Ole Miss: banana peel in tree seen as "racial threat"

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Well, when your mascot has been Col. Reb, for darn near forever, and some folks manage to see things that are not there..................

When a banana peel, in a tree, is really just a discarded banana peel, that someone threw away

Students at the University of Mississippi — better known as "Ole Miss" — were forced to cancel a "Greek Life" retreat last weekend, after a discarded banana peel was found hanging in a tree on campus.

A student, Ryan Swanson, told the student newspaper, the Daily Mississippian, that he discarded the banana peel by throwing it into the tree when he couldn't find a garbage can.
Good things all of these snowflakes were not around when my cousin and I were in undergrad school. The places we left banana peels..................

(Yes, it was some sort of convoluted passive-aggressive protest against something. Most likely something to do with our classes..................or stuff.)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is good comedy congrats to those who annoyed the costas, land rovers, and trust funds crowd.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Ah yes, I remember in history class we learned about how the Klan used to throw banana peels into trees to harass people. But only in winter when wood was needed for indoor heating so burning crosses were frowned upon.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
OK, someone please explain this to me. A banana in a tree? Are we going to have to remove banana trees now? I don't get it :conf2:

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
So the list of dumb things that are now racist bit really aren't include: banana peels, rocking chairs at Cracker Barrel and menthol cigarettes. Am I missing anything? I mean, what random item is next?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
This has to be a joke.
I googled banana peel Ole Miss and didn't see any stories about this except in a bunch of right-leaning websites. Nothing on a mainstream site.

The incident supposedly happened at an off campus retreat, making it harder to verify. Some of the quotes came off as a little over the top as far as being outraged.

My BS detector is going off until I see some verification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I googled banana peel Ole Miss and didn't see any stories about this except in a bunch of right-leaning websites. Nothing on a mainstream site.

The incident supposedly happened at an off campus retreat, making it harder to verify. Some of the quotes came off as a little over the top as far as being outraged.

It came from the Ol' Spit online campus newspaper. Probably some sort of false flag, to divert from what the NZAA is going to do to them.

Campus Reform also has it.

Since UM officials were quoted, someone could Google if they exist.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Is the Daily Mississippian legit?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I still don't get it. What was considered racist? Did the peel make some sort of racist shape? Is there a racist banana joke out there somewhere?
“It was so strange and surreal to see it there,” McNeil said. “We were all just sort of paranoid for a second.” She said the image was especially disturbing in light of an incident on American University’s campus in May of this year. The morning Taylor Dumpson was to take over as the school’s first female black student government president, students found bananas hanging from nooses across campus. Some of the bananas were inscribed with references to Dumpson’s sorority, Alpha Kappa Alpha. “That, to me, was a slap in the face to see that banana hanging in a tree after talking about the personal truths of our campus,” McNeil said.
Freud said, "Sometimes a banana is just a banana."

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Sometimes a banana is just a banana, Anna" - John Belushi as Sigmund Freud to Laraine Newman as Anna Freud, Saturday Night Live 1975.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.