Ole Miss: banana peel in tree seen as "racial threat"

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
pic of the offending nanner peel. The guy just happened to throw it in a tree because of no near by garbage can? I smell a rat.

Incident involving nanner peels at American University.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/03/...s-and-a-campus-erupts-in-protest.html?mcubz=1

The F.B.I. is helping American University in Washington, D.C., investigate an episode in which bananas were found hanging from nooses on campus this week, a spokeswoman for the agency said on Wednesday.

The bananas had short messages scrawled on them, including “AKA FREE,” an apparent reference to Alpha Kappa Alpha, a predominantly black sorority of which Taylor Dumpson, the new student body president, is a member; and “HARAMBE BAIT,” referencing the gorillaat the Cincinnati Zoo who was killed last May after a child fell into its enclosure.

does make the Ole Miss incident a little more meaningful.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
pic of the offending nanner peel. The guy just happened to throw it in a tree because of no near by garbage can? I smell a rat.

Incident involving nanner peels at American University.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/03/...s-and-a-campus-erupts-in-protest.html?mcubz=1

The F.B.I. is helping American University in Washington, D.C., investigate an episode in which bananas were found hanging from nooses on campus this week, a spokeswoman for the agency said on Wednesday.

The bananas had short messages scrawled on them, including “AKA FREE,” an apparent reference to Alpha Kappa Alpha, a predominantly black sorority of which Taylor Dumpson, the new student body president, is a member; and “HARAMBE BAIT,” referencing the gorillaat the Cincinnati Zoo who was killed last May after a child fell into its enclosure.

does make the Ole Miss incident a little more meaningful.
Not really

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I think both people being outraged and people outraged about others being outraged shows we as a country have managed to raise a bunch of snowflakes on both sides.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I think both people being outraged and people outraged about others being outraged shows we as a country have managed to raise a bunch of snowflakes on both sides.
I don't think people on the Right are outraged about this. Just laughing with a touch of incredulity.

But in many other scenarios you are dead on right. Outrage culture is not just a hallmark of the Left.

Not to derail this topic but I think it's used by both sides now more as a tactic rather than genuine vulnerability to uncomfortable circumstances. So I'd say there are very few "snowflakes" but many who would like to utilize the benefits of being a snowflake and being outraged and offended.

It is easier for me to see how the term "snowflake" and it's connotation began with the behavior of college students on some Liberal University campuses. Many people on both sides can agree they were/ are being a bit thin skinned.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
If Trump isn't president is this a story?
If Obama was still President when this happened? Absolutely. "The full force of the FBI will brought to determine who threw the banana peel in the tree."

We are quickly becoming like Europe...I read an article where a Swede was arrested for eating bacon near Muslim women.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I don't think people on the Right are outraged about this. Just laughing with a touch of incredulity.

But in many other scenarios you are dead on right. Outrage culture is not just a hallmark of the Left.

Not to derail this topic but I think it's used by both sides now more as a tactic rather than genuine vulnerability to uncomfortable circumstances. So I'd say there are very few "snowflakes" but many who would like to utilize the benefits of being a snowflake and being outraged and offended.

It is easier for me to see how the term "snowflake" and it's connotation began with the behavior of college students on some Liberal University campuses. Many people on both sides can agree they were/ are being a bit thin skinned.
I have no problem with people questioning the meaning of things, but I would also suggest that if a harmless explanation is offered, that in the absence of some compelling reason to disbelieve, the harmless explanation be accepted.
I think context is key.
A banana peel thrown into a tree in front of the Ole MIss AKA house on the anniversary of Medgar Evers' shooting by a student whose Facebook indicates he is a Klan member would mean one thing.
A banana peel thrown in a tree in front of a common shared house at Greek life retreat by a student with no history would probably mean something very different, and should be accepted as such.

I understand skepticism on the part of African-Americans. If you have not been to the Civil Rights Museum between Selma and Montgomery (and I recommend it to everyone), you will see how white folks said one thing but did something very different. The powers that be might say, "We are perfectly willing to accept voter registration from black voters," but when an African-American went to register, he was met with a series of clever ploys designed to thwart that registration. "Mr. Jones is the only person who handles these registration forms and he just went to lunch. Come back at 1:00." Then at 1:00 pm, the prospective registrant would be told, "Mr. Jones just went home sick for the day come back tomorrow." Then, "We only process those on Tuesdays. This is Wednesday, come back next week." Then, "Oops. We just ran out of forms. We'll get a new shipment in a couple of weeks. Come back then," etc. etc. What white folks said to black folks was one thing, but what they meant was something different, so I understand the skepticism.

That said, sometimes a banana is just a banana.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.