McElwain Announces More Suspensions for Florida

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I really like coach Mac. This is scary stuff. Some "clever" guys think the've found a loophole that'll never get discovered. After a while, they're able to convince more and more players to jump on the gravy train. Then it all comes crashing down. Florida may be playing a LOT of walk-ons when the dust settles on this. Hopefully, this is everything but I don't think we've seen the end of this. Drip, drip, drip...

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
I don't give a damn about Harbaugh, Michigan, ESPN or the SEC, Coach McIlwain, IMO is doing the right thing for his team. You play by the rules or you go home. I am tired of all these egotistical players who don't give a damn about their teammates, coaches and the school that is paying their college education. This applies to all schools not just Florida. Two thumbs up for Coach Mac win or lose.
You do realize he has basically no say in this matter, right?

Some are calling him Pope Urban II due to the apparent lack of control within this program - did he jump the shark the first 2 years?:cool:

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I remember Coach Richt put up with Georgia not giving him complete control. It's your ..., as a coach, on the line. I believe Richt has everything he wants at Miami. If there are problems, it'll all be on him.

Coach Mac may have put up with some interference up til now. He better get a handle on this ship or he'll be done at Florida and made the scapegoat, to boot.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This is going to be interesting.

If it's just misuse of school funds (like our own textbook problem from 2007), it might be technically illegal, but is more an NCAA / school issue.

If it's no-foolin' credit card fraud, and it extends to multiple individuals, that's defrauding a federally-insured financial institution, and maybe conspiracy to do that, on top of the act itself.

It's up to the US Attorney to decide whether to prosecute, and that's usually a function of the dollars involved, though profile of the case does sometimes figure in.

So depending, depending, this could range from no effective legal problem, to no-kidding felony charges, with the possibility of life-altering prison time.

Here's what I don't know: what's a typical major university's policy on such for students that aren't on scholarship, and just part of the general student body?

In other words, what assurances do you have that your son or daughter won't be sharing a classroom with a classmate under indictment for a felony? Does that change if the indictment is for a violent offense?

I don't know the answers, but I am deadly curious.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
"Snitches"??

Seriously??

Maybe they were just tired of seeing the team compromised by guys breaking rules and putting themselves first?

Think you should retract that line - but that quick response answers some questions I have been harboring about you and your posts
C'mon Pit.....got some great games coming up. No need for any friction at this juncture. Let's keep the vibe on the up and up! Cheers! :)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Appears to be related to the other guys and the possible card fraud.
Correct and this is why this is an "NCAA suspension" - not one that Mac had any say so in. And why the players are being suspended from ANY activities until restitution is made...plus whatever else is asked of them.

I think this will help Florida avoid any possible vacated wins, should affected players play.

What an embarrassment though....so many people hurt by this.

The only positive is the opportunities for other players to play, who wouldn't otherwise. I'm excited for those players.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
C'mon Pit.....got some great games coming up. No need for any friction at this juncture. Let's keep the vibe on the up and up! Cheers! :)
I hate scUM so I am pulling for you guys

And I think if players reported that stuff, they should be commended, not ridiculed

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I really like coach Mac. This is scary stuff. Some "clever" guys think the've found a loophole that'll never get discovered. After a while, they're able to convince more and more players to jump on the gravy train. Then it all comes crashing down. Florida may be playing a LOT of walk-ons when the dust settles on this. Hopefully, this is everything but I don't think we've seen the end of this. Drip, drip, drip...
You generally hope that the players realize they are jeopardizing a lot by doing stuff like this, but as we discovered back in '07, some folks will take advantage of a situation regardless of ethics...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If it's no-foolin' credit card fraud, and it extends to multiple individuals, that's defrauding a federally-insured financial institution, and maybe conspiracy to do that, on top of the act itself.

It's up to the US Attorney to decide whether to prosecute, and that's usually a function of the dollars involved, though profile of the case does sometimes figure in.

So depending, depending, this could range from no effective legal problem, to no-kidding felony charges, with the possibility of life-altering prison time.
A Gator graduate friend of mine who's family plugged in says that several players were close to $50k in fraudulent charges. We'll see how accurate his info is based on where this goes, but if the numbers he relayed are anywhere close to correct, this won't be swept under the rug...

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
A Gator graduate friend of mine who's family plugged in says that several players were close to $50k in fraudulent charges. We'll see how accurate his info is based on where this goes, but if the numbers he relayed are anywhere close to correct, this won't be swept under tohe rug...
:eek::eek::eek:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
A Gator graduate friend of mine who's family plugged in says that several players were close to $50k in fraudulent charges. We'll see how accurate his info is based on where this goes, but if the numbers he relayed are anywhere close to correct, this won't be swept under the rug...
Wow...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I hope that this is not true for the sake of the young men involved. You don't come back from that kind of felony fraud charge.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.