Question: Is Da'Ron Payne Poised to be the best DL under Saban?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Wasn't sure if a new thread was really appropriate for this but couldn't find a related one. This (click here) article on NFL.com had an interesting section on Da'Ron Payne. Here is the blurb on him...

Alabama DT Da'Ron Payne

Speaking of Alabama, Payne is the Crimson Tide player generating the most excitement with NFL evaluators. Every scout I talked to said Payne was the best interior defensive lineman they've scouted during the Nick Saban era in Tuscaloosa. That is some strong praise. He has the power and quickness to dominate against both the run and pass. I expect his production to shoot way up this fall.
I think we all assume Payne is going to make more plays this year since he is the guy this year but calling him the best under Saban is big. That means better than Dareus, Reed, Robinson, Allen, etc.

Curious about what you all think. Is Payne the best DL we have had under Saban? What kind of production do you expect from him this year?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I doubt he'll have a statistically amazing season. He's not really and Allen or Dareus type. He's more of a Jesse Williams or A'shawn Robinson type. He could be instrumental to the defense but not exactly put up Allen or Dareus numbers.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He could be the best DL we've had under Saban while not racking up highlight stats. NFL scouts know what to look for, and if he's consistently pushing the middle of the line to the point that he's affecting the offense, he'll be very desirable even if he's not making tackles...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I doubt he'll have a statistically amazing season. He's not really and Allen or Dareus type. He's more of a Jesse Williams or A'shawn Robinson type. He could be instrumental to the defense but not exactly put up Allen or Dareus numbers.
We'll see about those comparisons. His tackle stats thus far are a mix between the two pairings. He may not get the number of sacks Allen and Dareus got, but that's more to him playing more inside.

His absurd combination of strength and speed is what will have NFL scouts drooling.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Scouts love him - follow various drafts reporters on twitter and you'll see his highlights often.

Cole Cubelic has raved about him - lot of his film pops up on Cole's feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
On the DL, consistent disruption is more important to the NFL scouts than the occasional sack. If Payne can provide consistent disruption in the same way other DT's that have come through Saban's system. Then I think we'll see another dominating defense that can put us in the playoffs. Because he will free up other players by forcing more one on one matchups across the DL.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We'll see about those comparisons. His tackle stats thus far are a mix between the two pairings. He may not get the number of sacks Allen and Dareus got, but that's more to him playing more inside.

His absurd combination of strength and speed is what will have NFL scouts drooling.
I think he could go down as the absolute best of the exclusively interior DL body types we've had here. Of course, we could be spectators to a Suh '09 type interior DL season. In that case he may dwarf them all!

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
What I remembered about Payne was that he was often criticized for taking off plays in high school despite his 5 star rating.
there were questions regarding his work ethics and such. but once he committed to Alabama, I knew Saban and staff weren't going to put up with that type of attitude and complacency. now here we are, Mr. Payne could be a Top 10 in the upcoming draft.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I sure hope so. If he can command a double team on most downs, which he has the potential to do, the rest of this year's defensive front 7 are going to be very very difficult to deal with.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Odd front defenses usually don't ask for their DL to be dominant pass rushers but I think most in this scheme have their best defenses when one front guy is a mismatch in the pass protection game despite really being a double team eater. Not always but when I look to the NFL and some of our best defenses, that strong-side DE in the 34 having pass rush ability changes things dramatically.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
He could be the best DL we've had under Saban while not racking up highlight stats. NFL scouts know what to look for, and if he's consistently pushing the middle of the line to the point that he's affecting the offense, he'll be very desirable even if he's not making tackles...
If he does his job in the middle the LB's should clean up on making tackles.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
To be the best DL we have had under Saban both as a Pro prospect and as a college player he HAS to produce more in the sack category. I know Saban's whole thing about its not just about Sacks and he is 100% right. But that doesn't mean sacks don't matter. He should get his chance to put up bigger numbers this year though. I'm not saying he needs 10+ but he needs to get around 5+ IMO to really be considered one of the best under Saban. In the modern day NFL you have to rush the passer as a DL or you will play pretty limited snaps.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.