Threads of Delusion From TideFans Past (Do NOT Bump Threads Up!!!)

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Saw quite a few members who no longer post on here for whatever reason. Would be nice to find out what happened to them and even if they are still among the living. That would be a good project for you, Bill. :cool2:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Maybe you should sleep in, a bit longer, so that you will not post in your sleep. :biggrin2:

Speaking of which.............just got up, from my first nap.

"OK, grandpa, enough of your jabbering. Time for another nap."

Not quite..............need to eat lunch first, and then maybe............

BTW, with some of those predictions, it is best some of them continue to hide.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is from the oldest "Saban to Alabama" thread I can find......interesting.......

one word of caution: He'll bring his ego with him, and I'd be concerned that he'll take it with him when he leaves in 3-4 years for "bigger and better".

I am not expert but I think believing that we are going to get Saban is just ludicrous. First off I do not think he will leave Miami and second I doubt seriously he wants to coach in the SEC. If a coaching change is made it will most likely be someone from a non-BCS school
Sorry to disagree with you, but I live in the South Florida media market and in my opinion, he will not be available. The Dolphins are going to stick with him because it looks like things are starting to turn in Miami.

RTR

And then it appears Jack was a little drunk since 2006 wasn't Saban's FIRST season with Miami.....

Only a complete fool would quit in the middle of his first season in the NFL as HC. It would be one thing if he was stinking it up as a coach, but Miami's problems are obviously personnel-based, so there's no way he's being "run off" as it were. Not to mention, even if he were being forced out, he would never give up the $ and just kindly walk away.

Forget about Saban, won't happen.

to answer the thread question.... YES... we have as much of a chance of landing Saban as having Gottfried coaching the football team... :biggrin2:

This next one is full of pure gold......

I think that it's absolutely ludicrous that Saban is even being mentioned as a possibility as a head coach. Even if he wasn't coaching the Dolphins right now, I'd still find it hard to believe that he'd leave "retirement" in order to coach at Alabama, especially after when he left LSU. In fact, I'm sure that he would still be at LSU right now if he hadn't left for the NFL. Also, if somehow some way Saban coaches at Alabama, he'll most likely leave after 3 years, unless he finds total happiness coaching at Alabama, much like how Pete Carroll has enjoying coaching at USC or Mack Brown coaching at Texas.

I'm not saying that he's a bad coach, but I want to see REALISTIC coaching candidates, not some random coach that was awesome in college and is coaching in the NFL right now. Furthermore, I don't think that Shula will leave this offseason. He will be given one more season to prove himself with the recruits that he has. If things are sub-par or fall apart after 2007, then I think he will either resign or be fired.

My coaching candidates (assuming Shula gets fired after 2007)? Pat Hill, coach at Fresno State; Steve Sarkisian, Lane Kiffin or Nick Holt at USC; maybe Bobby Petrino of Louisville; or Gene Chizik of Texas.
I think all of those coaches would consider Alabama as an attractive coaching opportunity now that we're no longer on probationary status.

Holy smokes........Chizik?????? (I'm sure the comeback would be, "but he won a national title!!!")

And now for the much admired and respected Gray Tide, exemplifying all of us with a few hits.....and a few misses

IMO there are college coaches and there are NFL coaches and the two do not, for the most part, have a lot in common. Although Saban did well at LSU he had only limited success at Michigan State. He is a professional coach at heart as evidenced by his leaving LSU for the Dolphins. I honestly cannot see him returning to college football unless it was to replace someone like Joe Paterno at Penn State. He is from the West Virginia - Pennsylvania area and would be an excellent fit at PSU. I think our experience with CMS should show us the NFL mindset does not necessarily work at the college level, although it has worked for Pete Carroll at USC who, like Shula was an NFL flop. I have no doubt that Saban would be successful at Alabama but at this point in his career, quite frankly taking the Alabama job would be a step down for him.

(Note: I will grant FULL absolution for anyone who ever said anything good about Joe Paterno. I did as well. But that's where the light of revelation has forced us all to alter our opinions)

I would add, as a friend says, "not just no, but he** no!!" to the original question about Saban. He carries way too much baggage. I don't know about the rest, but I've had my fill of nc2a sanctions. We're going to have to be very careful in the recruiting arena for several years to come.......just one of CMS's "plusses".
I agree with your assessment here. The only way CMS leaves, short term, is voluntarily.........which is still a possibility.

Methinks Blake is a closet Longhorn......

i just don't see how. he makes about 4 mil ayear and as much as i would like to think we have the best school in the universe, there is just no way we come up with that kind of cash. he would be the highest paid coach in college by a long shot

would be a great hire but i just can't see it

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The delusion is strong in this one...

I have been on Tidefans since 2000, I have always found level headed smart people here. I was the one who broke to the board (Being in Dallas) that Fran may be your next coach (It was on the radio here before it hit anything national)

But the fact Sabans name is even being tossed around is shocking, somewhat laughable

First off, Saban wanted the NFL, he is in the NFL. He is NOT coming back to College football, but lets say for a minute he would even consider it. Assuming hates actually does freeze over AND swines learn to fly. He is NOT coming back to the SEC, let alone the SEC west. I am not some clueless LSU fan who thinks Saban only loves LSU. Although he has said on many occasions his love of LSU (since he left)

IF (and there is no IF here but I will play along) he comes back to college its going to be somewhere up north, where he is from. I know all of us think our respective school is the dream job of every coach in football. But lets be honest both of us (LSU and Bama) have learned that is not the case in the recent hirings of football coaches. Plenty of people said thanks but no thanks to BOTH of us. Dont try to convince me Shule (Or Miles for that matter) where our schools first or even second choice. Not even close. But the fact is Saban makes millions in the NFL, he lives in Miami and he eventually wants to return to his native Virginia area. So IF he comes back see Penn State, VA tech or the likes.

With all that being said. Take Saban off the board here guys. He is NOT coming to Alabama or ANY sec school, or really any college. He may come back to LSU and be the AD if he ever choses to quit coaching in the NFL. Believe it or not he loves LSU, its people and he is a legend there. But i dont see that happening either, after his NFL days he retires.

My Opinion.
Shula is your coach next year. But heh I am an LSU fan and what do I know...
I'd say not much, TT......

Is this question asking who we want or who we think will actually be? No way in hell Nick Saban comes here. No way in hell Steve Spurrier comes here.
Well all righty then....

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I am starting to see a trend here. Posters don't come back after making incredible, complete idiots of themselves. Would rather run away instead of facing the music.
Now to be fair......if you look closely a LOT of them violated our family oriented rules around here and bolted.

I know a few - banjeaux, bayoutider, I Love 55 - have gone on to the afterlife (although I've not zinged any of them yet).

But notice most don't have an overly high count of postings here anyway.

It's one thing to me when someone says "I don't think X will happen." It's quite another to dogmatically declare that anyone who thinks X will happen is an idiot.

There's gems in there, too; I'm compiling a thread with links that will trace the time frame of Saban's hiring here and what it was like for the posters. That will take me a little bit (esp with season beginning) but rest assured it will be worth it.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Saw quite a few members who no longer post on here for whatever reason. Would be nice to find out what happened to them and even if they are still among the living. That would be a good project for you, Bill. :cool2:
Me too. Whatever happened to NYBamaFan? I saw suspended by his name and he hasn't been around forever.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Me too. Whatever happened to NYBamaFan? I saw suspended by his name and he hasn't been around forever.
If you could ask him, I'm sure he would tell you he ascended to heaven in a fiery chariot.

I don't know why he got tossed, but I'm sure it was because he violated the rules. I vaguely recall him, but I didn't have the interactions with him some others did.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Now to be fair......if you look closely a LOT of them violated our family oriented rules around here and bolted.

I know a few - banjeaux, bayoutider, I Love 55 - have gone on to the afterlife (although I've not zinged any of them yet).

But notice most don't have an overly high count of postings here anyway.

It's one thing to me when someone says "I don't think X will happen." It's quite another to dogmatically declare that anyone who thinks X will happen is an idiot.

There's gems in there, too; I'm compiling a thread with links that will trace the time frame of Saban's hiring here and what it was like for the posters. That will take me a little bit (esp with season beginning) but rest assured it will be worth it.
I guess my point about making an idiot of themselves was if I were to have said to all on here they were delusional for thinking we were going to hire Saban as a head coach I would feel like an idiot for saying it after it happened. I was not calling them out for making a prediction but the fact that they were calling out the ones who thought differently and correctly.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I guess my point about making an idiot of themselves was if I were to have said to all on here they were delusional for thinking we were going to hire Saban as a head coach I would feel like an idiot for saying it after it happened. I was not calling them out for making a prediction but the fact that they were calling out the ones who thought differently and correctly.
The thing concerning Saban is this....and I've been VERY careful here......but you had a few know-it-alls who went after (for example) Earle and JessN for their attempts at being voices of reason. Our connected folks CANNOT say something that gets out there - and it's 100 times worse now than it was in 2006. But you had bloviating misfits with Tidefans accounts who thought they could show what big people they were by saying, "Oh y'all don't know nothing."

But I reiterate - my purpose REALLY is amusement and NOT attack. I will even be zinging myself when I find a couple of things I remember saying.

The Saban hire - to me - AT THE TIME was the most precarious, frightening, and concerned I've been about our program in my nearly forty years following UA football. I was upset when I was living in West Germany and Ray Perkins came to town. I threw a profane fit as a senior in high school when we hired Bill Curry. I rolled my eyes at the hiring of that NFL loser Gene Stallings, who had been fired from every head coaching job he ever had (but he won me over). I would have made Mike Dubious go bungee jumping without a bungee if given the option. (Even his 99 SEC title didn't sway me).

I thought Franchione was a sleaze before he left; in fact, I always thought Fran - even more than Shula - was taking the ugly girl to the prom so you had a date after being turned down by all the cheerleaders on birth control. I had the misfortune of living among the Aggies and their arrogance, and I heard in October they had Fran locked up. I couldn't believe it. I thought Price was a disaster even before his fun date - in fact, I was actually happy that he got caught and canned. I as only for Shula over Croom because I figured whoever was getting fired in 2006 or 2007 - and didn't want the attacks of "you fired the black guy!" That was my only reason for picking Shula - the bad press when we had to fire whoever.

So Saban to my mind was the critical moment. He was and is the ONLY coach I wanted - and in the interest of honesty I will say again that while there are no threads (to my knowledge) of me blasting LSU for hiring Saban, I DID attack him as a bad hire when LSU got him, and I couldn't have been more wrong. Saban was hired before I began posting on boards (at LSU I mean) so there shouldn't be anything out there.

But my thought was - if you can win a national title in the BCS era at LSU, you can win more than one at Alabama. In my view, Saban fully paid his contract with the 2009 national title/Heisman/us finally beating Texas. Everything else since then has been bonus bucks. I was one of the most rabid in his corner at the time - quite frankly, I thought Spurrier was too old to come here, though I would have liked it.

More burns coming - even on me.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Meanwhile, this might be where the term snowflake originated.....

I hope it's not Saban...he has the personality of a piece of toast.
I'm gonna be charitable and admit we didn't use blue font in 2006 but....

We should hire Mike Leach.

Then again......maybe Dennis fRanchione did have an account here...

Turned out to be a smart move for francis, he is still employed has A&M improving to the point of beating Texas and giving his recruiting a shot in the arm. What a difference a few months make. At one time Coach Shula was in a much better position than fran, even with the sanctions.

Francis shouldn't have ran off in the middle of the night but he did save his career.

And then there's the typical representative of the delusional portion of the Tide fan base who thought our only problem was ON the field talent-wise...

This team should be on pace for a 10 win season next year. That is with Shula or w/o him.

If the new coach can't win 10 then we just fire him an get another one. We can just keep swapping coaches and let finebomb handle recruiting. He has the schools best interest in mind.

Of course, Trutide isn't singing a solo, either...

We should win the west next year and play in Atlanta. There will be no excuse other than a coach that can't get it done. All I've heard for three years is 07 is the year. We have enough numbers in the trenches finally, a QB with experience, receivers, running-backs......we will probably loose less seniors than any team in the SEC.

Some generals win the war on paper and then....when Clive points out we'll be lucky to win 7 games in 2007, he's set straight by MJ, who is not to be confused with a great b-ball player fwiw....

Ok your toss up games are embarrassing we have twice the talent of all of those schools, we had better win all three of those. I dont think Florida State is going to be much better (by the way not on the road, neutral field) and after tenn. loses some talent because they are seniors and losing meachem early to the NFL they wont be better, Georgia is losing people too. So i can show you at least 9 wins
I also surmise that perhaps Saban and Don Shula aren't near the friends that some folks like to pretend they know things about...

I don't think Saban would come; he is friends with Don Shula.

I sort of doubt it's Spurrier, but it is possible.

Stoops?

I'll forgive this dude for suggesting Gene Chizik should be the Alabama head coach...

N323P (Paul Bryant Jr's jet) has a flight plan filed for Austin, TX in about an hour.

Didn't Texas hire Auburn's DC a couple of years ago? Didn't that guy win a couple of assistant coaching awards?

Hmmmm

But that doesn't win the comedy award......the next two posts from the same guy do...

Spurrier will be announced on Tuesday. $3.2 M per year, 5 years.
I can't say who told me. But my source has not been wrong yet. Mark it down, Spurrier didn't want it announced until Tuesday so that his players could enjoy their win over Clemson.

Houndstooth visors will be the rage next year.

Well if you say so, buddy......but he might not be as connected as he wants you to think he was/is/shall be/hopes to be....

RTR!!!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think we know why Jack Bourbon hasn't posted here.....

Because they have good gigs.

If either Spurdog or Satan takes the job, I will walk away from tidefans.com for 1 year. And be thrilled about it.
Saban's got a great job. He'll look pretty foolish for leaving it. Probably better to move elsewhere.
But then again......

Spurrier nor Saban are coming here. Think about it deep and hard folks. Use your heads and lay off the kool-aid. And for those who have even mentioned the name Bob Stoops...c'mon. Saban left and SEC school that is/was in way better shape than Bama to take an NFL job making 5 million a year. So he's gonna quit and come back to an SEC school that is in worse shape than the one he left?

A dose of reality is needed here.

And then came an ego that wrote a check that his body must have cashed....

Credibility? For what, being absolutely wrong?

I challenge you to a loser leave town match (like the old days of NWA rasslin' with Gordon Solie out of Atlanta). If either of these two (Saban or SOS) are coaching the University of Alabama Crimson Tide come this spring I'll leave this board forever! If either one of them are NOT coaching then you leave the board.

I am joking about the loser leave town thing, but I'm serious about the following:

I would be totally disgusted if they hired Saban after he ripped our boobies off with his comments today.

I would be sorely disappointed in SOS if he came here after what he has said to the people of Carolina and his players.

Forget those two coaches, they ain't happening at this point in time.:BigA: :BigA: :BigA: :BigA:

And somebody.....has friends who gossip but don't seem to know how to get the details right...

Sorry I can't reveal my source at this time. I can say they are a pretty large contributer to the University and have a skybox on the 40 yard line in which their is usually some pretty prominate people from the university there during games. So I feel pretty confident that this has some legs to it. So just take it for what it is worth right now. I just wanted to pass this along.

Spurrier is almost a done deal. There are/were two hang-ups in the process. One is the contract length. CSS does not want to commit to 10 years. Second is the confict of Brother Oliver possibly coming back after leaving to go to AU. These have now been resolved. It will include the same amount of money over a 7 year contract, meaning about 4.2 million a year. The Oliver thing has also now been cleared. Look for press conference to be announced very soon.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.