Game Thread: Hoosiers and Buckeyes....college football is back!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I won't comment yet on Ohio State's chances vs. Oklahoma, as we haven't seen the Sooners yet without Bob Stoops as HC.

I think it will be a good game, but it's at OSU and I think the Buckeyes are a good bit more talented than the Sooners and then we factor in Lincoln Riley as a first year HC. So we'll see.

OSU certainly finished strong last night after the wobbly start.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Congrats B1GTide on the win.

OSU did exactly what I thought they'd do; they wore down the inferior team. Bama does this all the time.

Good job IU for hanging in and I bet they'll upset a team or two in the B1G.

Looking forward to to OSU vs. OU next week.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Hurts is a much better athlete, without question. We really can't compare their passing right now. JT had an amazing 1st year as a starter throwing the ball. He has looked like he looked last night since. It is entirely possible that Herman's play calling and leadership had JT playing above his ability level. We will find out this season.
Agree with most of this except the Barrett and Hurts comparison - at least at this point in time. If Hurts doesn't improve as a passer then I'd agree with you that he'll be very comparable to Barrett. I may be wrong about this but I think Hurts is an overall better athlete than Barrett. IMO Hurts is an elite runner on designed QB runs and when he scrambles/improvises whereas Barrett is just sufficient enough to keep the defense honest..
To clarify, I don't mean they are the same exact player. They just have some similarities that I find interesting. If I were to guess about where Hurts would be his senior year it would look a lot like Barrett.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
To clarify, I don't mean they are the same exact player. They just have some similarities that I find interesting. If I were to guess about where Hurts would be his senior year it would look a lot like Barrett.
If that's the case I'd be disappointed. No disrespect to Barrett but he's regressed from a playmaker to a game manager. OSU basically has to call plays around his passing limitations and decision making. That's not a bad formula for a team as talented as OSU but if that's what Hurts turns into that means he's going to regress for the next 3 years. I'd hope that Hurts as a senior would be more Deshaun Watson than JT Barrett..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Maybe I"m just too much of a homer, but I saw a guy last night that isn't as good as Jalen Hurts.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Maybe I"m just too much of a homer, but I saw a guy last night that isn't as good as Jalen Hurts.
He's not as athletic/as talented as a runner (Jalen probably has a stronger arm too) but I expect Hurts to have limitations throughout his career when passing similar to JT. I could be completely wrong and I hope I am but that's what I'm expecting.

I don't know for sure who is better because we haven't seen Hurts this year.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
If that's the case I'd be disappointed. No disrespect to Barrett but he's regressed from a playmaker to a game manager. OSU basically has to call plays around his passing limitations and decision making. That's not a bad formula for a team as talented as OSU but if that's what Hurts turns into that means he's going to regress for the next 3 years. I'd hope that Hurts as a senior would be more Deshaun Watson than JT Barrett..
I think you are underrating Barrett a little. He's definitely limited but he's a higher end college QB. I would personally be shocked if Hurts is close to Watson than Barrett at the end of his career. Like I said above I hope I'm wrong but that's my guess at this point. It's why I'm somewhat nervous about the Tua situation not this year but a year or 2 from now.

Also, like others have pointed out. Hurts is bigger, stronger, probably faster and such.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think you are underrating Barrett a little. He's definitely limited but he's a higher end college QB. I would personally be shocked if Hurts is close to Watson than Barrett at the end of his career. Like I said above I hope I'm wrong but that's my guess at this point. It's why I'm somewhat nervous about the Tua situation not this year but a year or 2 from now.

Also, like others have pointed out. Hurts is bigger, stronger, probably faster and such.
Eh nevermind. We're just splitting hairs at this point..

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.