Memphis Orpheum will no longer show "Gone with the Wind"

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm guessing their annual showing of Blazing Saddles is also over...
I recently asked a black friend of mine who lived through that time frame what he thought of "Blazing Saddles" the first time he ever saw it.

He said it was the funniest damned thing he'd ever seen in his life.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Richard Wagner needs to get the axe as well.
Related story: there's a medical condition that was known for many decades as "Wegener's granulomatosis." It describes a particular kind of inflammation within the walls of blood vessels, and has various effects throughout the body. In 2006, it came to light that Wegener was affiliated with the Nazi regime during their occupation of Poland and his name had been forwarded to the UN War Crimes Commission. Given widespread questioning of his professional conduct, the illness was immediately renamed "granulomatosis with polyangiitis," and reference to his name was struck from medical texts.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Never watched that movie all the through. I know how it ends. Sorta like the Clemson game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I have to say I thought it was a dumb movie. OTOH, my SIL (from Oxford, MS) has seen it countless times. And believes it...
I didn't care for the movie, either, and I was forced to watch it in the eighth grade.....but it beat actually having history class for a few days (though I liked history and would have preferred no math or something else)

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Related story: there's a medical condition that was known for many decades as "Wegener's granulomatosis." It describes a particular kind of inflammation within the walls of blood vessels, and has various effects throughout the body. In 2006, it came to light that Wegener was affiliated with the Nazi regime during their occupation of Poland and his name had been forwarded to the UN War Crimes Commission. Given widespread questioning of his professional conduct, the illness was immediately renamed "granulomatosis with polyangiitis," and reference to his name was struck from medical texts.
If we are going to be consistent, instead of just renaming the disease we should eradicate...wait...my point will come to me in a second.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I didn't care for the movie, either, and I was forced to watch it in the eighth grade.....but it beat actually having history class for a few days (though I liked history and would have preferred no math or gwsomething else)
We were Freshman in highschool, the entire freshman class was bused the Gateway Rocking Chair Theater in Decatur to watch GWTW. Needless to say that is my favorite part of the movie.

Oh and the best thing to come from Memphis is the ribs from Rendezvous.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
that was much better, imho
Mine, too, although I wonder if Gary Cooper, who was offered the gig of Rhett in the original before Gable got it....wonder if he ever regretted it, as he predicted it would be a colossal flop....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The first time I saw part of GWTW was February 11, 1979 (the other networks were running "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," which is NOT about the Trump administration, and the Kurt Russell "Elvis" movie).

My parents talked me into watching it and told me they were going to burn Atlanta. Remember, I'm nine years old. So I sit down watching this and the first night they get to the part where they burn Atlanta.......I was so disappointed to not see whatever stadium the Braves must have used BEFORE they were in Fulton County Stadium since it obviously would have been burned down...(I told you....I was nine).

I didn't tune in for the rest of it, either, I was so disappointed.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I have seen bits and pieces of it but never from start to finish. I couldn't even give you a decent plot summary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.