Memphis Orpheum will no longer show "Gone with the Wind"

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
i should have used blue font. margaret mitchell is an atlanta/georgia icon of sorts.
It's okay. Usually I can tell when you're being serious (as in not ever, just kidding), but given the context I thought it was more of a swipe.

My bad, I will now go cry in my beer.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Censorship is a despicable thing. If you don't like it, don't watch it. If you don't like it, don't read it.
It's not a difficult concept.
I would point out that this is a case of self-censorship, not being imposed from above. It's really market-driven, so I don't really have a problem with it...

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Watching and studying this movie was a large part of my degree, unfortunately. The most interesting fact about or connected to this film is that, adjusted for inflation, it is still the highest grossing movie of all time. (Suck on that Cameron, you narcissistic jerk.)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Watching and studying this movie was a large part of my degree, unfortunately. The most interesting fact about or connected to this film is that, adjusted for inflation, it is still the highest grossing movie of all time. (Suck on that Cameron, you narcissistic jerk.)
What a nightmare! Sentenced to watch GWTW over and over, semester after semester... :(

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
What a nightmare! Sentenced to watch GWTW over and over, semester after semester... :(
lol. It was the most 1st world problem of ALL time. And what horror, Citizen Kane AGAIN!?!

Truthfully watching early films like "Birth of a Nation" and "Battleship Potemkin" are unsettlingly close to torture.
But I actually really enjoyed others like "Sunrise" and "Nosferatu" and "Metropolis" - but even those were far advanced from the 2 previous listings.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Any theater in Memphis that wishes to show it can do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I think you could make an argument in today's time Margret Mitchell was a racist. To label her as such doesn't do her justice. While she openly felt she shouldn't have to go to college with black folks she discretely gave a great deal of money to Morehouse college to help educate black professionals.
Many people are more complex than to just attach a label one way or the other.

Hollywood has stereotyped minorities forever. The typical racists in movies speak southern and wave confederate flags. Blacks spoke broken English and were the criminals.

The media in general seems to love the outlier. It's called click bait for a reason.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've always been puzzled as to why it is that folks STILL wish to impugn the South for something that happened 150 years ago and yet long after Southern schools were integrated, South Roxbury schools in Boston were having all kinds of issues and STILL have essentially segregated schools in JFK's old stomping grounds.

The South was wrong and had a bunch of racial problems and still does. We'll eventually get it all right. But Boston is often called by many minorities (including celebrities) the "most racist city in the USA" even today.

Yet it's supposedly this mecca of tolerant liberalism (in theory anyway) where everyone accepts and loves everyone.

Interestingly enough, the Red Sorks owner is now talking about changing the name of Yawkey Way because the old Sorks owner was (gasp!) a racist!!!

The TRUTH is that the south advanced beyond much of the north in race relations years ago BECAUSE of what our area went through "together."

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
I would point out that this is a case of self-censorship, not being imposed from above. It's really market-driven, so I don't really have a problem with it...
Adding the word "self" to it doesn't make it any less ridiculous (I'm sure there's some sort of humor in there given your last name :D ). Let's not pretend that there's not an ulterior motive at play. They had "a few inquiries from patrons" and decided to not only pull it, but make a show of announcing the pulling of it. If there were not a goal of trying to influence others at play, they could've just pulled it, not added it to their playlist next year, and put up a sign or added a small note to their webpage when more than "a few" (I'm sure) patrons next year complained about it not being shown. Instead, it's an announcement that has made national headlines which now has the ability to gain momentum. And momentum added to the suppression/censorship of that which hurts someone's feelings or makes them feel some kind of way is, in my opinion, a dangerous thing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.