Utah Police Officer Arrests Nurse for Doing Her Job

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle gave you more backstory but didn't touch on the point that HIPAA does not keep police from releasing the name of a suspect and so would have no bearing on that whatsoever.

Also, since when is constitutionality of police action effected by how (un)sympathetic the suspect is? The problem here is that the police officer admitted he did NOT have probable cause for a warrant since he wanted blood from the victim. SCOTUS has ruled on the issue and the cop was 100% in the wrong.

If the patient had been suspected of a crime the officer would have had NO PROBLEM getting a warrant. None whatsoever. It would not have been an issue.

I'm glad the hospital will no longer subject their nurses to such abuses.

I hope this cop loses his badge, his money, and his freedom.
Thanks for bringing in the HIPPA angle. I'd meant to. From the posts above, I see I haven't gotten my point across. There was no reason to suspect the patient had anything to do with the wreck, other than just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. In that case probable cause does not exist to draw his blood nor would a judge have issued a warrant for such. If the judge had a sense of humor, he would have laughed. IOW, the whole attempt to obtain blood was illegal from the get-go. The detective knew that or should have and so did his supervisor. If they didn't know it, they were terribly, horribly negligent. It was a strong-arm attempt, pure and simple...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Thanks for bringing in the HIPPA angle. I'd meant to. From the posts above, I see I haven't gotten my point across. There was no reason to suspect the patient had anything to do with the wreck, other than just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. In that case probable cause does not exist to draw his blood nor would a judge have issued a warrant for such. If the judge had a sense of humor, he would have laughed. IOW, the whole attempt to obtain blood was illegal from the get-go. The detective knew that or should have and so did his supervisor. If they didn't know it, they were terribly, horribly negligent. It was a strong-arm attempt, pure and simple...
And the arrest was a tantrum that should cost him at least his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Begs the question: Is he just covering for himself/his own department or does this make it even worse for the bully police officer?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/06/us/salt-lake-officer-utah-nurse/index.html
I honestly think they're telling the truth. Even if he believed she was wrong, it gave him absolutely no legal grounds to arrest her. It doesn't begin to rise to obstruction of justice or interfering with an investigation to stand there and read the policy, which his department had agree to, to him. More likely he was just having a bad day and she caught the brunt of it. With judgment like his, he had no business keeping the EMT job, also, IMO...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.