McElwain Announces More Suspensions for Florida

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I see they repaid the money back in full. Wonder if it'll play a role in them getting off easy. I doubt it.
I'm no expert on the law but a couple forum members are saying they will plead these down to misdemeanor level.

I don't care if any of them return to our program, unless our staff feels they can be salvaged....next man up I say...unfortunately.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm no expert on the law but a couple forum members are saying they will plead these down to misdemeanor level.

I don't care if any of them return to our program, unless our staff feels they can be salvaged....next man up I say...unfortunately.
I agree - assuming this is a first offense for these guys, their legal consequences should be minor as the charges will likely be greatly reduced. But I don't know how a school would allow any student that commits fraud against the institution itself could keep them. I suspect that they will have to pick up their football careers elsewhere.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
I agree - assuming this is a first offense for these guys, their legal consequences should be minor as the charges will likely be greatly reduced. But I don't know how a school would allow any student that commits fraud against the institution itself could keep them. I suspect that they will have to pick up their football careers elsewhere.
I know this at least 2 suspensions for Calloway, not sure about the others

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Why pour gasoline on the situation when you can sew salt in the field and nuke the football program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like he was lying to the GF, saying the $$ was coming from an agent instead of admitting that he was stealing.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Breakdown of purchases made by UF football players at University bookstore:

Antonio Callaway - Apple MacBook Pro, Beats Solo 3 Wireless Headphones. Total money spent $2,022.44
Jordan Scarlett - Apple MacBook Pro, Beats Solo 3 Wireless Headphones. Total money spent $1,809.44
James Houston IV - Apple iPad. Total money spent $424.94
Keivonnis Davis - Apple MacBook Pro, Beats Solo 3 Wireless Headphones, BoomStream Mini Bluetooth Speaker. Total money spent $1,330.20

A few others but you get the point..

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Sounds like he was lying to the GF, saying the $$ was coming from an agent instead of admitting that he was stealing.
Player to his girlfriend: "No, no. It's not money I stole from the University which is already giving me free tuition, room and board. I got this money selling nuclear secrets to the North Koreans, so, you know, I'm good."

Oh, my ...

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Not sure how to look at this situation as it pertains to Coach McElwain. I hope the players didn't see him as the type of players coach they could run over.

Sometimes you need to be able to frighten your players into doing the right thing. It's hard to kick great players off the team but you absolutely must have their respect. Good senior leadership is a must. It's one thing Saban is good at.

It help if your alpha dogs have enough character and respect for their coach to help police themselves.

If McElwain is showing no amount of talent will allow you to act like a thug, I'm all in for him. But he has been there a couple of years now, and this situation is now almost out of control looking at it from a distance.

Saban had some of this he addressed, and a knucklehead shows up every year.

Florida is a team the SEC needs to be strong. We'll just have to see how this works out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.