College football vs the NFL

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I didn't mean to imply the NFL is bad/meaningless football or not entertaining football or that bottom seed SB Champions didn't deserve the Title. But to me it's just not edge of your seat entertaining. The regular season games don't make me nervous.

I'm a Denver Broncos fan but if they lose a game it doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as Alabama losing. I know Denver can lose 6 times an still have a chance.....maybe 7 times. With Alabama 1 loss leaves NO room for error and 2 losses most likely means the SEC Title and a New Year's Day Bowl (which they won't take seriously) are the only things left.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
NFL is more about your favorite players. College is more about your favorite team because the turnover rate of players is much higher. Every game in the NFL doesnt matter in the big scheme. Every game in college does matter. You can win the SuperBowl with an 8-8 record. You cant even get to the CFP with 2 losses.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I didn't mean to imply the NFL is bad/meaningless football or not entertaining football or that bottom seed SB Champions didn't deserve the Title. But to me it's just not edge of your seat entertaining. The regular season games don't make me nervous.

I'm a Denver Broncos fan but if they lose a game it doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as Alabama losing. I know Denver can lose 6 times an still have a chance.....maybe 7 times. With Alabama 1 loss leaves NO room for error and 2 losses most likely means the SEC Title and a New Year's Day Bowl (which they won't take seriously) are the only things left.
Btw - I agree totally on that point.

I think the college game is MUCH better.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
Arguably more popular, and thus more relevant to the massses, pro football is Kayne West to college football's Mozart.

The the beauty and subtlety of the pearl of Motzart is cast before swine. And the grossness and infantility of West is lapped up pigswill.

College football has all the color and pageantry of 18th century warfare, complete with smartly dressed combatants, streaming banners, the rat a rat tat and majesty of the drum and bugle corps, the esteemed general grimly surveying the battle a top some nearby ridge, nervous damsels watching their champions ...

It's combatants are young and eager and filled with love for king and country, their school, as opposed to the jaded mercenaries of the NFL. They are defenders of a tradition and members of an eternal brotherhood, fighting for truth and beauty and love. Their joy, on victory, is sweet and pure, and transformative. The NFLers, on the other hand ... they fight for self, and their win is followed not by the kiss of a sweetheart or the phonecall to a proud mother, but rather, a call to an agent, and perhaps a late night of hookers and blow.

College and the NFL are most of all, a before and after. Before our jadedness and after. Before our cynicism and after. Before our greed and after. It is the sunny, breezy Saturday afternoons of youthful idealism, folliwed by the material, greedy, solitude of excess.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The best thing about college football is we know our team isn't going to move to another city or trade our best players for more cash flow.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
The best thing about college football is we know our team isn't going to move to another city or trade our best players for more cash flow.
The powers that be are changing the game for more cash flow. Some may like the direction it is headed, but most people I know do not like it. I've said it many times here before, so I'm sorry for those who are tired of hearing it, but if they would take care of the game, the money will always be there. If they take care of the money, they will kill the game, which is what is currently happening. I hope they wise up and save college football before it is too late. Otherwise, I fear the college game will soon be unwatchable like the NFL, in my opinion. (Yes, I know they still make plenty of money and have a lot of fans, but I can no longer watch it even though I grew up loving the Cowboys as much as the Tide.)

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Why do you have to pick? College is on Saturday and the NFL is on Sunday. I watch and love both..

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
You don't "have" to pick, per se. I have plenty of friends that watch both but others often laugh at me when I say the college game is better and they think college is a joke.

I have actually heard them say "College is the minor leagues, it's irrelevant". I simply can't understand this line of thinking.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
I love both but for different reasons. I love the atmosphere the college game brings. Nothing like it. The fanfare, tailgating etc.. On the other hand, i love the soap opera that the NFL brings along with the quality of play from the better teams. Nothing like seeing top unit and individual matchups at the highest level.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
College football is the best. Too much parity in the NFL. Sure, the New England Patriots are the exception but the other teams are all sort of ordinary, where they are good one season and mediocre the next. Too many NFL players only care about the money. If an NFL team loses a game the players just seem to shrug it off thinking oh well they get paid anyway, while in college if a team loses the players seem much more bothered by it. Also in college every game is important for the elite teams playoff chances while in the NFL a lot of games are meaningless once a team clinches their division.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
College football is the best. Too much parity in the NFL. Sure, the New England Patriots are the exception but the other teams are all sort of ordinary, where they are good one season and mediocre the next. Too many NFL players only care about the money. If an NFL team loses a game the players just seem to shrug it off thinking oh well they get paid anyway, while in college if a team loses the players seem much more bothered by it.
Because in college MOST losses either end your national title hopes, conference title hopes or - if you're Arkansas or Miss State - your Independence Bowl hopes.

Also in college every game is important for the elite teams playoff chances while in the NFL a lot of games are meaningless once a team clinches their division.
Counter argument:

2011 LSU-Alabama regular season game.

The winner got to play an extra game and the loser got rest.

Jay Hughes

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2008
Newnan, GA
As far as the experience goes, I prefer the College game experience to the NFL and it is not even close. As for the comfort goes, I prefer the seating in an NFL stadium vs the college stadiums. Please take into consideration that I am 6'7" and that makes a big difference.

If the NFL had live bands playing during the games, it would also make a huge difference to me. I personally believe it comes down to the difference in the atmosphere. 😎

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I like both for different reasons. The passion is there in the NFL but those of us in the SE (especially in AL) don't see it as much. As we grew up CFB fans before we were NFL fans or not NFL fans at all. For us the regional teams are the Saints, Titans, and Falcons. Not exactly great franchises (this is coming from a Titans fan).

As far as the game is concerned, the NFL is better football from an Xs/Os standpoint. The speed & talent of the NFL are ridiculous. Think about great players at Bama that didn't do much in the NFL. You can find a few under achievers in CFB who do well in the NFL but they're few. The precision of the scheme, especially offensively, is fun to watch (at least to me). You cant get by on talent alone, ask Trent Richardson.

Now, I enjoy CFB much more than I do NFL. Just giving a few reasons why I also like watching the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Why do you have to pick? College is on Saturday and the NFL is on Sunday. I watch and love both..
You are also correct, and I wonder if the games have changed too much or if I've just gotten older and prefer yelling at kids on my lawn on Sundays. Honestly, though, I think when "sports news" starting including holdouts and guys talking about how much money they are worth because they can play a game is when I started losing interest. Then the "sports news" starting sounding like a criminal report every weekend. They seem to have made the choice that guys can do whatever they like as long as they run fast and hit hard. I just don't need it any more, but I"m glad you guys who enjoy it are still able to do so.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So I went to the Saints-Patriots game yesterday in NOLA. I think from what I got outta of it was the feel is mostly based on 1) the city 2) the matchup. Going to a game in NOLA is a lot different than going to a game in KC and Carolina. The atmosphere felt very similar to an Alabama game but instead of a centralized area (Alabama) it was more spread out in the city. I think as a whole places that are destination cities (Nola, Miami, and California) and traditional powers (Pittsburgh, Dallas, GB, and NE) are very exciting places to see a NFL game, but places like Carolina, KC, and Jacksonville are comparable to going to a Sun Belt game.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
So I went to the Saints-Patriots game yesterday in NOLA. I think from what I got outta of it was the feel is mostly based on 1) the city 2) the matchup. Going to a game in NOLA is a lot different than going to a game in KC and Carolina. The atmosphere felt very similar to an Alabama game but instead of a centralized area (Alabama) it was more spread out in the city. I think as a whole places that are destination cities (Nola, Miami, and California) and traditional powers (Pittsburgh, Dallas, GB, and NE) are very exciting places to see a NFL game, but places like Carolina, KC, and Jacksonville are comparable to going to a Sun Belt game.
Have you actually been to a game in KC?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.