It's 3am. And I can't sleep. Is Jalen ready?

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
Since spring, I've had it baked into my cake. "Jalen is ready." Jalen as evolved into a competent passer ... a true duel threat.

And it is upon this premise that a cool confidence has rested for several months. In my mind it has been a given.

But tonight, I've been tossing and turning, and new concerns desturb my sleep. And now I type this sitting in the darkness. Is Jalen ready?

Surely at this point, after complete fall practice, someone here knows the extent our young QB has progressed.

Is he ready?

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Ha ha ha, you can't sleep either. I think you can rest easy, I'm no expert by any means but I would think CD has him as ready as he can be. My question would be how many plays will it take for him to calm down and get in rhythm?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is what it is. I expect Alabama to win this game even if Jalen is no better that last year, but I expect him to be at least somewhat improved.

Roll Tide!!!

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
My guess is that Jalen slept like a log, last night.

As they say, he's as cool as the other side of the cucumber.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It is what it is. I expect Alabama to win this game even if Jalen is no better that last year, but I expect him to be at least somewhat improved.

Roll Tide!!!
Not sure of course, but that might be all he needs to be this year. Certainly hope that`s the case.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Since we hired CD I have thought what it would be like to see New England play against a really good college team. Tonight I think we will see a more simple version of that and as the game progresses and Jalen gets more comfortable we will see it become more complex. If we fire on all cylinders I believe CNS will allow CB to make a statement to the rest of college football. RTR

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
Not sure of course, but that might be all he needs to be this year. Certainly hope that`s the case.
I'm working from the assumption that FSU' s defense will be vastly improved and ours will have taken one step backwards, with less ability to pressure the QB. To me, that implies we will need to be able to run and pass the ball in order to be effective.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He played well enough to win the NC....

Not sure why everyone is scared.

Coach Saban has had 9 months to get over a tough loss to a Rhinestone Cowboy who out gunned him....

He doesn't lose games like this....

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Every time I see "duel threat", I picture someone walking around with a glove and slapping every random person, challenging them to duels.

And yes, Jalen is going to be fine.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Since we hired CD I have thought what it would be like to see New England play against a really good college team. Tonight I think we will see a more simple version of that and as the game progresses and Jalen gets more comfortable we will see it become more complex. If we fire on all cylinders I believe CNS will allow CB to make a statement to the rest of college football. RTR
CD is Coach Daboll

Who is CB?

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I'm working from the assumption that FSU' s defense will be vastly improved and ours will have taken one step backwards, with less ability to pressure the QB. To me, that implies we will need to be able to run and pass the ball in order to be effective.
I tend to agree. Also, I imagine their OL is improved from last year too--I bet they worked on that all summer if Jimbo is paying attention to detail like Saban does. Of course I hope their OL is not improved :) so that we can get to the QB easier. I know we will have a good DL, but it is the first game against a tough opponent.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If the defense had held Clemson in the last two minutes Jalen would be known as the SEC Offensive Player of the Year who made an incredible run to win the national championship for Bama as a true freshman.
Yes, Jalen is ready.
Are all the new starters on defense? That's the real question that has to be answered, but I have confidence that they are. We have a pretty darn good ball coach :)

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
If the defense had held Clemson in the last two minutes Jalen would be known as the SEC Offensive Player of the Year who made an incredible run to win the national championship for Bama as a true freshman.
Yes, Jalen is ready.
Are all the new starters on defense? That's the real question that has to be answered, but I have confidence that they are. We have a pretty darn good ball coach :)
With great respect...

That Bama defense was one of the best we ever had, and succumbed to being warn down by almost 100 plays. That D brutalized Clemson for much of the game, until fatigue set in

The entire scenario was driven by an offense that continuously suffered three and outs. And that offense was not balanced.

I'm not criticizing Jalen. But Jalen was not an effective passer in the last third of the season. And against the best team we played, we needed more. Against a great Clemson team, we needed a more effective passer to win.

If Jalen passes tonight like last year, and if, as I suspect, FSU is much improved and our D not so overwhelming, we will lose. That is the key to this game. If we have learned anything about college football in the last five years, it is that sometimes you must be able to score, and score a lot. And you CANNOT continually give the ball back to great teams.

And I might add that I think Jalen comes through big time and did wonders for a freshman last year.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Since spring, I've had it baked into my cake. "Jalen is ready." Jalen as evolved into a competent passer ... a true duel threat.

And it is upon this premise that a cool confidence has rested for several months. In my mind it has been a given.

But tonight, I've been tossing and turning, and new concerns desturb my sleep. And now I type this sitting in the darkness. Is Jalen ready?

Surely at this point, after complete fall practice, someone here knows the extent our young QB has progressed.

Is he ready?
I wonder how many of our players actually worry about this or if they just wake up excited and ready to conquer the next victim on Saturday. Based upon statements like " Alabama does" I doubt they worry much about the opponent.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
I wonder how many of our players actually worry about this or if they just wake up excited and ready to conquer the next victim on Saturday. Based upon statements like " Alabama does" I doubt they worry much about the opponent.
If the players worry about such things, the process has broken down and we're in trouble.

But it's ok for a fat old fart like me, who hasn't seen a football field in 35 years to worry.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
With great respect...

That Bama defense was one of the best we ever had, and succumbed to being warn down by almost 100 plays. That D brutalized Clemson for much of the game, until fatigue set in

The entire scenario was driven by an offense that continuously suffered three and outs. And that offense was not balanced.

I'm not criticizing Jalen. But Jalen was not an effective passer in the last third of the season. And against the best team we played, we needed more. Against a great Clemson team, we needed a more effective passer to win.

If Jalen passes tonight like last year, and if, as I suspect, FSU is much improved and our D not so overwhelming, we will lose. That is the key to this game. If we have learned anything about college football in the last five years, it is that sometimes you must be able to score, and score a lot. And you CANNOT continually give the ball back to great teams.

And I might add that I think Jalen comes through big time and did wonders for a freshman last year.
FWIW, I agree.

He's got to be better...not tremendously better...just better.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.