think UF fails miserably against the Wolverines (again), UGA does not beat the line against Appy may even fall, UK does not beat the line if they even win, State takes out the Cocks, UT loses to Tech, Vandy struggles bigtime with MTSU, BYU is sound and will give the whos all they want could even be a loss, UCLA beats the line against TAMU, UGA falls to the Domers, Auburn and Clemson both struggle to score and the game could go either way and Bama, well, we will dominate the noles by midway through the 3rd.

    Quote Originally Posted by PitMaster View Post
    I think we have seen The SEC in decline - is the league on an ascension, decline, or a plat

    Here are games of interest - how will The SEC teams do?

    Fla vs Michigan - scUM is a 4 pt favorite

    UGA -14 vs APP ST - Appy a really good program who should have started last year with a win over tennessee

    Kentucky -10 @ Southern Miss, who won this game last year

    South Carolina vs NC State @ -6, some think State could be a real darkhorse in the ACC

    tennessee -4 vs Ga Tech in Atlanta

    Vandy -5 1/2 AT Middle Tennessee, some thought that this may be the best team in school history

    LSU -13 vs BYU

    Texas A&M @ UCLA -3 1/2

    UGA @ Notre Dame

    auburn @ Clemson

    Alabama -7 vs FSU

    11 games that will in large part shape national perception of the entire league for the entire season. How will The SEC fare, and what will the National Narrative be?
    Last edited by CoolBreeze; August 24th, 2017 at 04:30 PM.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

    Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

  12. #11

    Re: National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...

    Fla vs Michigan - I thought UF would win until the suspensions came into play

    UGA -14 vs APP ST Can go either way. UGA should handle them but App State is more than skilled to beat them

    Kentucky -10 @ Southern Miss

    South Carolina vs NC State

    tennessee -4 vs Ga Tech in Atlanta I think GT wins big

    Vandy -5 1/2 AT Middle Tennessee

    LSU -13 vs BYU

    Texas A&M @ UCLA

    UGA @ Notre Dame

    auburn @ Clemson

    The national pundents will talk about the strength of the SEC or lack thereof if it goes similar to what I envision. Its a great out of conference schedule for the SEC to play though. Looking forward to seeing how these games go.
    Last edited by BAMAVILLE; August 24th, 2017 at 05:21 PM.

  13. #12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    6,434

    Re: Guestimate National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...

    1) I really could care less if the SEC went 1-13 as long as Bama is the 1 win.

    2) It really doesn't matter about the perception of the conference as long as Bama does their job.

    3) for those picking Florida... UF is going to be without 7 players to include their biggest playmaker on offense. Unless Zaire is the real deal I see Michigan and Harbaugh beating them by 10.

  14. #13
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,281
    Thread Starter

    Re: Guestimate National Perception of The SEC after Weeks 1 and 2...

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    1) I really could care less if the SEC went 1-13 as long as Bama is the 1 win.

    2) It really doesn't matter about the perception of the conference as long as Bama does their job.

    3) for those picking Florida... UF is going to be without 7 players to include their biggest playmaker on offense. Unless Zaire is the real deal I see Michigan and Harbaugh beating them by 10.
    I think this type view is a little short-sighted.

    Face it, Bama is not going to win every game every year. Therefore UA does benefit if the SEC is perceived to be the best conference

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!